Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Earning Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) on AA and partner airlines
Minimum Spend" requirement for each status tier began 1 Jan 2017

In addition to the required EQM or EQS (same as 2016) to earn status in 2017 and onward one must also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"Starting January 1, 2017, we’ll add Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) to our earning requirements. Qualify in 1 of 2 ways:
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)
  • Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)

EQDs will be awarded based on:
  • Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights
  • Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers, "Special Fares" such as some AA Vacations flights, Thank You Points purchased fares, etc. earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased

With the addition of EQDs, the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status has been eliminated.
NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. "select flights" included in AAVacations packages), and the chart for those changed on 11 Jan 2017. See here.

2019 Status qualification tiers and requirements: link
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

aa.com: aa.com is updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.

Another impact of EQD is on upgrade priority within status tiers instead of time of upgrade request (FYI only, not discussion here):

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

The way your upgrade request is prioritized changed in 2017. You’ll be listed according to the type of upgrade, by your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months. The date of upgrade request will no longer be used except to break ties not resolved by higher priority levels. Applies both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM and EQD as reflected on charts on aa.com.

FAQ

Q. How will AA EQD be calculated?

Yes: Base fare plus carrier imposed fees, e.g. YQ etc. (Status buyup fees will count.)

No: Taxes, government or airport imposed fees, e.g. PSC, APD, TSA, etc. and ancillary fees (see below)

Q. How will flights on other oneworld carriers, AS, and "Special Fares" qualify for EQD?

Partner earning tables are here and special fare table here on aa.com.

Q. Will checked bag fees, seat purchases, LFBU and 500-mile upgrades, buy miles, or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs? (AA FAQ)

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked (or overweight) baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships (or passes), Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Status buyup fees will count, however.)

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and base miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete segment marketed as AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

Links

Link to FT: JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com (including FAQ).

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2019, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by huge
If I purchase a First Class ticket on Alaska.com from SAN-SEA for $308, how many EQDs will I earn, if any?

On AlaskaAir.com and AA.com the flight is listed as "operated by SkyWest Airlines as AlaskaSkyWest"

On AA.com it lists an AA flight number for the flight, but it is only possible to buy a Main Cabin seat, not first class.
If booked on the AS site, is it bookable as an AA flight number or is it booked as an AS flight number?

If the latter, the earning will be zero

If booked as an AA flight number , should be 308 - 19 (taxes) = 289 EQDs
Old Dec 1, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If booked on the AS site, is it bookable as an AA flight number or is it booked as an AS flight number?

If the latter, the earning will be zero

If booked as an AA flight number , should be 308 - 19 (taxes) = 289 EQDs
Thanks for the reply - on alaskaair.com it only shows up as an AS flight number, so yeah I assume it would get me zero EQDs. SO ANNOYING
Old Dec 1, 2019, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by huge
Thanks for the reply - on alaskaair.com it only shows up as an AS flight number, so yeah I assume it would get me zero EQDs. SO ANNOYING
No different than booking DL or UA tickets. Also earn 0 EQDs 😛
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Challenging EQD calculation

