Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-9 / 789: Coach, MCE & Premium Economy Seat, Service (master thd) ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Boeing 787-9 Main Cabin and Main Cabin Extra Seats and Service
The 787-9 stretched version of the Dreamliner entered service October 6, 2016.
The aircraft accommodates 207 Main Cabin seats plus 27 Main Cabin Extra seats (for a total of 234 Economy seats)

Related threads:
Boeing 787-9 (789): Discussion of 787-9 coming to AA 6 Oct 2016
Boeing 787-9 / 789 Business (B/E Super Diamond) Seat & Service (master thd)
Print Wikipost

Boeing 787-9 / 789: Coach, MCE & Premium Economy Seat, Service (master thd) ...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2016, 12:47 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by 869
AA mgmt chooses to go straight B-team on their product? I don't believe it. Never will.
Pretty sure Cathay pacific has footrests on all of its PE seats except for bulkheads which have the legrests. Legrests are useless for anyone taller than 5 foot 8.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 4:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
CX has begun retrofitting its first-generation PE seats with legrests in all rows, much to my surprise on my recent flight. I suspect this move is to bring the first-gen seats in line with the second-gen ones found on the A350, all of which have legrests.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
CX has begun retrofitting its first-generation PE seats with legrests in all rows, much to my surprise on my recent flight. I suspect this move is to bring the first-gen seats in line with the second-gen ones found on the A350, all of which have legrests.
Did they feel more comfortable and recline more than the ones on 777? Would be interesting to see how the a350 pe seats compares to CX's regional business class seats.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
AA sucks for going the cheap route on its PE product.
This is really ironic given you chose the username "EQDsSUCK"
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:32 am

We sat in bulkhead PE H&L a couple of days ago DFW - CDG. The seats are very good. I found them to be plenty wide even with the bulkhead entertainment setup. Pillow an blanket somewhere between J and Y but closer to the latter. Cole Haan emenity kit and over the ear non Bose headphones and bottle of water. Service identical to Y in terms of beer or wine only and the ubiquitus chicken or pasta. The only difference was what came out from inside the cart. It was all plated on one tray with no plastic complete with wine glass which, as someone upthread mentioned, was left empty and the big-gulp(not complaining) wine cup on second drink run was used. I think the salad, appetizer, and dessert were same as J.
I can't sleep sitting up and opted for 3 empties in the rear. so I can't comment on a lengthy experience reclined.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 5:09 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS MVPG, WN CP
Originally Posted by alien
I can't sleep sitting up and opted for 3 empties in the rear. so I can't comment on a lengthy experience reclined.
I wish I had that option on my flight. Sat in the bulkhead (9L) a couple weeks ago and absolutely could not get comfortable in the PEY seat for sleeping. Sitting up, the seat was very nice and I would gladly fly it if I wasn't in need of sleep, but I'm not sure what route it would be on where sleep wasn't a priority, perhaps MAD-DFW or CDG-DFW. It just does not seem to recline far enough at all. The difference between Y and PEY recline on AA did not seem significant. If you are someone who can sleep sitting up, then I'm sure you would find the experience very comfortable. Otherwise, you are likely to have issues as I did.

It wasn't just me either. Across the cabin, I did not notice anyone sleeping restfully in the reclined position. Most of the bulkhead passengers slid way down in the seat and tried to get a makeshift recline by placing feet up on bulkhead wall. Some smaller passengers were in more of an awkward fetal position. No one looked comfortable.

I would not pay much of anything extra for this over Y and would not want to fly another redeye in it. In fact, I would probably just opt for a different plane altogether. I flew a CX PEY on their 77G a few days later, and even with its worn fabric seats, the recline was so much better that I slept with no problem. That said, if AA were able to adjust to a further recline, I think that would drastically change my impression of the product. Obviously I didn't pay anything extra for this flight so can't complain too much, but was just left disappointed as I had somewhat high hopes that PEY would be a nice new option for AA and it seems to miss the mark so far.

