Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fruit For Delayed Flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:52 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by rjw242
No airline flying into DCA yesterday afternoon was "reliable."
Generally speaking.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
So what kind of fruit? Something like this?

That's expensive. Perhaps something like this:

Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
The Consumerist article (and maybe the Bloomberg piece which, surprisingly, seems to date from February -- so maybe this has been happening for a while and nobody on FT yet noticed?) noted that AA benefits from offering snacks rather than vouchers because it keeps people in the gate area.

That's quite a clever move -- cheaper to pay to keep people nearby than pay IDB or compensation if they are offloaded if they don't come back to the gate when the plane reboards and departs.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:41 am

Long, long, ago, probably in the 1980's, Southwest would put out large boxes of doughnuts for folks taking the early morning flights out of SJC. A nice touch!
Old Jun 22, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, Marriott, Hertz, National, Chic-fil-A
DL has been lately ordering pizzas for people stuck on planes at the gate or in the gate area for various delays. A hungry passenger can quickly become a hANGRY passenger and the mere smell of unexpected, fresh Papa Johns or Domino's can fix that real quick. Plus the free publicity via social media works in the airline's favor.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by brewdog11
I lol'd

I guess they missed the memo at DFW during all the WX last weekend. Flights were either cancelled or delayed more than three hours, and nothing (not even information) was given to customers.

To be fair, DFW was an absolute madhouse with delays and cancellations left and right and AA's top priority probably was not sodas and sandwiches. AA should have given proactive Woodford to all the ops people who had to deal with that mess.
I think it's being gradually rolled out and DFW may not have it yet.

I am curious if MIA had this during the operational nightmare on Saturday, though.

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
https://consumerist.com/2016/02/12/a...ast-two-hours/

It started as an experiment at JFK and was said to hopefully expand next to LAX and eventually other stations if all worked well. I don't believe it has expanded to DFW yet. The complimentary drinks/food are in lieu of the food vouchers that (theoretically) used to be handed out for extensive delays.
The downside is that even if they run out of food/snacks, they won't be giving out meal vouchers at all.

Originally Posted by salut0
That's quite a clever move -- cheaper to pay to keep people nearby than pay IDB or compensation if they are offloaded if they don't come back to the gate when the plane reboards and departs.
^ Plus it looks better from a PR standpoint.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
Originally Posted by GlobeTrttr83
DL has been lately ordering pizzas for people stuck on planes at the gate or in the gate area for various delays. A hungry passenger can quickly become a hANGRY passenger and the mere smell of unexpected, fresh Papa Johns or Domino's can fix that real quick. Plus the free publicity via social media works in the airline's favor.
Yup, happened once to me, was getting totally pissed and a $2 slice of unexpected pizza bought me off and all was forgiven.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
I think it's being gradually rolled out and DFW may not have it yet.

I am curious if MIA had this during the operational nightmare on Saturday, though.

The downside is that even if they run out of food/snacks, they won't be giving out meal vouchers at all.

^ Plus it looks better from a PR standpoint.
If you're referring to Saturday, June 11th at MIA, I was on TWO severely delayed flights (one was cancelled) and can confirm that they did not.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:58 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I saw this (sandwiches) at PHX last Monday next to my arrival gate for passengers on the severely delayed 8AM flight to DTW.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist

It started as an experiment at JFK and was said to hopefully expand next to LAX and eventually other stations if all worked well. I don't believe it has expanded to DFW yet. The complimentary drinks/food are in lieu of the food vouchers that (theoretically) used to be handed out for extensive delays.
Last month, I was flying out of YUL in the morning, and the flight was delayed by 2 hrs or so. When I checked in, the agent at the ticket counter proactively offered me a voucher for breakfast. It wasn't even like I had shown up too early and had to wait around, since I had been notified the night before of the delay (another rarity in my experience). I was pleasantly surprised.

Don't know if it was because I was flying on a business class ticket or if it's standard practice at YUL during long(er) delays.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond

Saw this for the first time at LAX last night (well, early this morning) as I was arriving, 2 or 3 gates had tables full of sandwiches.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:25 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Free food saves money over vouchers.......
Exactly
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
"Professor, will you pass the nuts?"

"Oh, I suppose so, but I really ought to flunk them."
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Funny how AA is "experimenting" with something Delta has already proven to be effective....is goodwill to delayed passengers really that different or less appreciated at AA?
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Funny how AA is "experimenting" with this concept while other US airlines have figured out this works....are delayed pax at AA different from DL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.