Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-9 / 789: Coach, MCE & Premium Economy Seat, Service (master thd) ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Boeing 787-9 Main Cabin and Main Cabin Extra Seats and Service
The 787-9 stretched version of the Dreamliner entered service October 6, 2016.
The aircraft accommodates 207 Main Cabin seats plus 27 Main Cabin Extra seats (for a total of 234 Economy seats)

Related threads:
Boeing 787-9 (789): Discussion of 787-9 coming to AA 6 Oct 2016
Boeing 787-9 / 789 Business (B/E Super Diamond) Seat & Service (master thd)
Print Wikipost

Boeing 787-9 / 789: Coach, MCE & Premium Economy Seat, Service (master thd) ...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2023, 7:47 pm

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
I’m flying DFW-AKL early next year. With a 16 hour scheduled time, comfort would be nice. 😂
I currently have an MCE seat (aisle, middle section), but there’s currently a very low chance that the middle seat will be empty, considering that it’s already taken.
Today I was tinkering with the reservation and noticed a $600 upgrade offer to PE.
For transatlantic flights I usually don’t bother with purchasing PE upgrades since I’m fine in MCE for 8-9 hours. But the AKL flight is twice as long, and I’d like to be somewhat rested when I arrive.
1. Do you think it’s worth $600 to upgrade?
2. I believe row 9 is the one to go for, right? I’m 5’11”, and judging by previous posts I should be able to stretch my legs. Or is the noise from the C class lavs bothersome and it’d be better off a couple of rows further back? 9H could be a good choice, but there’s the risk of 9DE being taken by a couple + kid utilizing the bassinet.

Old Aug 7, 2023, 11:25 am

Programs: AA Exp
Your first question is one that can't fully be answered by anyone except yourself; Is it worth it to you? To me, $600 is pretty steep for a one-way upgrade (that's about the max I'll consider spending for a RT upfare to PE), though it's one of the longest flights in the world and you might find yourself happy you've spent the extra cash on the day of. Keep in mind with those in-app upgrade offers you won't get any extra LPs from that $600, which could be significant if you're trying to chase status.

I can't speak to the lav noise as I don't tend to be bothered by light and noise as much. The main difference with the bulkhead PE seats is that the footrest is attached to the seat (rather than attached to the seat in front of you), and thus provide ankle support. I'm 6'0" and found that those footrests are just long enough for me to sit in, but because I tend to slouch in my seat I find the adjustability of the footrests in rows 10 and 11 are more comfortable for me. The added bonus of row 11 is that you can sometimes fit slimmer items behind your seat for extra storage, though there's always plenty of room in the overhead storage in PE. I've read some people claim they think that the row 11 seats don't recline as much, but I don't think that is the case.
ashill and AirborneLocksmith like this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by AirborneLocksmith
I’m flying DFW-AKL early next year. With a 16 hour scheduled time, comfort would be nice. 😂
I currently have an MCE seat (aisle, middle section), but there’s currently a very low chance that the middle seat will be empty, considering that it’s already taken.
Today I was tinkering with the reservation and noticed a $600 upgrade offer to PE.
For transatlantic flights I usually don’t bother with purchasing PE upgrades since I’m fine in MCE for 8-9 hours. But the AKL flight is twice as long, and I’d like to be somewhat rested when I arrive.
1. Do you think it’s worth $600 to upgrade?
I haven't flown AA's premium economy product, but I once paid $500 for a PE upgrade on BA and would not do so again. I also flew PE recently on a WestJet 789 when it was cheaper than regular economy. AFAIK, the AA PE product is basically similar. I find it appreciably more comfortable than regular economy, but I don't sleep any better or arrive feeling any better rested than in coach; it's still a recliner. The space makes a bigger difference when awake for working; I could have a laptop and tablet out comfortably (albeit with an empty seat next to me in PE). That $600 could go much more effectively to an extra few nights in a hotel or a few really nice dinners (or just stay in the bank account) in my opinion. In MCE, you don't get the width but at least you get the extra knee and laptop room. But as always, the value of $600 may be very different to you than to me. When I lived in Sydney, I loved the similar SYD-DFW nonstop, always flying coach. Great way to get between the eastern half of North America and Australia / New Zealand.

