Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-9 / 789: Coach, MCE & Premium Economy Seat, Service (master thd) ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Boeing 787-9 Main Cabin and Main Cabin Extra Seats and Service
The 787-9 stretched version of the Dreamliner entered service October 6, 2016.
The aircraft accommodates 207 Main Cabin seats plus 27 Main Cabin Extra seats (for a total of 234 Economy seats)

Related threads:
Boeing 787-9 (789): Discussion of 787-9 coming to AA 6 Oct 2016
Boeing 787-9 / 789 Business (B/E Super Diamond) Seat & Service (master thd)
Print Wikipost

Boeing 787-9 / 789: Coach, MCE & Premium Economy Seat, Service (master thd) ...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
My return flight from CDG to DFW in February on the 787 I was able to book a PE seat with my economy fare. Still hoping for an upgrade to business as I am wait-listed for a SWU.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:36 am

Deleted
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by CLT
Yuck....

I noticed that the seats in Y on the 789 now have leather seat covers.

I truly hope this is a 789-exclusive thing rather than AA following UA's and DL's lead by adding leather in Y on widebody aircraft. It looks so cheap and tacky-plus IMHO, it's incredibly uncomfortable.
It looks like AA's on the way to going leather fleetwide. The covers on the older 737s are being swapped out, and there are reports of similar going in the LUS 321s (seat cover changes only, no other reconfiguration at this time). Reasons given include that they're easier to clean. For me, they're hot and don't absorb farts as well.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:32 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
It looks like AA's on the way to going leather fleetwide. The covers on the older 737s are being swapped out, and there are reports of similar going in the LUS 321s (seat cover changes only, no other reconfiguration at this time). Reasons given include that they're easier to clean. For me, they're hot and don't absorb farts as well.
All LUS Y seats had leather covers. The LUS 321s and 332s are simply being fitted with new leather seat covers in the AA branding.

My original understanding was that domestic aircraft would receive leather covers in Y, with international/premium aircraft (notice how 32Bs have leather seat covers in Y, whilst 32Ts have the international-standard fabric seat covers) having fabric seat covers.

But I agree, leather seats are hot. Hopefully this is just a 789 feature.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Originally Posted by CLT
All LUS Y seats had leather covers. The LUS 321s and 332s are simply being fitted with new leather seat covers in the AA branding.

My original understanding was that domestic aircraft would receive leather covers in Y, with international/premium aircraft (notice how 32Bs have leather seat covers in Y, whilst 32Ts have the international-standard fabric seat covers) having fabric seat covers.

But I agree, leather seats are hot. Hopefully this is just a 789 feature.
The reupholstered A330 seats are also leather as well as the refurbished 75L. I'm afraid this is a sign of things to come.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by Djokison
The reupholstered A330 seats are also leather as well as the refurbished 75L. I'm afraid this is a sign of things to come.
And the A330 seats were leather before any interior updating, too.

Dougie likey leather.

...and I understand that from a maintenance POV. From a comfort POV, as noted here, they are TERRIBLE.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:51 am

Programs: UA 1K
I bet most "casual" flyers would prefer leather if given the choice, just due to aesthetics.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:04 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Flew premium economy LAX-DFW 10/21 window seat. Loved it & could easily fly this ex-US to Europe. The windows & how they operate was the most facinating part of this new plane other than a HUGE bathroom!
Old Nov 30, 2016, 11:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Is there a way to select/pay for PE seats on an award booking with no status? There's no option online.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by frudd38
Is there a way to select/pay for PE seats on an award booking with no status? There's no option online.
You can not purchase seats on an award booking.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 9:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
I flew in the business cabin out then on the returned the Premium Economy Cabin. In the business cabin I would avoid bulkhead as the noise and light from the galley is bothersome.

In the PE cabin I would avoid bulkhead as well. Thank god I moved my seat to the rear row the noise from people using the bathroom was really bothersome, they kept slamming the dam bathroom door. Also the activity in the galley is bothersome.

I was a bit disappointed in the PE cabin as I thought there would be more leg room and I was expecting the seat to have more of a generous decline. I did not find these seats comfortable to sleep in. Meal service was good, but the wines were awful.

But, when I went back and took a look at economy, I was counting my blessings that I sat in Premium Economy. I don't know how those folks in economy can do it. For a long haul flight there should be a law that the airline must provide ample room, they pack them in there like a sardine can. On this plane the economy cabin looked criminal.

In the end I found the Premium Economy Cabin to be fine, decent space for long haul and perhaps with usage the seats will get more comfortable. If I can't get into the business cabin I will defiantly buy a ticket for PE.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 10:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by frudd38
Originally Posted by Djokison
You can not purchase seats on an award booking.
Further to that, I believe the plan is ultimately to have Premium Economy as a bookable cabin, so eventually there won't be a need to purchase the seats as the award itself would be booked into the Premium Economy cabin.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
The cabin goes on sale this Spring, I believe in April, and will be available for upgrades and award bookings later on. Here is a link.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...RIGGER||LPM_PE

Originally Posted by Microwave
Further to that, I believe the plan is ultimately to have Premium Economy as a bookable cabin, so eventually there won't be a need to purchase the seats as the award itself would be booked into the Premium Economy cabin.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:23 am

Programs: UA 1K
Any other trip reports from PE rows, particularly the bulkhead seats?
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:18 pm

AA Premium Economy has better and worse seats?

From photos, it looks like that the first row of AA PE seats have full leg rests which can be put up, while the following rows only have drop down footrests for the passenger to use. Can anyone confirm this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.