Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Duplicate, impossible and illogical bookings on AA (master thd)

Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Impossible, Illogical and Duplicate Bookings
"American Airlines specifically prohibits practices commonly known as: (in part)

"Duplicate and impossible/illogical bookings: Duplicate or impossible/illogical American Airlines bookings are prohibited without prior authorization from American Airlines. A duplicate or impossible/illogical booking includes, but is not limited to, bookings for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin and/or destination (such as JFK to DFW and LGA to DFW or DFW to LAX and DFW to ONT), or bookings with connections that depart before the arrival of the inbound flight."

Also please note: "Fraudulent, fictitious and abusive bookings: Fraudulent, fictitious and/or abusive bookings are prohibited. These types of bookings are defined as any bookings made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger. Additionally, creating bookings to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, AAdvantage award inventory, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available, or to gain access to airport facilities, or to circumvent any of American Airlines' fare rules or policies, is prohibited without prior authorization from American Airlines."

Link to AA Conditions of Carriage
Link to Sep 2010 thread announcing AA issuance of rules pertaining to this issue.
Print Wikipost

Duplicate, impossible and illogical bookings on AA (master thd)

Old Aug 27, 2022, 6:09 am

I always thought this wasn't allowed & cancellation & hate mail from AA would ensue.

If that's not the case, it'd be a godsend for me. Even if I end up with a bunch of flight credits. These days I never know until 1-2 days prior if I'm going to need to leave from DCA or BUF.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 6:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Is he using an AAdvantage number on the flights? Or is he just a non-AAdvantage member passenger? If it's the later, he may be ok as there can be two people with the same name on a flight (even with the same address...think of juniors and seniors). If he used an AAdvantage number, then they can say it is a double booking.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Automation will likely catch this and cancel one of them. Hope the surviving ticket is the one he really wants to fly....
Antarius likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 10:41 am

I fly WN alot. Their computers would cancel the duplicate ticket within 30 minutes (refund the credit card) if the same frequent flyer number was used. I would think AA would do something similar since it is a simple macro they can run.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 10:50 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
If it's the later, he may be ok as there can be two people with the same name on a flight (even with the same address...think of juniors and seniors).
Jrs/Srs probably don't have the same birthdate, email, phone, etc. AA can identify dupes with or without an AAdvantage number.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Last week I had the following booked:

ABQ-PHX-LAS on August 21; and
PHL-PHX-LAS on August 21.

The PHX-LAS flight was on the same flight on both tickets.

I wasn't sure which I was taking until August 18 (when I flew from PHL to ABQ) and as soon as I boarded PHL-ABQ I cancelled the PHL-PHX-LAS booking. I flew ABQ-PHX-LAS without incident. Interestingly, I was upgraded PHX-LAS on both itins, so I actually had two F seats on the same plane at the same time for a few hours.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 7:26 pm

AA flight?

Quite an odd question for the BA and AA forum. About 6 months ago I booked a multicity trip. Quite a complex one: TLV-LHR-JFK-MIA-JFK-LHR-TLV. Each time JFK was only a stopover on the way to/from LHR. As far as I can remember, all flights were were AA operated except to/from TLV which was BA. The whole booking was made directly at BA, so every flight was a codeshare or direct BA. After lots of cancellations and changes it ended up being TLV-LHR-MIA-LHR-TLV, entirely cutting out JFK. Then after one more cancellation I cancelled and got a refund for the entire booking as found a better price for those direct flights.

Skipping forward to about an hour ago I have now received an email from AA asking me to check in to my JFK-LHR flight. I had no idea this existed. However, when I go into the booking I can see my flight showing as any other flight would. I've even played around with the seats and I can see on EF that my changes being made are going through. It appears to be a fully functioning booking. However, I cannot cancel or change the booking as it asks for me to go to the site I booked it on (BA). BA does not recognise my PNR, presumably as it was cancelled from their end.

Does anyone know what can be done with this and what problems this will cause. Bearing in mind this flight leaves approx 7pm and I'm scheduled on MIA-LHR also by AA at 7:30pm and I actually intend to take this flight. What problems will this cause in the system? Can it be rectified? Any chance of me getting a voucher for that flight😂

Thanks in advance ​​​​​
Old Aug 27, 2022, 7:32 pm

One thing to add: any chance of a name change? I think I would be able to find friends/family who wouldn't mind a last minute business flight to London
Old Aug 27, 2022, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Jzlerner
One thing to add: any chance of a name change? I think I would be able to find friends/family who wouldn't mind a last minute business flight to London
Yeah, no.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 8:24 pm

So what to do? I have 2 flights at the same time, only one I intend on flying. I'm already seeing problems as I cannot check in online for the flight I want to take.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
So what to do? I have 2 flights at the same time, only one I intend on flying. I'm already seeing problems as I cannot check in online for the flight I want to take.
Call them - quickly. Or twitter.

The inability to check in on line is not uncommon with international itineraries....
Old Aug 27, 2022, 8:27 pm

I know check in issue isn't abnormal, but I have a feeling it's to do with this issue. Their Twitter team told me to contact BA. BA live chat is closed until 8am GMT and I have no wish to sit on hold for 2 hours. A bit stuck
Old Aug 27, 2022, 9:27 pm

I know check in issue isn't abnormal, but I have a feeling it's to do with this issue. Their Twitter team told me to contact BA. BA live chat is closed until 8am GMT and I have no wish to sit on hold for 2 hours. A bit stuck
BA doesn't have a call back feature? Sounds important enough you are going to have to talk to an agent ASAP
Old Aug 27, 2022, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by bgasser
BA doesn't have a call back feature? Sounds important enough you are going to have to talk to an agent ASAP
😂😂😂 One could only dream. Not only no call back feature but their Twitter team takes a week to respond, live chat is barely available and takes up to an hour to connect AND most of their phone teams don't even put you in the hold line as they're so busy
Old Aug 27, 2022, 9:45 pm

😂😂😂 One could only dream. Not only no call back feature but their Twitter team takes a week to respond, live chat is barely available and takes up to an hour to connect AND most of their phone teams don't even put you in the hold line as they're so busy
Sorry to hear that. One of the things AA does well which I appreciate is being able to pick a call back time and the ability to hold a ticket for 24-48 hours for free. Good luck with BA and your travels. I hope LHR issues/delays are getting better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.