Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Duplicate, impossible and illogical bookings on AA (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Impossible, Illogical and Duplicate Bookings
"American Airlines specifically prohibits practices commonly known as: (in part)

"Duplicate and impossible/illogical bookings: Duplicate or impossible/illogical American Airlines bookings are prohibited without prior authorization from American Airlines. A duplicate or impossible/illogical booking includes, but is not limited to, bookings for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin and/or destination (such as JFK to DFW and LGA to DFW or DFW to LAX and DFW to ONT), or bookings with connections that depart before the arrival of the inbound flight."

Also please note: "Fraudulent, fictitious and abusive bookings: Fraudulent, fictitious and/or abusive bookings are prohibited. These types of bookings are defined as any bookings made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger. Additionally, creating bookings to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, AAdvantage award inventory, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available, or to gain access to airport facilities, or to circumvent any of American Airlines' fare rules or policies, is prohibited without prior authorization from American Airlines."

Link to AA Conditions of Carriage
Link to Sep 2010 thread announcing AA issuance of rules pertaining to this issue.
Print Wikipost

Duplicate, impossible and illogical bookings on AA (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2016, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Question Can I have two overlapping Awards ticketed as EXP?

Not sure what flights i want to take, have plenty of points. Can i book and ticket two overlapping award tickets knowing I will cancel one as EXP? or will AA cancel that out?

Thanks

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 13, 2016 at 8:59 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Aug 13, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
If they are not on the same day then yes. Meaning you can't have two departures and/or two arrivals on the same day. If you do it's only a matter of time before they are (most likely) both cancelled.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
If you are referring to the same flights, I know that the system prevents you from doing so. It gives you an error message that the second redemption seems like a duplicate.

For award flights on different routes, then I believe you run into the risk of cancellation as mentioned above.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
In the event of dupes, AA doesn't cancel both. However, it will cancel the older one.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Thanks

Thanks so much for this feedback. Sounds like a risky proposition. Would be the same day of travel. Different routes and airlines, but same date.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by JBauer
Thanks so much for this feedback. Sounds like a risky proposition. Would be the same day of travel. Different routes and airlines, but same date.

Sure to lose one. See the Wikipost at the top of the page.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 13, 2016 at 6:43 pm
Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JBauer
If there are different airlines involved, I would be surprised if they automatically cancelled
Old Aug 13, 2016, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If there are different airlines involved, I would be surprised if they automatically cancelled
Both booked as AAdvantage awards? Not sure it's worth the risk.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Both booked as AAdvantage awards? Not sure it's worth the risk.
The system cancels bookings it finds to be impossible - I cannot see how it would start trawling all other airlines too
theboss7593 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The system cancels bookings it finds to be impossible - I cannot see how it would start trawling all other airlines too
If these are AAdvantage awards booked through AA (how else would they be booked?), how difficult could it be to catch duplicate, impossible or illogical bookings?
Old Aug 13, 2016, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
If these are AAdvantage awards booked through AA (how else would they be booked?), how difficult could it be to catch duplicate, impossible or illogical bookings?
Pretty hard unless running explicit checks of mileage related bookings
Old Aug 16, 2016, 1:00 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Based on personal experience, I can confirm duplicate bookings on different airlines -- even if both are booked on AA.com -- will not be cancelled.

Greg
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
So, I have the following:

SEA-XXX cash ticket one on AA on Day N (coming in the next few days), booked via AS (AS ticket number).
XXX-YYY cash ticket two on AA on Day N+1, booked via AA (AA ticket number).

The plan was to spend an enjoyable evening in XXX followed by a flight to YYY the next day. I need to be in YYY by Day N+2, or else I end up with a very costly penalty in terms of vacation plans. Everything has loads of time built in.

Except... SEA is showing itself to be a complete goat rodeo these days once the thermometer gets close to freezing- tons of delays and cancelled flights. Oh, look, snow forecast on Day N. Merde.

So now I've booked, with AS miles, on day N+1:

SEA-ZZZ-YYY, SEA-ZZZ on AS, ZZZ-YYY on AA (AS ticket number, natch).

Am I at risk for the AA cash ticket two being cancelled? (I assume AA isn't going to touch an AS ticket, as they can't until it's time for airport control, by which point I'll know if I'm good and hosed on day N.)

I'm trying to avoid being stuck in SEA with nobody actually responsible to get me to YYY by Day N+2, and with tons of people jamming the queues to get out of town. I'm fine with eating the XXX-YYY ticket if SEA does turn into the aforementioned goat rodeo (the SEA-XXX ticket won't be a problem as MVPG, the funds come back to me), but if it doesn't, as an MVPG the SEA-ZZZ-YYY is cancelable and fully refunable with a modest $12.50 fee all that I risk. I see it as insurance. But I don't want to throw away the XXX-YYY ticket yet. Nor do I want to wait until the absolute last minute to book an award ticket for backup plan.

Did I hose myself here trying to preserve my ability to get out of Dodge because AA will auto-cancel me? Or is the fact that one of those duplicate tickets is an AS ticket going to save my bacon?

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 4, 2017 at 12:23 am
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:48 pm

Multiple award bookings for same person and same city-pair

If an EXP were to make multiple bookings for the same city-pair on adjacent days, what are the likely consequences?

Not being quite sure of the travel date, if an EXP booked the same trip on several consecutive dates, is there likely to be any adverse consequence?

PS. I know that blocking award space means someone else cannot get them, so please spare me the lecture on that score
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by shonamac
If an EXP were to make multiple bookings for the same city-pair on adjacent days, what are the likely consequences?

Not being quite sure of the travel date, if an EXP booked the same trip on several consecutive dates, is there likely to be any adverse consequence?

PS. I know that blocking award space means someone else cannot get them, so please spare me the lecture on that score
You can place award tickets on a 5 day hold. Why don't you just do that until you firm up what dates you will actually need. You should be able to place multiple holds as long as it's not for the same person on the same flight on the same day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.