Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Duplicate, impossible and illogical bookings on AA (master thd)

Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Impossible, Illogical and Duplicate Bookings
"American Airlines specifically prohibits practices commonly known as: (in part)

"Duplicate and impossible/illogical bookings: Duplicate or impossible/illogical American Airlines bookings are prohibited without prior authorization from American Airlines. A duplicate or impossible/illogical booking includes, but is not limited to, bookings for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin and/or destination (such as JFK to DFW and LGA to DFW or DFW to LAX and DFW to ONT), or bookings with connections that depart before the arrival of the inbound flight."

Also please note: "Fraudulent, fictitious and abusive bookings: Fraudulent, fictitious and/or abusive bookings are prohibited. These types of bookings are defined as any bookings made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger. Additionally, creating bookings to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, AAdvantage award inventory, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available, or to gain access to airport facilities, or to circumvent any of American Airlines' fare rules or policies, is prohibited without prior authorization from American Airlines."

Link to AA Conditions of Carriage
Link to Sep 2010 thread announcing AA issuance of rules pertaining to this issue.
Print Wikipost

Duplicate, impossible and illogical bookings on AA (master thd)

Old Aug 27, 2022, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by bgasser
Sorry to hear that. One of the things AA does well which I appreciate is being able to pick a call back time and the ability to hold a ticket for 24-48 hours for free. Good luck with BA and your travels. I hope LHR issues/delays are getting better.
Yep. AA customer service is significantly better than BA's although most companies are. Side point: in my humble opinion the issues at LHR were overated. On the worst day I was there departures took 1.5 hours and arrivals took an hour. It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be
Old Mar 19, 2023, 11:31 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
I assume there is no chance AA will ever cancel a ticketed reservation in favor of an un-ticketed hold?

I am trying to rebook an existing partner award reservation for a more favorable routing/date — but given the potential for disruption I don't feel comfortable cancelling the old reservation before the new one successfully tickets (and am waiting on a mileage transfer from Marriott to have enough miles to ticket the second without canceling the first).

Currently I have BOS-NRT ticketed on one date, and BOS-JFK-HND on hold for the day prior (which I'd like to actually change to BOS-JFK-HND-ITM before ticketing it).

I was also considering rebooking our original BOS-NRT to BOS-NRT-ITM on the original travel date, which would involve briefly holding seats on the same BOS-NRT nonstop.

In either case, I would cancel the older reservation as soon as the first is ticketed and I can successfully select seats.

Last edited by dtremit; Mar 19, 2023 at 11:36 am
Old Mar 19, 2023, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by dtremit
I assume there is no chance AA will ever cancel a ticketed reservation in favor of an un-ticketed hold?

I am trying to rebook an existing partner award reservation for a more favorable routing/date but given the potential for disruption I don't feel comfortable cancelling the old reservation before the new one successfully tickets (and am waiting on a mileage transfer from Marriott to have enough miles to ticket the second without canceling the first).

Currently I have BOS-NRT ticketed on one date, and BOS-JFK-HND on hold for the day prior (which I'd like to actually change to BOS-JFK-HND-ITM before ticketing it).

I was also considering rebooking our original BOS-NRT to BOS-NRT-ITM on the original travel date, which would involve briefly holding seats on the same BOS-NRT nonstop.

In either case, I would cancel the older reservation as soon as the first is ticketed and I can successfully select seats.
Correct, AA's system will never auto-cancel a fully ticketed reservation, period. You could have 6 different overlapping reservations on the exact same day and as long as all of them are fully ticketed (not on hold) then nothing would happen to them.

In your case you especially don't have anything to worry about as your travel dates are different, so just book the day before if that's what you need, wait until it fully tickets etc., then just cancel the orginal one that you no longer need. Nothing to worry about.
dtremit likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Correct, AA's system will never auto-cancel a fully ticketed reservation, period. You could have 6 different overlapping reservations on the exact same day and as long as all of them are fully ticketed (not on hold) then nothing would happen to them.

In your case you especially don't have anything to worry about as your travel dates are different, so just book the day before if that's what you need, wait until it fully tickets etc., then just cancel the orginal one that you no longer need. Nothing to worry about.
This is my experience as well. People post risks on this board that, in my experience, are non-existent. On many occasions Ive had overlapping reservations ticketed and/or on hold. There have been instances where trying to put an overlapping reservation on hold has bounced, and instances where an already on hold reservation has been cancelled due to an overlap. But I have never had a ticketed reservation, be it a cash ticket or an award ticket, canceled by AA, even when theres been an overlap.
dtremit likes this.
Old May 16, 2023, 12:49 pm

