Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Earning Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) on AA and partner airlines
Minimum Spend" requirement for each status tier began 1 Jan 2017

In addition to the required EQM or EQS (same as 2016) to earn status in 2017 and onward one must also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"Starting January 1, 2017, we’ll add Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) to our earning requirements. Qualify in 1 of 2 ways:
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)
  • Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)

EQDs will be awarded based on:
  • Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights
  • Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers, "Special Fares" such as some AA Vacations flights, Thank You Points purchased fares, etc. earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased

With the addition of EQDs, the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status has been eliminated.
NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. "select flights" included in AAVacations packages), and the chart for those changed on 11 Jan 2017. See here.

2019 Status qualification tiers and requirements: link
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

aa.com: aa.com is updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.

Another impact of EQD is on upgrade priority within status tiers instead of time of upgrade request (FYI only, not discussion here):

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

The way your upgrade request is prioritized changed in 2017. You’ll be listed according to the type of upgrade, by your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months. The date of upgrade request will no longer be used except to break ties not resolved by higher priority levels. Applies both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM and EQD as reflected on charts on aa.com.

FAQ

Q. How will AA EQD be calculated?

Yes: Base fare plus carrier imposed fees, e.g. YQ etc. (Status buyup fees will count.)

No: Taxes, government or airport imposed fees, e.g. PSC, APD, TSA, etc. and ancillary fees (see below)

Q. How will flights on other oneworld carriers, AS, and "Special Fares" qualify for EQD?

Partner earning tables are here and special fare table here on aa.com.

Q. Will checked bag fees, seat purchases, LFBU and 500-mile upgrades, buy miles, or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs? (AA FAQ)

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked (or overweight) baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships (or passes), Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Status buyup fees will count, however.)

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and base miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete segment marketed as AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

Links

Link to FT: JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com (including FAQ).

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2021, 10:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
I'm trying to figure out how much EQD I would earn from a JL marketed fare that's coming up on ITA as AA operated. Specifically: ITA is pulling up LGA-ORD-NRT as JL coded, and then NRT-DFW as JL coded, then DFW-ORD-LGA as AA coded. Does this mean I will only get % of distance credit on the JL flights and some indeterminate $ amount for the DFW-ORD-LGA piece, or will the actual ticket code everything as JL when issued? Or will the TA have control over how to do this and ITA is just being needlessly confusing?
Old Nov 19, 2021, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
I'm trying to figure out how much EQD I would earn from a JL marketed fare that's coming up on ITA as AA operated. Specifically: ITA is pulling up LGA-ORD-NRT as JL coded, and then NRT-DFW as JL coded, then DFW-ORD-LGA as AA coded. Does this mean I will only get % of distance credit on the JL flights and some indeterminate $ amount for the DFW-ORD-LGA piece, or will the actual ticket code everything as JL when issued? Or will the TA have control over how to do this and ITA is just being needlessly confusing?
Yes, you would earn % distance on any segments booked as JL flight numbers, if any segments book as AA flight numbers then they would earn some arbitrary amount of EQD depending on the fare breakout.

Rather than over complicating things with ITA, why not just try a few dummy bookings at jl.com, Google Flights, Orbitz, etc., and see how the flights code? No one here will be able to tell you exactly how they will code without doing a booking themselves...
Old Nov 19, 2021, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes, you would earn % distance on any segments booked as JL flight numbers, if any segments book as AA flight numbers then they would earn some arbitrary amount of EQD depending on the fare breakout.

Rather than over complicating things with ITA, why not just try a few dummy bookings at jl.com, Google Flights, Orbitz, etc., and see how the flights code? No one here will be able to tell you exactly how they will code without doing a booking themselves...
Yep, I did look it up on JAL.com to see how they would structure it, and although the fare is a bit higher, it still shows the last couple of flights (domestic US) as AA-coded. So I guess they're basically throwaway in terms of EQD, as I would suspect they wouldn't earn a lot considering most of the revenue would be going to JL on the long hauls...
Old Nov 19, 2021, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Yep, I did look it up on JAL.com to see how they would structure it, and although the fare is a bit higher, it still shows the last couple of flights (domestic US) as AA-coded. So I guess they're basically throwaway in terms of EQD, as I would suspect they wouldn't earn a lot considering most of the revenue would be going to JL on the long hauls...
Yep, depending on how expensive the total fare is you'll probably earn somewhere between $100-400 EQDs for those segments, so not exactly throwaway but not significant either.

However, even if they were booked as JL flight numbers the earning would only be between $300-400 EQD, so the net difference isn't much in the end.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yep, depending on how expensive the total fare is you'll probably earn somewhere between $100-400 EQDs for those segments, so not exactly throwaway but not significant either.

However, even if they were booked as JL flight numbers the earning would only be between $300-400 EQD, so the net difference isn't much in the end.
Yep it’s a M (economy) fare so only $1,500 total - earning 14% in EQD it would’ve been $2,095 EQD, so I’m guessing that’s cutting it too close. (need $2K)
Old Dec 13, 2021, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
I'm sure this has been covered, but after a search I couldn't find anything. When does monthly spend from Citi Executive World Elite Mastercard post to your AA account?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.