Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-9 / 789: Coach, MCE & Premium Economy Seat, Service (master thd) ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Boeing 787-9 Main Cabin and Main Cabin Extra Seats and Service
The 787-9 stretched version of the Dreamliner entered service October 6, 2016.
The aircraft accommodates 207 Main Cabin seats plus 27 Main Cabin Extra seats (for a total of 234 Economy seats)

Related threads:
Boeing 787-9 (789): Discussion of 787-9 coming to AA 6 Oct 2016
Boeing 787-9 / 789 Business (B/E Super Diamond) Seat & Service (master thd)
Print Wikipost

Boeing 787-9 / 789: Coach, MCE & Premium Economy Seat, Service (master thd) ...

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2017, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by serfty
Ok, my Transpac flight next year got swapped to a 789. I am currently in centre aisle bulkhead row 12.
I have taken note of posts here and decided that for a 13+ hour flight, this won't be for me, even in MCE / Exit Row.

I have cancelled and booked PE on VA.
Old May 7, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
In one word: uncomfortable.

Honestly, I'm not a dramatic guy, avoid speaking in absolutes, and try to be as objective as possible. Hence, you won't hear me saying that it the seats are "criminal," "insane," or "torturous." BUT, these aircraft are just plain uncomfortable. The fact that the Y cabin seats in both versions of the 787 are as narrow as, if not more narrow than every other single aisle aircraft in the fleet, says it all.
And now that I actually flew on the 789 in MCE, I couldn't agree more - one of the most uncomfortable seats I've ever sat in. Despite sitting in an aisle bulkhead, there just wasn't a way to sleep comfortably. If anything the exit row looked a bit more comfortable (lots of leg room).

I will actively avoid flying a 789 in Economy.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
Ok I'm about an hour from landing in Dallas from Paris, took it over last Monday and back today. Both in PE.

1. Bulkhead row is better than the 2nd or 3rd row. Lav is little noisy but better footrest and way more room.
2. Crew on return still hasn't figured out the plane. I had to show one FA where the power port was, another how to unlock the tv screen in first row, and they had no idea how the footrest worked.
3. Forget about J upgrades. EP, booked 2 months ago, yeah I was 4th on the list. Yeah probably not happening.
4. Dressing on the snack before landing was frozen. That was an interesting touch.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: AA Plat 5M
DFW-ICN Premium Economy Seating Advice (to merge)

Recommendations please? Bulkhead seat with foot rest or non-bulkhead seat with fold-down foot rest?
Thanks.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Try the Aircraft Help Desk for links or search for the 787-9 / 789 or Premium Economy thread about these seats. I'd provide links but my browsing is pretty trammeled on this device.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Plat 5M
Tried the search JDiver - couldn't find anything useful.
Where is the Aircraft Help Desk? (I haven't been on FlyerTalk in a while...)
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold; UA 1MM
Reviews positive comments on Seatguru.com in favor of bulkhead premium economy with full footrests. Row 10 and 11 footrests stated to be no better than main cabin extra.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RKDuke
Tried the search JDiver - couldn't find anything useful.
Where is the Aircraft Help Desk? (I haven't been on FlyerTalk in a while...)
"789" and "PE" are short, so putting them in quotes when you search is needed.

Boeing 787-9 / 789: Coach, MCE & Premium Economy Seat, Service (master thd)
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by DC09
Reviews positive comments on Seatguru.com in favor of bulkhead premium economy with full footrests. Row 10 and 11 footrests stated to be no better than main cabin extra.
Yup, I'm torn between the extra comfort of the full footrest vs the closer proximity to the toilet in the bulkhead seats for my LAX-SYD PE flight next year.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Sat in 13L, a MCE seat in the second row, on DFW-MAD last week. It was actually quite comfortable for coach. This was my first long haul 787 in a window seat so I enjoyed the different options on the window shade. Plus having a power outlet and USB port are both quite nice.

Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
Yup, I'm torn between the extra comfort of the full footrest vs the closer proximity to the toilet in the bulkhead seats for my LAX-SYD PE flight next year.
I can assure you there's not much "extra" or "comfort" in the bulkhead footrests.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by econometrics
I can assure you there's not much "extra" or "comfort" in the bulkhead footrests.
OK back of the cabin it is then, unless the upgrade fairy comes to my rescue
Old Aug 27, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM
Originally Posted by badkneeski
Ok I'm about an hour from landing in Dallas from Paris, took it over last Monday and back today. Both in PE.

1. Bulkhead row is better than the 2nd or 3rd row. Lav is little noisy but better footrest and way more room.
2. Crew on return still hasn't figured out the plane. I had to show one FA where the power port was, another how to unlock the tv screen in first row, and they had no idea how the footrest worked.
3. Forget about J upgrades. EP, booked 2 months ago, yeah I was 4th on the list. Yeah probably not happening.
4. Dressing on the snack before landing was frozen. That was an interesting touch.
Thanks for this PE cabin review. I'm flying LAX-NRT 787-9 in PE next month and being 6'4" I normally avoid the bulkhead, but based on your feedback I'll try bulkhead row 9.

Is there any difference or preference between the bulkhead 9A,C / 9J,L seats (window section) vs 9D-H (center section) seats in PE? If not then I'll probably go with either the 9D or 9H aisle seat, and hope that no one's sitting in the center 9E seat.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Daytime flight from Chicago to London Heathrow on the American Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner in Main Cabin Extra:

Direct video link:

Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
MCE on 787-900

Is there much of a difference between MCE and regular coach seats on 787-900. We are flying LAX-SYD and right now have 14J and H (aisle across from each other) but the entire middle row 25 is empty and I am debating on taking that and hopping the middle seat does not get taken.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.