Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Duplicate, impossible and illogical bookings on AA (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Impossible, Illogical and Duplicate Bookings
"American Airlines specifically prohibits practices commonly known as: (in part)

"Duplicate and impossible/illogical bookings: Duplicate or impossible/illogical American Airlines bookings are prohibited without prior authorization from American Airlines. A duplicate or impossible/illogical booking includes, but is not limited to, bookings for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin and/or destination (such as JFK to DFW and LGA to DFW or DFW to LAX and DFW to ONT), or bookings with connections that depart before the arrival of the inbound flight."

Also please note: "Fraudulent, fictitious and abusive bookings: Fraudulent, fictitious and/or abusive bookings are prohibited. These types of bookings are defined as any bookings made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger. Additionally, creating bookings to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, AAdvantage award inventory, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available, or to gain access to airport facilities, or to circumvent any of American Airlines' fare rules or policies, is prohibited without prior authorization from American Airlines."

Link to AA Conditions of Carriage
Link to Sep 2010 thread announcing AA issuance of rules pertaining to this issue.
Print Wikipost

Duplicate, impossible and illogical bookings on AA (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Perfectly normal to have muti PNRs for a mix of AA and BA flights been that way for a long time though it does confuse those that aren't used to it and wonder where their flights have gone!

You should see one of my upcimgn AA/BA bookings that have had multiple flight cancellations and schedule changes - it's not pretty!
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:39 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by shd9
Lol, the booking is extremely complicated reservation system-wise. You booked a BA (Amadeus) codeshare flight operated by AA (Sabre), on AA France (Amadeus) website.

you can remove the trip by going to your membership account, select my trip, and remove I believe.
Right, but the two PNRs are both Sabre. Neither work on BA even though in the past AA PNRs would bring it up on BA.com. I can't remove it from the "my trips" list as the remove link isn't there even though AA says its cancelled. And the cancel trip link in the PNR detail page doesn't work.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Perfectly normal to have muti PNRs for a mix of AA and BA flights been that way for a long time though it does confuse those that aren't used to it and wonder where their flights have gone!

You should see one of my upcimgn AA/BA bookings that have had multiple flight cancellations and schedule changes - it's not pretty!
Ok, I've never seen it. But in the past couple years my mix of carrier itineraries were for RTW tickets, not a straight round trip.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 10:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
AA Hold Cancelled (Duplicate or Impossible Booking)

Yesterday I put two domestic business class flights on American Airlines on a free hold until midnight tonight using miles. I had until midnight PST tonight to book (in about 3 hours). When I went to book the flight earlier tonight, it said the hold was cancelled. I just spoke to American Airlines Reservations and they said my hold was cancelled by the system because because my OH had previously made a mileage booking under his AAdvantage account for us to fly (on a completely different route but on the same day).

I knew that my partner a while back had reserved economy flights for us to go to a different destination but when we saw the business class special, we decided that the new destination and price was a much better option. Since AA now don't charge for cancelling mileage flights, we figured my partner could cancel his previously booked flights on his account later.

AA were fairly sympathetic but said there was nothing we could do because the biz flights I had on hold until midnight tonight were a web special. And they cannot do anything to reinstate a web special. And of course, the flights are now almost double the price =/

I had no idea that there was a risk my hold might not be honored because my OH had previously booked different flights on his account for him and me on the same day. I only put it on hold because I was heading out and it said I had until today to complete the reservation.

I am guessing I am out of luck but does anyone know any department that might be able to fix it for me?
Old Nov 17, 2020, 12:49 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
nothing can be done. The system will cancel duplicate reservations, as you discovered. sucks, but it can't be fixed or changed.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Depending on how far out the flights are I wouldn't stress too much, decent probability the web specials will come back at the good rate. Just check again today and over the next few days.

This time, make sure to cancel your other reservations before booking the web specials . You can cancel your other reservation online, no need to call AA.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 5:26 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I also think you only had until midnight CST, not PST, if I remember correctly.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I also think you only had until midnight CST, not PST, if I remember correctly.
That would be dependent on where OP is originating from. The hold is valid till midnight in the departure time zone.
SPN Lifer, LovePrunes and Antarius like this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your contract with AA expressly prohibits you from duplicate or "impossible" trips (see below). AA's system will auto-cancel one or both e-tickets and reservations when an "impossible" overlap is discovered. The intent is to stop people from holding space which they do not intend to use. While there is nothing you can do to recover your cancelled space right now, do cancel your other e-tickets immediately so that if something pops up, you will not suffer the same fate again.

Prohibited booking practices

Reservations made to exploit or circumvent fare and ticket rules are prohibited.

