FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 787-9 / 789: Coach, MCE & Premium Economy Seat, Service (master thd) ...
Old Mar 3, 2017, 5:09 am
NomadNick

Programs: AA PLT, AS MVPG, WN CP
Originally Posted by alien
I can't sleep sitting up and opted for 3 empties in the rear. so I can't comment on a lengthy experience reclined.
I wish I had that option on my flight. Sat in the bulkhead (9L) a couple weeks ago and absolutely could not get comfortable in the PEY seat for sleeping. Sitting up, the seat was very nice and I would gladly fly it if I wasn't in need of sleep, but I'm not sure what route it would be on where sleep wasn't a priority, perhaps MAD-DFW or CDG-DFW. It just does not seem to recline far enough at all. The difference between Y and PEY recline on AA did not seem significant. If you are someone who can sleep sitting up, then I'm sure you would find the experience very comfortable. Otherwise, you are likely to have issues as I did.

It wasn't just me either. Across the cabin, I did not notice anyone sleeping restfully in the reclined position. Most of the bulkhead passengers slid way down in the seat and tried to get a makeshift recline by placing feet up on bulkhead wall. Some smaller passengers were in more of an awkward fetal position. No one looked comfortable.

I would not pay much of anything extra for this over Y and would not want to fly another redeye in it. In fact, I would probably just opt for a different plane altogether. I flew a CX PEY on their 77G a few days later, and even with its worn fabric seats, the recline was so much better that I slept with no problem. That said, if AA were able to adjust to a further recline, I think that would drastically change my impression of the product. Obviously I didn't pay anything extra for this flight so can't complain too much, but was just left disappointed as I had somewhat high hopes that PEY would be a nice new option for AA and it seems to miss the mark so far.

As for the inflight amenities, we received a decent pillow and blanket, the better headphones (really nothing special if you are looking for noise reduction, but obviously better than Y earbuds), and the food was a good step up from Y, I definitely enjoyed the chicken dinner. We also received the Cole Haan domestic first amenity pack, which had a few useful items like some lotion and lip balm, earplugs and eye mask. The standout feature for this cabin is probably the bathroom, which is a very good size, more like some J cabins. Service was typical from AA: abrupt, cold, surly, unfriendly, etc.