Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Duplicate, impossible and illogical bookings on AA (master thd)

Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Impossible, Illogical and Duplicate Bookings
"American Airlines specifically prohibits practices commonly known as: (in part)

"Duplicate and impossible/illogical bookings: Duplicate or impossible/illogical American Airlines bookings are prohibited without prior authorization from American Airlines. A duplicate or impossible/illogical booking includes, but is not limited to, bookings for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin and/or destination (such as JFK to DFW and LGA to DFW or DFW to LAX and DFW to ONT), or bookings with connections that depart before the arrival of the inbound flight."

Also please note: "Fraudulent, fictitious and abusive bookings: Fraudulent, fictitious and/or abusive bookings are prohibited. These types of bookings are defined as any bookings made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger. Additionally, creating bookings to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, AAdvantage award inventory, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available, or to gain access to airport facilities, or to circumvent any of American Airlines' fare rules or policies, is prohibited without prior authorization from American Airlines."

Link to AA Conditions of Carriage
Link to Sep 2010 thread announcing AA issuance of rules pertaining to this issue.
Print Wikipost

Duplicate, impossible and illogical bookings on AA (master thd)

Old Aug 23, 2022, 9:15 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN CP, Hilton Diamond
You can often change your return after you have flown your outbound ticket for less money (or no money) than changing your ticket before you begin your journey. You'll need to check your fare rules for specifics.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Delta silver, Marriott Ambassador Hilton gold
Thank you for all the advice. It looks like I will fly on my original ticket and just suck it up and purchase a new flight home for $6K.

Do you think I will get any fight credit back from my original ticket if I cancel the return after I use the outbound?

I appreciate the expertise.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by rachel
Thank you for all the advice. It looks like I will fly on my original ticket and just suck it up and purchase a new flight home for $6K.

Do you think I will get any fight credit back from my original ticket if I cancel the return after I use the outbound?

You probably won't get much back if you effectively convert the original ticket to one way. Have you checked whether your ticket will reprice at historic prices if you change it after flying the first leg (as suggested above)? This may be the cheapest solution if there is space when you do it.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

Don't book a one-way for $6k, that's silly. Just book a CDG-RDU roundtrip, depending on dates it can be had for $3500-$4500. Place the return at a date way off in the future when you might be able to use it.

Or to save even more money just book it mixed class with business CDG-RDU then economy RDU-CDG.

This gives you 3 options for the return leg: 1) Actually fly the trip if you can use it or change the dates later to something better, 2) if/when there's a major schedule change just cancel it for a partial refund, 3) just cancel it anyways for no refund. All 3 are less expensive than $6k and have potential upside.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Delta silver, Marriott Ambassador Hilton gold
That is great advice but due to my travel dates it is pulling up at $8K for a roundtrip even with return flight in 2023.

The issue is that this is for the largest EU based oncology meeting taking place in Paris, which is why I'm going to be there, and flights are just booked solid with little to no availability. This meeting has been virtual for the last 2 years and everyone now traveling. The hotel situation isn't much better with over inflated prices for crappy hotels or over 600 EURO/night for a decent one. I know other folks dealing with $11-13K flights which is total insanity.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
That is great advice but due to my travel dates it is pulling up at $8K for a roundtrip even with return flight in 2023.

The issue is that this is for the largest EU based oncology meeting taking place in Paris, which is why I'm going to be there, and flights are just booked solid with little to no availability. This meeting has been virtual for the last 2 years and everyone now traveling. The hotel situation isn't much better with over inflated prices for crappy hotels or over 600 EURO/night for a decent one. I know other folks dealing with $11-13K flights which is total insanity.
You mentioned a CDG - LHR leg. Could you do Paris - London via train and then just start your return from LHR? Maybe that pulls up better pricing, but obviously it takes longer
Old Aug 23, 2022, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Have you checked fares on other airlines to the USA and starting friom other European starting poiints. e.g. how much can you get a ticket from AMS-RDU?

For a daytime flight, might just want to consider Premium Economy - Icelandair flies to RDU and its premium cabin may be only around $1150 from KEF
Old Aug 23, 2022, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Hi,

I currently have a non refundable biz class ticket on AA. My return needs to change and that will an additional cost which is over $6K if I do it right now. If I purchase a new one way ticket CDG-RDU in biz that is also over $6K.

If I book a new ticket with just RDU-LHR outbound in economy and return in biz on a different date that would be under $4K. My original tix is just under $5K and I don't want to spend $11K to fly to CDG in September. Will AA have "issues" with me flying RDU-LHR with one seat in biz and one in economy? Will they cancel my LHR--CDG in biz, I didn't put that portion into the "new" ticket.

If I cancel my return CDG-RDU from my first biz ticket after I get there will I get any flight credit back?

If I can do this do I actually check in with biz and then go out of the plan and also scan my economy boarding pass well so they don't cancel my return flight?

I need to keep my current outbound flight due a large oncology meeting there are NO flights available that day without 2+ connections and still running $11K. I did look into other airlines.

Sorry if this is a stupid Q and appreciate any insights.

Rachel
Consider looking at LHR-RDU-LHR.... this way the 'leg you want' is the first, then book the return 6 months later and ditch it.

Better, book this with your trusted travel agent, then he/she can just unload that return coupon/flight (NOT 'cancel it' and request a refund, just take you off the flight)... Yes, there will be a 'live ticket' out there, but not for any flight.>>AA will never find it.

