Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Earning Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) on AA and partner airlines
Minimum Spend" requirement for each status tier began 1 Jan 2017

In addition to the required EQM or EQS (same as 2016) to earn status in 2017 and onward one must also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"Starting January 1, 2017, we’ll add Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) to our earning requirements. Qualify in 1 of 2 ways:
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)
  • Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)

EQDs will be awarded based on:
  • Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights
  • Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers, "Special Fares" such as some AA Vacations flights, Thank You Points purchased fares, etc. earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased

With the addition of EQDs, the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status has been eliminated.
NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. "select flights" included in AAVacations packages), and the chart for those changed on 11 Jan 2017. See here.

2019 Status qualification tiers and requirements: link
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

aa.com: aa.com is updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.

Another impact of EQD is on upgrade priority within status tiers instead of time of upgrade request (FYI only, not discussion here):

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

The way your upgrade request is prioritized changed in 2017. You’ll be listed according to the type of upgrade, by your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months. The date of upgrade request will no longer be used except to break ties not resolved by higher priority levels. Applies both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM and EQD as reflected on charts on aa.com.

FAQ

Q. How will AA EQD be calculated?

Yes: Base fare plus carrier imposed fees, e.g. YQ etc. (Status buyup fees will count.)

No: Taxes, government or airport imposed fees, e.g. PSC, APD, TSA, etc. and ancillary fees (see below)

Q. How will flights on other oneworld carriers, AS, and "Special Fares" qualify for EQD?

Partner earning tables are here and special fare table here on aa.com.

Q. Will checked bag fees, seat purchases, LFBU and 500-mile upgrades, buy miles, or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs? (AA FAQ)

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked (or overweight) baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships (or passes), Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Status buyup fees will count, however.)

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and base miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete segment marketed as AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

Links

Link to FT: JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com (including FAQ).

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by dimamo1983
Question: How will AA credit my CX mistake fare in first class HKG-JFK via YVR?

Booked in A, so 0.3x distance. But is it:
1) 0.3x8072 (HKG-JFK) = 2421
2) 0.3*(6392+2449) (HKG-YVR-JFK) = 2652
3) 0.3*6392 (HKG-YVR) = 1917 since YVR-JFK is not between Asia & US/Canada according to partner earning table

My issue is that I'm at 12428 EQDs (and 100k+ EQM). Full ticket is DAD-HKG-JFK(via YVR)-HKG(via YVR)-DAD. I am flying it on the 16th and may have to abandon it at JFK (family emergency is brewing).

So, DAD-HKG in J on KA = 570*0.25 = 142 --> 12570 total. Then based on the above calculations, I could just miss it by 9 EQDs if (1), be ok if (2), and miss it by 513 if (3).
#1 would be the correct calculation. The YVR stop is not included unless you booked CX888 as two separate segments.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by dls25
#1 would be the correct calculation. The YVR stop is not included unless you booked CX888 as two separate segments.
Thank you, that's what I was leaning towards as well. If I have to skip the return, any chance of convincing AA for an exemption if I am 9 EQDs short of exec plat qualifications (I am currently an Exec Platinum if that helps)?

Edit: Or, since we are splitting hairs based on GCMap distances, is there a way to find out exactly how many EQDs they would grant on HKG-JFK segment? Maybe someone here has flown that route recently and can share?

Last edited by dimamo1983; Dec 12, 2019 at 8:40 pm Reason: how to find out actual eqds
Old Dec 13, 2019, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by dimamo1983
Thank you, that's what I was leaning towards as well. If I have to skip the return, any chance of convincing AA for an exemption if I am 9 EQDs short of exec plat qualifications (I am currently an Exec Platinum if that helps)?

Edit: Or, since we are splitting hairs based on GCMap distances, is there a way to find out exactly how many EQDs they would grant on HKG-JFK segment? Maybe someone here has flown that route recently and can share?
My HKG-JFK from earlier this year in A earned exactly $2421 EQD.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: aa
Hi there,

Thanks in advance for your help with this one.

Proposed Itenerary booked directly through Japan Airlines :

EWR-Sea on Alaska code share in Y and is 2390 miles
Sea-NRT in X on JAL and is 4750 miles
NRT to TSA in X on JAL and is 1340 miles

Return
Tsa-HND in X on JAL and is 1300 miles
HND-JFK in X on JAL and is 6750 miles

Interested in understanding how to calculate the AA Advantage EQDs on this run. Also, hypothetically, if that leg to SEA were on an AA code share but still booked through JAL, how, if it all, would it change the math?

Thanks again,
Jeff

Last edited by JeffreyinDE; Dec 13, 2019 at 8:15 am
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by JeffreyinDE
Proposed Itenerary booked directly through Japan Airlines :

EWR-Sea on Alaska code share in Y and is 2390 miles
Sea-NRT in X on JAL and is 4750 miles
NRT to TSA in X on JAL and is 1340 miles

Return
Tsa-HND in X on JAL and is 1300 miles
HND-JFK in X on JAL and is 6750 miles

EWR-SEA as JAL flight number should earn 20% of 2390 in EQDs and 2390 EQMs – "when you fly on Japan Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Japan Airlines codeshare flights operated by other carriers including oneworld® carriers and affiliates" - usually the 'other carriers including' is not present, making it seem that an Alaska flight codeshared by JAL should earn.

All the other flights should earn 25% of distance for EQDs and double mileage EQMs.