hi-- I'm trying to sort out the eqd's for an upcoming trip, which is apparently much more complicated than I expected. Prior to our last trip of this year, my wife will be ~$150 short of the EQDs to hit her next status tier. We have a trip booked over the holidays, leaving this calendar year and returning in January. I know the base fare of that trip at the time of purchase ($317), but also know that the eqd's don't always split evenly. To complicate things, we had a schedule change after booking that necessitated a change in the return (calendar year 2020) flights. I tried calling AA to ask if they could tell me how many eqds the two outbound segments would earn, but they said that because of the ticket exchange (when we were rebooked), there is no way to determine what the eqds will be for any of the segments. I found this hard to believe, so I HUCA, but received the same answer. It seems odd to me that AA can't figure out internally how they do this calculation - is there any way I can find out if she'll get her $150 or not? If it was just me, I'd add in an extra trip to be safe, but my wife is very reluctant to make any unnecessary trips, so I'm unlikely to persuade her unless I know for sure we're going to miss the threshold. Given that our last trip leaves at the end of the month, there won't be time to see how many eqds are actually issued and then do a MR after that. Any suggestions for how to figure this out or if there's some department at AA that might be able to help?
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by whimsey21
hi-- I'm trying to sort out the eqd's for an upcoming trip, which is apparently much more complicated than I expected. Prior to our last trip of this year, my wife will be ~$150 short of the EQDs to hit her next status tier. We have a trip booked over the holidays, leaving this calendar year and returning in January. I know the base fare of that trip at the time of purchase ($317), but also know that the eqd's don't always split evenly. To complicate things, we had a schedule change after booking that necessitated a change in the return (calendar year 2020) flights. I tried calling AA to ask if they could tell me how many eqds the two outbound segments would earn, but they said that because of the ticket exchange (when we were rebooked), there is no way to determine what the eqds will be for any of the segments. I found this hard to believe, so I HUCA, but received the same answer. It seems odd to me that AA can't figure out internally how they do this calculation - is there any way I can find out if she'll get her $150 or not? If it was just me, I'd add in an extra trip to be safe, but my wife is very reluctant to make any unnecessary trips, so I'm unlikely to persuade her unless I know for sure we're going to miss the threshold. Given that our last trip leaves at the end of the month, there won't be time to see how many eqds are actually issued and then do a MR after that. Any suggestions for how to figure this out or if there's some department at AA that might be able to help?
About the only thing you can do is HUCA, if the phone agent doesn't know then ask them to contact their rate desk / supervisor / etc. to get the fare breakout between the outbound and return.

Also, do you still have your original email confirmation? This should show you the booking codes for your outbound and return flights. If the codes are the same then it will most likely be split pretty evenly, however if not then that may help decipher how many more/less EQD you will earn on the outbound vs. return.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
About the only thing you can do is HUCA, if the phone agent doesn't know then ask them to contact their rate desk / supervisor / etc. to get the fare breakout between the outbound and return.

Also, do you still have your original email confirmation? This should show you the booking codes for your outbound and return flights. If the codes are the same then it will most likely be split pretty evenly, however if not then that may help decipher how many more/less EQD you will earn on the outbound vs. return.
Thanks! The second agent I spoke with did contact their supervisor and I spent quite a bit of time on hold. Supposedly the supervisor was stumped as well. On my original booking, I had fare classes V outbound and G on the return. The rebooked ticket has V on the outbound and L on the return. If that gives you any insight into how they might allocate the eqds, I'd appreciate hearing it.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Thanks! The second agent I spoke with did contact their supervisor and I spent quite a bit of time on hold. Supposedly the supervisor was stumped as well. On my original booking, I had fare classes V outbound and G on the return. The rebooked ticket has V on the outbound and L on the return. If that gives you any insight into how they might allocate the eqds, I'd appreciate hearing it.
To be honest, if AA can't answer the question for you, you are going to reach a point of diminishing returns on the effort involved here.

I mean, the best I can tell you is, that, if you have an ExpertFlyer subscription, you could try to build the same itinerary by searching the same route and constricting the fare class to V on the outbound and L on the return. It's unlikely that you will be able to get an itinerary to price out exactly as yours is, but once you have the full breakdown of the V and L segments, you could try to estimate the % dollar split between the two segments, then apply that percentage split to your itinerary. L is a one category higher fare code than V, so all else equal, more EQDs are likely to be allocated towards the return than the outbound.

Give the fare amounts you are alluding to, this seems like way more effort than I'd probably expend...

Regards
Old Dec 2, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
L fares are generally more expensive than V fares on a leg by leg basis. G fares are generally cheaper. So depending on your fare construction that may be a problem for you.

I've no experience doing it but you should be able to call AA and upfare the outbound leg to first class without a change fee:

Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd)

That would bump up her EQDs accordingly.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by squishedincoach
So i'm about 2700 EQD short of EP this year, I already made the EQMs needed. I have a trip booked for later this week in coach, but on the app it tells me I can upgrade to first for about $500 round trip. When I get to the end of the transaction, it has the break down but shows it as an upgrade to first.