Sure its a technical violation, but there is no chance they catch it and hose your travel plans

And sometimes flights are cheaper depending on where the originate.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 10:58 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I'd still seriously consider changing the return after flying the outbound. You'll likely save a lot of money.

If you really want to firm something up now there are business class fares under $3800 roundtrip on Iberia/AA if you start your trip from Paris Orly (ORY) instead of CDG...
Old Aug 24, 2022, 8:12 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Consider looking at LHR-RDU-LHR.... this way the 'leg you want' is the first, then book the return 6 months later and ditch it.

Better, book this with your trusted travel agent, then he/she can just unload that return coupon/flight (NOT 'cancel it' and request a refund, just take you off the flight)... Yes, there will be a 'live ticket' out there, but not for any flight.>>AA will never find it.

Sure its a technical violation, but there is no chance they catch it and hose your travel plans

And sometimes flights are cheaper depending on where the originate.
can you explain more about this?
Old Aug 24, 2022, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink
can you explain more about this?
Which part?

Lets say you have RDU-LHR and a return LHR-RDU

But you want a different return.... what you have described is buying RDU-LHR in coach, and somehow using it, just to be able to fly the return, LHR-RDU in biz. Right?

Instead book LHR-RDU in biz...then a return in coach say 6 weeks later, in coach. You fly the first leg of THIS ticket as your return from the other one.

This MAY be against AA rules- in terms of nested tickets. There is some nuance to this and I have tangled with others about this. AA has some very specific langauge as to how they define 'nested and back to back'. As I recall it is when you do this to avoid a saturday stay restriction of length of trip or to 'circumvent fare or ticket rules'...

Nothing in this post should be taken to be an enticement to violate ANY AA rule.

Anyway, YMMV. Be nice if you had a travel agent to discuss this with, a good one- not the cruise bookers we seem to have now...
Old Aug 24, 2022, 9:20 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Which part?

Lets say you have RDU-LHR and a return LHR-RDU

But you want a different return.... what you have described is buying RDU-LHR in coach, and somehow using it, just to be able to fly the return, LHR-RDU in biz. Right?

Instead book LHR-RDU in biz...then a return in coach say 6 weeks later, in coach. You fly the first leg of THIS ticket as your return from the other one.

This MAY be against AA rules- in terms of nested tickets. There is some nuance to this and I have tangled with others about this. AA has some very specific langauge as to how they define 'nested and back to back'. As I recall it is when you do this to avoid a saturday stay restriction of length of trip or to 'circumvent fare or ticket rules'...

Nothing in this post should be taken to be an enticement to violate ANY AA rule.

Anyway, YMMV. Be nice if you had a travel agent to discuss this with, a good one- not the cruise bookers we seem to have now...
Sorry, this part "then he/she can just unload that return coupon/flight (NOT 'cancel it' and request a refund, just take you off the flight)... Yes, there will be a 'live ticket' out there, but not for any flight.>>AA will never find it."

What's the technical nuance between coupon removal and ticket cancellation?
Old Aug 25, 2022, 10:59 am

Ah.

A 'ticket' is a collection of flight coupons. In the old days, it was paper- a ticket with a number (001-xxxxxxx) and then coupons. The coupons were basically the 'proof'... yes the airline also kept track of how many seats had been booked, but the ticket was the..well..'ticket' to getting on.

Now, your booking is a electronic record that consists of individual flight reservations, all collected into one and then ticketed with that same 001 number.

A travel agent can make changes- they can take you off of a flight, put you on another. If the latter, you will not show as 'confirmed ticketed' on the new booking. the TA would need to 're-ticket' with the new bookings in order for the new flights to be confirmed ticketed

In the world of 'everyone books themselves using the AA app', this is all done at once and forced. Or when you call and want to make a change...they make the change, send it over to ticketing. So both steps are linked.

But if 'someone' simply cancels the booking on a leg, and doesnt re-ticket, there is no process or program that checks.... (I mean honestly, right? "say, we saw execplat didnt fly this flight, we should check his ticket -maybe we owe him money?" There are lots of reasons this may occur, many innocent. And in fact it may not be a technical violation to 'not take a flight and not reticket it immediately (or ever?)'

Please understand that me discussing this is not an inducement to break an AA rules.

This is stuff a *good* travel agent should know.

When I was doing a lot of flying (200-250k mostly domestic) it would not be unusual for me to do two transcons a week, and at times have to make changes on the fly (sometmes literally) to get to a new city. Lots of occasions to simply abandon a trip and start a new booking.....
Old Aug 26, 2022, 9:45 pm

How Does AA Treat Two Tickets for Same Person on Same Flight

My Chicago-based brother planned a trip to LA, but he didn't know if he was leaving from Charlotte or Miami.

So he has one ticket (AA coach ticket, AA metal):

Outbound: Charlotte-DFW-LAX
Return: LAX-DFW-Chicago

He has another ticket on the same days and the only thing that is different is the first flight:

Outbound: Miami-DFW-LAX
Return: LAX-DFW-Chicago

So, on the DFW-LAX, LAX-DFW, and DFW-Chicago legs he has two booked seats for each flight.

The flights are mid-October. He was just going to cancel the one he doesn't use once he can make that decision. Will AA spot this and what will they do--if anything--about it?
Old Aug 26, 2022, 10:10 pm

Were you buying round-trip fares?

most domestic airfare, but not all is all priced one way, seems like thatís the better option for them.

aa might cancel one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.