As for the inflight amenities, we received a decent pillow and blanket, the better headphones (really nothing special if you are looking for noise reduction, but obviously better than Y earbuds), and the food was a good step up from Y, I definitely enjoyed the chicken dinner. We also received the Cole Haan domestic first amenity pack, which had a few useful items like some lotion and lip balm, earplugs and eye mask. The standout feature for this cabin is probably the bathroom, which is a very good size, more like some J cabins. Service was typical from AA: abrupt, cold, surly, unfriendly, etc.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NomadNick
The standout feature for this cabin is probably the bathroom, which is a very good size, more like some J cabins.
I think that's because it partially is the J restroom! There's only 1 restroom at the front of the plane and 30 J passengers; plus it's frequently blocked by the galley or other activity. The 2 restrooms between J and the 21 PE passengers are meant to be shared - I've been sent back to them from J on numerous occasions. BTW, only the L restroom is large - the A restroom is more normal sized. Not sure how that was designed.

Agree with you and the previous posters that the recline was lacking and overall doesn't seem to be that much better than Y; then again, I haven't experienced the 9 across Y yet either.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by flightrisk
I think that's because it partially is the J restroom! There's only 1 restroom at the front of the plane and 30 J passengers; plus it's frequently blocked by the galley or other activity. The 2 restrooms between J and the 21 PE passengers are meant to be shared - I've been sent back to them from J on numerous occasions. BTW, only the L restroom is large - the A restroom is more normal sized. Not sure how that was designed.

Agree with you and the previous posters that the recline was lacking and overall doesn't seem to be that much better than Y; then again, I haven't experienced the 9 across Y yet either.
It's because one has to be handicapped accessible. They choose a J class bathroom for this, because you might as well give the J pax the "nicer" lavatory.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K
I had a great experience in bulkhead row 9J on DFW-CDG and back. Very comfortable.

The legrests are very nice feature, and (even at 6'5") I'd much rather have the first row than second row. I was able to test out the 2nd row. Bulkhead feels roomier.

Service wasn't anything special - though I obviously flew before the cabin was being sold as PE.

On the outbound, was given a special PE menu. Inbound, no menu.

All the talk about over-capacity bathrooms seems very overstated. Did not experience this on either flight.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
Anyone experienced the MCE seats on the 789? PE seats are no longer available for assignment when booking Y when I am looking to travel, just curious how bad 9 across is.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Ok, my Transpac flight next year got swapped to a 789. I am currently in centre aisle bulkhead row 12.

Do any have ideas/experiences on if the exit seats at row 24 are much better/worse - almost the whole main cabin area is available currently for selection.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA
MCE question

I'll be flying on one of these later this year. As an AA Plat I can choose one of the MCE seats and was wondering what you all would recommend?

I usually prefer window so I was hoping for row 12 but both windows are taken so I decided to put myself in 12C.

However, row 24 is wide open. Two downside to that row is, the window seat has no window and the exit door protrudes - still may give more leg room than bulkhead (just based on photos and YouTube videos).

Anyone have any opinion on row 12 vs 24?

Thanks!
Old Apr 29, 2017, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Seems a similar question to mine.

I would expect the lack of responses is more an indication that most here don't travel 'that far back' internationally. Domestically they grab row 9/10/11.
Old May 2, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by mzb00
Anyone experienced the MCE seats on the 789? PE seats are no longer available for assignment when booking Y when I am looking to travel, just curious how bad 9 across is.
In one word: uncomfortable.

Honestly, I'm not a dramatic guy, avoid speaking in absolutes, and try to be as objective as possible. Hence, you won't hear me saying that it the seats are "criminal," "insane," or "torturous." BUT, these aircraft are just plain uncomfortable. The fact that the Y cabin seats in both versions of the 787 are as narrow as, if not more narrow than every other single aisle aircraft in the fleet, says it all.
Old May 3, 2017, 8:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
In one word: uncomfortable.

Honestly, I'm not a dramatic guy, avoid speaking in absolutes, and try to be as objective as possible. Hence, you won't hear me saying that it the seats are "criminal," "insane," or "torturous." BUT, these aircraft are just plain uncomfortable....
Well handled! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.