Multiple tickets question

In a few weeks, I need to fly to city "C", but I don't know yet whether I'll be in city "A" or "B" at the time. I was thinking of using miles to book an A -> C ticket and a B -> C ticket, with the intention of canceling one when I know which one I'll need. I wanted to book both to lock in a good price now, especially since award travel is easy to cancel for free. However, it seems like this may be against the contract of carriage, which excludes "Booking duplicate or impossible trips, for example multiple trips for the same passenger around the same time (trips a passenger physically could not complete)". Is that the case here? Surely this scenario comes up from time to time. I'm not trying to game the system, but I can see why the airline might not like it. Any advice?
Old May 16, 2023, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sockfight
In a few weeks, I need to fly to city "C", but I don't know yet whether I'll be in city "A" or "B" at the time. I was thinking of using miles to book an A -> C ticket and a B -> C ticket, with the intention of canceling one when I know which one I'll need. I wanted to book both to lock in a good price now, especially since award travel is easy to cancel for free. However, it seems like this may be against the contract of carriage, which excludes "Booking duplicate or impossible trips, for example multiple trips for the same passenger around the same time (trips a passenger physically could not complete)". Is that the case here? Surely this scenario comes up from time to time. I'm not trying to game the system, but I can see why the airline might not like it. Any advice?
As long as youre not booking overlapping tickets every other week you'll be fine. Just book both flights as you mentioned, once your plans are finalized cancel the one you don't need.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 1:41 pm

To review, I have booked an AA award and it is ticketed. If more convenient flights become available I should book and pay for the second reservation and then go back and cancel the first? Or should I hold the new reservation and then cancel the first reservation? I don't want to cancel the first reservation until new reservation is booked.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 3:22 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by nikita606
To review, I have booked an AA award and it is ticketed. If more convenient flights become available I should book and pay for the second reservation and then go back and cancel the first? Or should I hold the new reservation and then cancel the first reservation? I don't want to cancel the first reservation until new reservation is booked.
Very few users report any issues with having overlapping bookings for very brief periods, while users frequently report problems with reservations on hold not ticketing or prices changing (sometimes dramatically) between the search and payment page.

So, it's up to you and something could go wrong in either scenario, but in my opinion it is much safer to confirm the new reservation before cancelling the old one.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 8:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by _fx
Very few users report any issues with having overlapping bookings for very brief periods, while users frequently report problems with reservations on hold not ticketing or prices changing (sometimes dramatically) between the search and payment page.

So, it's up to you and something could go wrong in either scenario, but in my opinion it is much safer to confirm the new reservation before cancelling the old one.
Yes never had a problem having several reservations for a few days - UA would be a problem but AA is not
Complete the new before touching the old one
Old Jun 20, 2023, 9:35 pm

Thanks blitzen and _fx. One leg on partner airline (BA) would probably be the same. Makes me nervous rebooking the same flight. I'm trying to get 4 family members on same flights CVG to CAI, but I could only get 2 people on the flights I want, so I'm continuing to watch for availability for the other two.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 9:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by nikita606
Thanks blitzen and _fx. One leg on partner airline (BA) would probably be the same. Makes me nervous rebooking the same flight. I'm trying to get 4 family members on same flights CVG to CAI, but I could only get 2 people on the flights I want, so I'm continuing to watch for availability for the other two.
BA has no problem with multiple reservations for the same flight it seems either - you should be good
Old Feb 19, 2024, 9:51 am

I just had AA cancel all of my award Holds leaving me with 0 (and prices went up 5K miles now) - had held 2 oneways in/out SDF and was in the process of changing to 2 oneway in/out of LEX (destination/travel dates same for both). I wanted to make sure I had the new airport all squared away, but in less than 90 mins all 4 reservations were wiped out and customer service says they can't reinstate. I knew you couldn't have multiples, but I thought I had more than 90 min to cancel and if they canceled they would only cancel one - not all

Last edited by nic3456; Feb 19, 2024 at 9:52 am Reason: spelling
Old Feb 19, 2024, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nic3456
I just had AA cancel all of my award Holds leaving me with 0 (and prices went up 5K miles now) - had held 2 oneways in/out SDF and was in the process of changing to 2 oneway in/out of LEX (destination/travel dates same for both). I wanted to make sure I had the new airport all squared away, but in less than 90 mins all 4 reservations were wiped out and customer service says they can't reinstate. I knew you couldn't have multiples, but I thought I had more than 90 min to cancel and if they canceled they would only cancel one - not all
There's no set timeframe, IME you do usually have longer than 90 mins before the system does its sweeps but if it happens before then there's nothing you can do unfortunately.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 4:33 pm

Is it typical for them to remove both now? In the past I thought only 1 would cancel?
Old Apr 22, 2024, 8:14 pm

I currently have an AA award flight booked LAX-LHR on BA metal. Is there any risk for booking a refundable cash fare for LAX-LHR on a different flight but the same day on AA metal in hopes of applying an SWU and having it clear? Flight is in less than two weeks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.