2. I believe row 9 is the one to go for, right? I’m 5’11”, and judging by previous posts I should be able to stretch my legs.
I'm a few inches taller than you and skinny, for reference. And to calibrate my suggestion, I'd probably feel the same about $600 not being worth it even for an upgrade from coach to business (which really would make a difference for feeling rested on arrival).
Old Jan 5, 2024, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I'm in MCE row 12 bulkhead aisle 787-9 AKL-DFW. I am being offerred an upgrade to PE for US$175. Only seats available are 9A, 11A & 11E.

Being 183cm (6') I see reports that 9A should be fine.

However, what would I get in PE for that $175 over and above MCE (aside from a bigger seat)? (I am Qantas Emerald)

*FWIW, the return is being offered for US$700 - nup!

Last edited by serfty; Jan 5, 2024 at 3:40 pm
Old Jan 5, 2024, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by serfty
I'm in MCE row 12 bulkhead aisle 787-9 AKL-DFW. I am being offerred an upgrade to PE for US$175. Only seats available are 9A, 11A & 11E.

However, would I get in PE for that $175 over and above MCE? (I am Qantas Emerald)

1. That's a great price for a flight that long. I would take that offer without any hesitation.

2. 9A is a good seat with a lot of legroom and ability to get up / move without disturbing the person next to you... but it's close to the lav. Also, this is very personal preference... but there's no leg rest, and the video screen is in the arm rest. On a long flight like that, your neck WILL be agitated looking down at the screen that long. (at least mine does... and I'm not an old geezer, either. )

I would probably stick with 9A, because I prioritize hydration on long flights so I visit the lav a lot. YMMV.
serfty likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by serfty

However, would I get in PE for that $175 over and above MCE? (I am Qantas Emerald)

for $175 for this long of a flight 9A it’s a great offer. 9A is the best seat. You won’t be bothered much by lav traffic. It feels very private and no issue with legroom to stretch (im 6’1)
serfty likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 7:23 am

I am looking at Flight 2364 from ORD to LAX; it has the PE configuration and is listed as "789-Boeing 787". The seats are priced as coach and the agent says the seats are just MCE, not PE seats. Does anybody know their status? TIA
Old Feb 12, 2024, 8:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, National Executive, Hilton Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Ord Liza
I am looking at Flight 2364 from ORD to LAX; it has the PE configuration and is listed as "789-Boeing 787". The seats are priced as coach and the agent says the seats are just MCE, not PE seats. Does anybody know their status? TIA
As they don't provide PE service on domestic flights (with the exception of widebody service to Hawaii), the PE seats are sold as regular MCE seats. It's a very good value for the extra space.
CMTinPHL likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
Rows 9 - 11 are PE seats (hard product), but are sold as economy soft product on domestic flights. So you’re going to get economy service in a PE seat.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 8:15 am

mis-posted

Last edited by Ord Liza; Feb 12, 2024 at 8:45 am
Old Feb 12, 2024, 8:18 am

Thanks. That's what I was hoping. I don't need the service, just the bigger seats.
Originally Posted by CMTinPHL
Rows 9 - 11 are PE seats (hard product), but are sold as economy soft product on domestic flights. So you’re going to get economy service in a PE seat.
Originally Posted by LBBflyer
As they don't provide PE service on domestic flights (with the exception of widebody service to Hawaii), the PE seats are sold as regular MCE seats. It's a very good value for the extra space.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 8:27 pm

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
I'm confused...

I'm looking at a flight to BNE in November,
According to aa.com and EF, it will be operated with a 787-9.
But the seat maps on aa.com don't match what I expect, nor do I see anything on aerolopa matching it.
Here's what I see:
Row 1 - 14: Business
Row 15 - 19: PE
Row 20 - 38: Economy

What am I missing? Why doesn't this match up with the 787-9 flights I took last year?
Old Apr 9, 2024, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by AirborneLocksmith
I'm confused...

I'm looking at a flight to BNE in November,
According to aa.com and EF, it will be operated with a 787-9.

What am I missing? Why doesn't this match up with the 787-9 flights I took last year?
It has the new business suites with the sliding door. None have been delivered yet. I dont think.
AirborneLocksmith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.