Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Earning Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) on AA and partner airlines
Minimum Spend" requirement for each status tier began 1 Jan 2017

In addition to the required EQM or EQS (same as 2016) to earn status in 2017 and onward one must also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"Starting January 1, 2017, we’ll add Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) to our earning requirements. Qualify in 1 of 2 ways:
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)
  • Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)

EQDs will be awarded based on:
  • Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights
  • Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers, "Special Fares" such as some AA Vacations flights, Thank You Points purchased fares, etc. earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased

With the addition of EQDs, the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status has been eliminated.
NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. "select flights" included in AAVacations packages), and the chart for those changed on 11 Jan 2017. See here.

2019 Status qualification tiers and requirements: link
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

aa.com: aa.com is updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.

Another impact of EQD is on upgrade priority within status tiers instead of time of upgrade request (FYI only, not discussion here):

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

The way your upgrade request is prioritized changed in 2017. You’ll be listed according to the type of upgrade, by your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months. The date of upgrade request will no longer be used except to break ties not resolved by higher priority levels. Applies both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM and EQD as reflected on charts on aa.com.

FAQ

Q. How will AA EQD be calculated?

Yes: Base fare plus carrier imposed fees, e.g. YQ etc. (Status buyup fees will count.)

No: Taxes, government or airport imposed fees, e.g. PSC, APD, TSA, etc. and ancillary fees (see below)

Q. How will flights on other oneworld carriers, AS, and "Special Fares" qualify for EQD?

Partner earning tables are here and special fare table here on aa.com.

Q. Will checked bag fees, seat purchases, LFBU and 500-mile upgrades, buy miles, or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs? (AA FAQ)

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked (or overweight) baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships (or passes), Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Status buyup fees will count, however.)

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and base miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete segment marketed as AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

Links

Link to FT: JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com (including FAQ).

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
They don't do it by deduction - every segment on a ticket has a dollar value (that add up to the cost of the ticket - excluding taxes) and so for each AA-marketed flight you earn that dollar value. The QF flight you earn by distance.
Thanks, but the problem remains: How do I find out the dollar value of that QF flight segment? Or alternatively, how do I find the dollar value of all the AA segments?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by DUflyer
Thanks, but the problem remains: How do I find out the dollar value of that QF flight segment? Or alternatively, how do I find the dollar value of all the AA segments?
You don't, or at least this is not readily available anywhere. The only possible way would be to call AA, they might be able to tell you the EQD breakout per segment.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Trying to max EQD on a SIN-JFK-SIN flight purchase

My situation is that I need a hefty amount of EQD's (5,587)and EQM's (27,947) for December for exec. platinum this year. Many years ago I started buying SIN-JFK-SIN roundtrip tickets that start in December and then return the following year. It has always given me that last burst to make Exec. Platinum. This year the extra EQM is making it harder so I am thinking of buying a ticket from SIN-HKG (CX in Biz) and HKG-LAX-JFK (AA in First) and RTN for anytime in 2020 that I would do all in Business. The answer seems obvious - that the EQM's associated with the first class Dec. 2019 flights would yield as higher then the return flights that I have done in business but I am not sure exactly how to calculate roughly what this could be. As a total trip the reservation on hold says: EQM - 67,932 and EQDs at 10,086. If it was all in the same class I would just divide by 2 and assume it to be fairly close. But because I am trying to get heftier EQM's on the Dec outbound and I would have no chance to make it up I am nervous.
Has anyone had success with asking AA directly about the EQM breakdowns?
Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed. Because I need both EQM and EQD i figured a straight out AA ticket, albeit at a high cost, seemed to be the best way.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 3galsontour
My situation is that I need a hefty amount of EQD's (5,587)and EQM's (27,947) for December for exec. platinum this year. Many years ago I started buying SIN-JFK-SIN roundtrip tickets that start in December and then return the following year. It has always given me that last burst to make Exec. Platinum. This year the extra EQM is making it harder so I am thinking of buying a ticket from SIN-HKG (CX in Biz) and HKG-LAX-JFK (AA in First) and RTN for anytime in 2020 that I would do all in Business. The answer seems obvious - that the EQM's associated with the first class Dec. 2019 flights would yield as higher then the return flights that I have done in business but I am not sure exactly how to calculate roughly what this could be. As a total trip the reservation on hold says: EQM - 67,932 and EQDs at 10,086. If it was all in the same class I would just divide by 2 and assume it to be fairly close. But because I am trying to get heftier EQM's on the Dec outbound and I would have no chance to make it up I am nervous.
Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed. Because I need both EQM and EQD i figured a straight out AA ticket, albeit at a high cost, seemed to be the best way.
EQM and EQD are both determined on a per-segment basis. So for the CX segments you use the segment's miles and class to look up EQM and EQD in the CX table. You can do the same thing for all the AA segments using the AA table, but just for EQMs. Given the mileage of all the segments, and Business class, you'd be way over your target on EQM whether you used CX for any segments or not.