Examples include (but are not limited to):
  • Purchasing a ticket without intending to fly all flights to gain lower fares (hidden city ticketing)
  • Buying a ticket without intending to travel, including to gain access to our airport lounges or other facilities
  • Combining 2 or more roundtrip excursion fares end-to-end to circumvent minimum stay requirements (back-to-back ticketing)
  • Booking a ticket in someone's name without the person's consent (which is illegal)
  • Holding reservations for reasons like securing upgrades, blocking seats or obtaining lower fares
  • Booking duplicate or impossible trips, for example multiple trips for the same passenger around the same time (trips a passenger physically could not complete)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
As others have stated, AA systems are programmed to actively look for this and cancel duplicate/overlapping/impossible bookings for the same passengers.

If you want to do something like this - i.e. book a new reservation but don’t cancel the existing one until you have the new one confirmed - my suggestion is to do it quickly and with the help of a phone agent. They can temporarily prohibit the new booking from getting cancelled but you have to be actively working on canceling the old one.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by javabytes
If you want to do something like this - i.e. book a new reservation but don’t cancel the existing one until you have the new one confirmed - my suggestion is to do it quickly and with the help of a phone agent. They can temporarily prohibit the new booking from getting cancelled but you have to be actively working on canceling the old one.
That's definitely great advise but for now, the OP should consider alternative flights
Often1 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 11:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by javabytes
As others have stated, AA systems are programmed to actively look for this and cancel duplicate/overlapping/impossible bookings for the same passengers.

Interesting, so this applies to booked tickets vs just holds. e.g. if I had completed booking the second reservation and paid for the taxes etc. it still would have been cancelled? What if someone wanted to pay cash for two flights one hour apart because they were not sure which flight they wanted to take, and they were happy to eat the cost of paying twice? That is just not allowed?

I can understand the logic behind the rules, especially now that cancellation rules are much more flexible. Not fair to AA other passengers to hold space you don't intend to use or pay for. Just wish I'd known beforehand.

All very useful to know. Thanks.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Interesting, so this applies to booked tickets vs just holds. e.g. if I had completed booking the second reservation and paid for the taxes etc. it still would have been cancelled? What if someone wanted to pay cash for two flights one hour apart because they were not sure which flight they wanted to take, and they were happy to eat the cost of paying twice? That is just not allowed?
That is a pretty odd scenario, if someone really wanted to throw money away like that. Regardless, aa.com would likely catch this before you even got to the point of paying. I've tried several times to price and book new flights before I cancelled my old ones, yet AA.com stops me before I get to the payment screen. If/when I do this, I use a TA for one of the tickets and then immediately cancel the other ticket I don't intend to use. However, while using a TA would likely "allow" you to do this, AA's systems would likely catch it eventually, especially if the FF # was in both reservations and/or there was a clear match on name, address, credit card, trusted traveler #, etc. (I don't think anyone knows for sure exactly what logic AA uses to detect duplicates and/or impossible routings.)
Old Nov 17, 2020, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Enigma368

I can understand the logic behind the rules, especially now that cancellation rules are much more flexible. Not fair to AA other passengers to hold space you don't intend to use or pay for. Just wish I'd known beforehand.

All very useful to know. Thanks.
AA's systems will not cancel overlapping bookings as long as both flights are fully ticketed and not on hold. That's not to say you might not get a call from AA asking about them, however the system will not arbitrarily cancel one or the other like it will if one is on hold.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Even in ordinary times when one is most typically tossing a ticket if it can't be flown or at least paying a significant fee to use any credit, this issue most often arises when one has travel booked and then plans change. Simply changing a ticket A-B-C to A-B-D may be vastly more expensive than tossing the B-C segment and purchasing a ticket B-D. But, it may not work on the same carrier. I don't know of a carrier which permits this. It is simply that not all carriers are vigilant.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Often1
Even in ordinary times when one is most typically tossing a ticket if it can't be flown or at least paying a significant fee to use any credit, this issue most often arises when one has travel booked and then plans change. Simply changing a ticket A-B-C to A-B-D may be vastly more expensive than tossing the B-C segment and purchasing a ticket B-D. But, it may not work on the same carrier. I don't know of a carrier which permits this. It is simply that not all carriers are vigilant.
I have never heard of an instance of a carrier claiming that purchasing a separate ticket violates the terms of another ticket, except perhaps in the case of nested tickets where the goal is to evade a minimum-stay requirement. I can't imagine a carrier saying you can't purchase a one-way ticket and instead you have to pay the change fee and fare difference on a ticket you already have. I have done this many times, and will continue to do it without the least worry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.