Million dollar question, will the upgrade cost to First ($500) + my original fare($285) count towards EQD? I assume that if I had bought first to begin with, it would, but the whole language around upgrades concerns me.

Anyone else already run into this that can confirm they get full EQD credit?
I haven’t actually flown it yet, but I upgraded to J on ORD CUN and the email/receipt both show an increase to the fare which should increase the EQD.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:47 am

Thanks for all of the feedback. The upfaring idea makes sense; I'll give AA a ring to see how much that will run us. One thing I'm curious about - most of the comments above suggest that the breakdown will use the new fare code(s) after the exchange, rather than the original fare code at the time of booking. In a case of a ticket exchange like this, do the new fare codes take precedence for eqd determination (and also for upfaring) or would they instead fall back on the original fare codes (since that reflects what was originally paid for the ticket)? Just wondering for possible future situations.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Thanks for all of the feedback. The upfaring idea makes sense; I'll give AA a ring to see how much that will run us. One thing I'm curious about - most of the comments above suggest that the breakdown will use the new fare code(s) after the exchange, rather than the original fare code at the time of booking. In a case of a ticket exchange like this, do the new fare codes take precedence for eqd determination (and also for upfaring) or would they instead fall back on the original fare codes (since that reflects what was originally paid for the ticket)? Just wondering for possible future situations.
Regardless of what fare code you are rebooked into, AA knows what you originally paid, so your EQD and any upfare will be based on the original amount.

For example, say you book a cheap $200 flight in 'O' class, but get rebooked to Y due to irrops. You will still earn EQD based on the original $200 fare, and if you then decided you wanted to buy up to F, it would be the difference between the $200 you originally paid and whatever the first class fare is now.

For AA marketing flights, the fare code is irrelevant from an EQD perspective, as that is entirely based off what you spend.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:12 pm

Thanks-- that's good to know. It seems like I usually have at least 2 trips each year that get rebooked after schedule changes; I've never paid much attention to the fare class changes before. In this case, I guess it should work in my favor with the split, since the fare class on the return at time of booking was lower than the outbound- if they use those values, I'd guess we'd end up with at least half of the ticket value.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Thanks-- that's good to know. It seems like I usually have at least 2 trips each year that get rebooked after schedule changes; I've never paid much attention to the fare class changes before. In this case, I guess it should work in my favor with the split, since the fare class on the return at time of booking was lower than the outbound- if they use those values, I'd guess we'd end up with at least half of the ticket value.
I think you're still missing the point - the fare code doesn't matter if it is an AA-operated or -marketed flight - you earn EQDs based on the actual fare paid for each segment (original plus upfare) with no regard for F, J, Y, L, V or O. The comments about fare codes above were that you can use fare codes to estimate EQDs for a portion of a trip - but only very approximately.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 8:13 am

no - I got that. I was just thinking that the original fare codes might provide some insight into how the fare likely split between segments (very approximately as you said). Ultimately I'm going with the "we just don't know" takeaway from everyone's comments.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:26 pm

Question: How will AA credit my CX mistake fare in first class HKG-JFK via YVR?

Booked in A, so 0.3x distance. But is it:
1) 0.3x8072 (HKG-JFK) = 2421
2) 0.3*(6392+2449) (HKG-YVR-JFK) = 2652
3) 0.3*6392 (HKG-YVR) = 1917 since YVR-JFK is not between Asia & US/Canada according to partner earning table

My issue is that I'm at 12428 EQDs (and 100k+ EQM). Full ticket is DAD-HKG-JFK(via YVR)-HKG(via YVR)-DAD. I am flying it on the 16th and may have to abandon it at JFK (family emergency is brewing).

So, DAD-HKG in J on KA = 570*0.25 = 142 --> 12570 total. Then based on the above calculations, I could just miss it by 9 EQDs if (1), be ok if (2), and miss it by 513 if (3).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.