EQD on an AA segment uses the fare for that segment, which of course no-one but AA knows. I suspect that the fare assigned to the AA portions will suffice, given that your total fare will be (I assume) way over $5600 (before taxes), the CX portion is relatively small, and the First class portion is pretty large.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz Presidents Club
Flew ORD-HKG-ORD in CX PE, took 6 days to post the miles and bump me into EXP land again, $1600 spent for a $3100 EQD ..
Old Nov 13, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage PltPro, AMEX Platinum
JL eqd

Hi all. Booked a smoking deal for j from LGA to TPE

lga bos AA F
bos nrt JL J
Nrt tpe JL J

tpe nrt CX J
nrt bos JL J
bos lga AA F

also bought a segment of discounted Y on CX to get me to HKG from TPE that doesn’t earn anything I think.

but lookinga at the partner eqd it says for I dares the JL segments earn 14%. Disappointing to say the least but can’t seem to find which fare class this is booked in. I am just assuming I because this trip without the HKG leg only cost me $2200. It’s a lot of flights but I think we’ll worth it to get me to my destination in style.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by wireless_999
Hi all. Booked a smoking deal for j from LGA to TPE

lga bos AA F
bos nrt JL J
Nrt tpe JL J

tpe nrt CX J
nrt bos JL J
bos lga AA F

also bought a segment of discounted Y on CX to get me to HKG from TPE that doesn’t earn anything I think.

but lookinga at the partner eqd it says for I dares the JL segments earn 14%. Disappointing to say the least but can’t seem to find which fare class this is booked in. I am just assuming I because this trip without the HKG leg only cost me $2200. It’s a lot of flights but I think we’ll worth it to get me to my destination in style.
Many discount JL business fares book into X, not I, especially between North America and Asia. I is more frequently used on intra-Asia fares (IME). If you can't find the booking code on your email confirmation then just call JL to verify (assuming you booked it through JL).
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage PltPro, AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Many discount JL business fares book into X, not I, especially between North America and Asia. I is more frequently used on intra-Asia fares (IME). If you can't find the booking code on your email confirmation then just call JL to verify (assuming you booked it through JL).
that would be amazing! That means 25% if so. All booked on aa but it wouldn’t show me the mileage because a mix of aa, CX and JL metal. Thank you.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:34 pm

I just did a mileage run on CX - ORD-HKG-SIN-HKG-ORD I bought this in premium economy (E) fare at $1484. I should earn $3750ish EQD and 28,125 EQM when this posts. Just finished the run today so I am hoping this will post soon and bump to EXP.

The sweet spot on CX mileage runs from ORD is in E - you ear more than double the EQDs you spend if done right and you earn 1.5x on the EQMs
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 1MM, Marriott LT Platinum, National Executive Club
So i'm about 2700 EQD short of EP this year, I already made the EQMs needed. I have a trip booked for later this week in coach, but on the app it tells me I can upgrade to first for about $500 round trip. When I get to the end of the transaction, it has the break down but shows it as an upgrade to first.

Million dollar question, will the upgrade cost to First ($500) + my original fare($285) count towards EQD? I assume that if I had bought first to begin with, it would, but the whole language around upgrades concerns me.

Anyone else already run into this that can confirm they get full EQD credit?
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I was looking back at a trip DCA-PHL-BUD return in September and noticed an interesting error on AA's part for the EQDs:

Originally booked 001 ticket:

AA-BA-AA-AA
I-I-I-I

Reticketed after schedule change:

AA-AA-AA-AA
I-I-I-I

Fare: $2,365
Taxes and fees: $1,218.03

EQDs posted based on fare: $2,920

To me this means they are counting more than half the taxes and fees as taxes, which can't possibly be correct (did a dummy booking today and the taxes sum to like $112). I assume that the originally charged BA carrier fee was dropped during the reticketing of the second leg from BA to AA, but since all four legs were credited on fare, I think they owe me EQD and RDM.

I wrote in asking for the breakdown and will share their reply with the group. Just a reminder to always check their numbers!
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Flightmil.es
I just did a mileage run on CX - ORD-HKG-SIN-HKG-ORD I bought this in premium economy (E) fare at $1484. I should earn $3750ish EQD and 28,125 EQM when this posts. Just finished the run today so I am hoping this will post soon and bump to EXP.

The sweet spot on CX mileage runs from ORD is in E - you ear more than double the EQDs you spend if done right and you earn 1.5x on the EQMs
Did you book this through CX? I seem to have an unnatural fear of getting this wrong and the downside is so big for me. Or did you get this as a "special fare" Could you let me know a bit more on how you went about booking this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Did you book this through CX? I seem to have an unnatural fear of getting this wrong and the downside is so big for me. Or did you get this as a "special fare" Could you let me know a bit more on how you went about booking this.
If your seats are all PE or above, you're fine. A segment with less-than-full-fare Economy on CX-marketed is what bites you.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 3:35 pm

Yes - I found it through google.com/flight and booked it directly on CX. There is an area before you pay for the ticket that clearly spells out the fare class (E) and I made sure that was what each ticket was.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
If I purchase a First Class ticket on Alaska.com from SAN-SEA for $308, how many EQDs will I earn, if any?

On AlaskaAir.com and AA.com the flight is listed as "operated by SkyWest Airlines as AlaskaSkyWest"

On AA.com it lists an AA flight number for the flight, but it is only possible to buy a Main Cabin seat, not first class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.