That would be my reading of the rules - maybe someone with actual experience can be more accurate.

[I am a little unsure of what you mean by 'Alaska code share' - I assumed you meant Alaska operated but JAL flight number. If you didn't mean that then it would be good to clarify whose flight number you're booked on and who operates the flight.]
Old Dec 13, 2019, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid

EWR-SEA as JAL flight number should earn 20% of 2390 in EQDs and 2390 EQMs – "when you fly on Japan Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Japan Airlines codeshare flights operated by other carriers including oneworld® carriers and affiliates" - usually the 'other carriers including' is not present, making it seem that an Alaska flight codeshared by JAL should earn.

All the other flights should earn 25% of distance for EQDs and double mileage EQMs.

That would be my reading of the rules - maybe someone with actual experience can be more accurate.

[I am a little unsure of what you mean by 'Alaska code share' - I assumed you meant Alaska operated but JAL flight number. If you didn't mean that then it would be good to clarify whose flight number you're booked on and who operates the flight.]
Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant it's a JL flight number operated by Alaska on an itinerary purchased direct thru JAL.

How would the EQDs be calculated on the EWR SEA leg, if it were a JL flight number purchased from JAL but operated by American?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant it's a JL flight number operated by Alaska on an itinerary purchased direct thru JAL.

How would the EQDs be calculated on the EWR SEA leg, if it were a JL flight number purchased from JAL but operated by American?
Exactly the same. [Well, I write that and find it surprising - but it seems that all JL flight numbers earn the same regardless of who operates them. Is that really true? Anyone here know for sure?]
Old Dec 13, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I was looking back at a trip DCA-PHL-BUD return in September and noticed an interesting error on AA's part for the EQDs:

Originally booked 001 ticket:

AA-BA-AA-AA
I-I-I-I

Reticketed after schedule change:

AA-AA-AA-AA
I-I-I-I

Fare: $2,365
Taxes and fees: $1,218.03

EQDs posted based on fare: $2,920

To me this means they are counting more than half the taxes and fees as taxes, which can't possibly be correct (did a dummy booking today and the taxes sum to like $112). I assume that the originally charged BA carrier fee was dropped during the reticketing of the second leg from BA to AA, but since all four legs were credited on fare, I think they owe me EQD and RDM.

I wrote in asking for the breakdown and will share their reply with the group. Just a reminder to always check their numbers!
Just to close this loop, I ended up calling Advantage customer service and the rep said that per their records it posted correctly, but that she would send it for review after I explained the missing surcharge. The next day, I got an email stating that they had reposted it and the missing ~500 EQD and associated RDM were included, so all's well that ends well.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
Exactly the same. [Well, I write that and find it surprising - but it seems that all JL flight numbers earn the same regardless of who operates them. Is that really true? Anyone here know for sure?]
The JL earnings page says that you earn on "Japan Airlines codeshare flights operated by other carriers including oneworld® carriers and affiliates". By contrast, the BA page says "British Airways codeshare flights operated by oneworld® carriers and affiliates"; the others all match that language. So other operators are ok for JL but not BA (et al).
Old Dec 13, 2019, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
My HKG-JFK from earlier this year in A earned exactly $2421 EQD.
Awesome, thanks for confirming!
Old Dec 14, 2019, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
The JL earnings page says that you earn on "Japan Airlines codeshare flights operated by other carriers including oneworld® carriers and affiliates". By contrast, the BA page says "British Airways codeshare flights operated by oneworld® carriers and affiliates"; the others all match that language. So other operators are ok for JL but not BA (et al).
Im only concerned with the American Advantage earnings
Old Dec 14, 2019, 8:02 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Im only concerned with the American Advantage earnings
Yes, this is the AA earning based on marketing and operating carrier. SpammersAreScum's comment is about the different wording between JL and other OW earning partners with regard to AA earnings.

Inasmuch as the BA (and others) page says "and affiliates" I would think that AS would have counted in this case as they are listed under "other airline partners."

Cheers.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by brp
Yes, this is the AA earning based on marketing and operating carrier. SpammersAreScum's comment is about the different wording between JL and other OW earning partners with regard to AA earnings.

Inasmuch as the BA (and others) page says "and affiliates" I would think that AS would have counted in this case as they are listed under "other airline partners."

Cheers.
Thanks for the follow up. If the AS flight were an AA flight, would it have earned the same? I've read here that AA will only credit the dollars allocated to them toward EQDs when flying a leg booked through another OW carrier on AA metal. Is this not true?
Old Dec 14, 2019, 8:26 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Thanks for the follow up. If the AS flight were an AA flight, would it have earned the same? I've read here that AA will only credit the dollars allocated to them toward EQDs when flying a leg booked through another OW carrier on AA metal. Is this not true?
That is not true. As long as the flight qualifies according to the rules above (OW-marketed, OW or affiliate metal), AA will allocate EQDs according to the distance chart for the marketing carrier. For example, I've flown flights on AA marketed as a BA flight and earned by the BA chart. I've flown Finnair, IB marketed as BA and also earned by the BA chart.

Cheers.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by brp
That is not true. As long as the flight qualifies according to the rules above (OW-marketed, OW or affiliate metal), AA will allocate EQDs according to the distance chart for the marketing carrier. For example, I've flown flights on AA marketed as a BA flight and earned by the BA chart. I've flown Finnair, IB marketed as BA and also earned by the BA chart.

Cheers.
You rock. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.