Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Duplicate, impossible and illogical bookings on AA (master thd)

Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Impossible, Illogical and Duplicate Bookings
"American Airlines specifically prohibits practices commonly known as: (in part)

"Duplicate and impossible/illogical bookings: Duplicate or impossible/illogical American Airlines bookings are prohibited without prior authorization from American Airlines. A duplicate or impossible/illogical booking includes, but is not limited to, bookings for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin and/or destination (such as JFK to DFW and LGA to DFW or DFW to LAX and DFW to ONT), or bookings with connections that depart before the arrival of the inbound flight."

Also please note: "Fraudulent, fictitious and abusive bookings: Fraudulent, fictitious and/or abusive bookings are prohibited. These types of bookings are defined as any bookings made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger. Additionally, creating bookings to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, AAdvantage award inventory, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available, or to gain access to airport facilities, or to circumvent any of American Airlines' fare rules or policies, is prohibited without prior authorization from American Airlines."

Link to AA Conditions of Carriage
Link to Sep 2010 thread announcing AA issuance of rules pertaining to this issue.
Print Wikipost

Duplicate, impossible and illogical bookings on AA (master thd)

Old Feb 5, 2021, 11:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
So having spoken to AA again this morning and having had them reinstate the dropped segment and make another annotation on the booking I checked this evening and the segment has yet again been dropped. So frustrating! I will have to call again but not really sure what the permanent solution would be?
Old Jul 30, 2021, 6:38 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Hey all, I'm thinking of a Fall booking where Itinerary-A arrives late morning on the US-West Coast, but Itinerary-B departs same day late evening from the US-East Coast. Both are intl, and AA-operated, but are otherwise quite different (different origin, destination, etc.). I think it is technically possible to get between the two itineraries with a transcon given the interval timing, but from wetrat0's experience above, it sounds like it would still be in AA's crosshairs: two segments on the same day (but still physically possible).

The idea was to buy and secure pricing now, with a possible cancellation of one of the trips later. Might ultimately keep both though.

In short, does it seem to tricky to have two segments on two different itineraries on the same day? (I wonder if AA's system considers the location of the two itineraries too...) I'm willing to space the itineraries an extra day apart but wondering if it's an issue at all.

Originally Posted by _fx
Yes. Surprise your spouse with a romantic weekend getaway, or your kids with a trip to Disneyland? Straight to jail with you.
This is Parks and Rec, right?
Old Jul 31, 2021, 5:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Hey all, I'm thinking of a Fall booking where Itinerary-A arrives late morning on the US-West Coast, but Itinerary-B departs same day late evening from the US-East Coast. Both are intl, and AA-operated, but are otherwise quite different (different origin, destination, etc.). I think it is technically possible to get between the two itineraries with a transcon given the interval timing…
I don’t think this should be a problem or automatically flagged/cancelled as an impossible booking by AA’s automated logic. I’ve had similar legitimate bookings over the years - essentially needing to confirm two very different trips on the same day with no overlapping flight segments until my exact travel requirement was determined - and there haven’t been any issues. IME, where you’ll run into trouble is if the flight segments actually overlap, or you’ve got multiple bookings for the same routing/city-pair segment on the same day.

-FlyerBeek
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
In short, does it seem to tricky to have two segments on two different itineraries on the same day? (I wonder if AA's system considers the location of the two itineraries too...) I'm willing to space the itineraries an extra day apart but wondering if it's an issue at all.
As long as you go ahead and purchase both itineraries then you shouldn't have a problem. The issues in this thread typically happen when one or both itineraries are on hold. AA's system doesn't arbitrarily cancel a fully purchased/ticketed itinerary.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
As long as you go ahead and purchase both itineraries then you shouldn't have a problem. The issues in this thread typically happen when one or both itineraries are on hold. AA's system doesn't arbitrarily cancel a fully purchased/ticketed itinerary.
I did this on two matching LAX-AKL-LAX award bookings for spring 2022, one on AA and the other on a partner. Historically, AA has cancelled its planned AKL schedule more than once, and I wanted a backup plan. Of course, AA recently cancelled its flights to and from AKL for the forseeable future, so if NZ opens up by spring 2022 (which looks very unlikely right now), we can still get there.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Ghost/Duplicate Reservations

Heres a new one for me. Opened the AApp tonight to check the status of an upgrade. To my surprise theres a random reservation on hold.

Record locator matches a previous record from a flight I had on hold but it was a different route, date, and even airline. The phantom reservation shows a United flight to Hawaii leaving DEN. My original was an AA flight from FL to NC and I never actually ticketed it (expired last week).

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?
Old Aug 25, 2021, 8:30 pm
Suspended

I do not get that however I do get phantom "on hold" bookings of trips I've looked at but not purchased. I also get phantom bookings sometimes of trips I've already cancelled. Have to restart the app every time, gets annoying as the Delta app it immediately goes away forever.

TL;DR, the AA app is super glitchy and has a mind of its own.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Well, it looks like its on request now so thats interesting. Maybe Im going to Hawaii in November.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum Ambassador, AA Gold
Hi - Actually these ghost reservations are very annoying. I tend to look at various cities on the same time frame and due to these ghost reservations, I get a message saying that I already have a similar reservation. Thus, I have to go and cancel the ghost reservation. This seems to be a rather new development as I do not recall having to cancel ghost reservations in the past. For now, my solution is to use google flights more often.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 5:35 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NativePhD
Hi - Actually these ghost reservations are very annoying. I tend to look at various cities on the same time frame and due to these ghost reservations, I get a message saying that I already have a similar reservation. Thus, I have to go and cancel the ghost reservation. This seems to be a rather new development as I do not recall having to cancel ghost reservations in the past. For now, my solution is to use google flights more often.
I've had the same issue. However, I am grateful for them, as I've used them at least twice to recover last-minute personal trips where the reservation system kicked me out (looking at multiple connection offerings for chance of an upgrade), and I was able to find the ghost booking reference and actually book it (since the price had jumped up significantly since looking). I've never had a ghost booking reference appear as a flight different to the one intended (destination or airline) however.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 5:17 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I had this happen earlier this week while trying to reserve some JL award routings. It bombed out each time but it ended up making a record locator without saying so. I later found them (4!) on my trip list while on the phone with an agent. I think this is a new behavior.

I suspect that it is successfully creating a PNR and moving the profile into it but failing to sell (confirm) the segments. Whats odd, though, is that the PNR isnt automatically canceled more quickly.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by tetudc
I had this happen earlier this week while trying to reserve some JL award routings. It bombed out each time but it ended up making a record locator without saying so. I later found them (4!) on my trip list while on the phone with an agent. I think this is a new behavior.
I just had a similar thing happen where I was making a normal AA paid booking, got to the purchase page, but didnt purchase since it wouldnt let me use one of my credits online. PNR was still created, which I guess was kind of useful to have when I called in.

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaMD88
the AA app is super glitchy and has a mind of its own.
No kidding. I also have an active reservation that doesnt even appear when logged into the app.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Delta silver, Marriott Ambassador Hilton gold
Can you book more than one ticket on same AA flight

Hi,

I currently have a non refundable biz class ticket on AA. My return needs to change and that will an additional cost which is over $6K if I do it right now. If I purchase a new one way ticket CDG-RDU in biz that is also over $6K.

If I book a new ticket with just RDU-LHR outbound in economy and return in biz on a different date that would be under $4K. My original tix is just under $5K and I don't want to spend $11K to fly to CDG in September. Will AA have "issues" with me flying RDU-LHR with one seat in biz and one in economy? Will they cancel my LHR--CDG in biz, I didn't put that portion into the "new" ticket.

If I cancel my return CDG-RDU from my first biz ticket after I get there will I get any flight credit back?

If I can do this do I actually check in with biz and then go out of the plan and also scan my economy boarding pass well so they don't cancel my return flight?

I need to keep my current outbound flight due a large oncology meeting there are NO flights available that day without 2+ connections and still running $11K. I did look into other airlines.

Sorry if this is a stupid Q and appreciate any insights.

Rachel

Last edited by rachel; Aug 23, 2022 at 8:55 am Reason: add some context why not book another airline
Old Aug 23, 2022, 8:57 am

Programs: BAEC
Yeah I dont think this will work. You cant fly two seats on the same flight (reminds me of the old expression you cant sit on two chairs with one ass, but I digress). Pretty certain no one would let you scan two boarding passes. And youd need to do that twice: once to get through security and once to get on the plane. As soon as you dont fly one part of the ticket, the rest will be cancelled.

You say its non-refundableany chance you can get it exchanged for flight credit? And use that to book the new ticket?
Old Aug 23, 2022, 9:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage
If you double book on AA or book conflicting itineraries AA will auto cancel one of them. There are some reports that if you don't enter you FF number on one of the flights you can get away with it but I wouldn't say that's guaranteed. Also, you must complete all segments (flights) or the remainder of your itinerary will be cancelled. You can walk away from the last flight with no repercussions as long as you don't make a habit out of it. However, you won't be able to check bags and always run a risk of irregular operations in which you will end up in a city you don't want to be in, if the latter is applicable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.