Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Earning Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) on AA and partner airlines
Minimum Spend" requirement for each status tier began 1 Jan 2017

In addition to the required EQM or EQS (same as 2016) to earn status in 2017 and onward one must also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"Starting January 1, 2017, we’ll add Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) to our earning requirements. Qualify in 1 of 2 ways:
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)
  • Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)

EQDs will be awarded based on:
  • Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights
  • Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers, "Special Fares" such as some AA Vacations flights, Thank You Points purchased fares, etc. earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased

With the addition of EQDs, the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status has been eliminated.
NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. "select flights" included in AAVacations packages), and the chart for those changed on 11 Jan 2017. See here.

2019 Status qualification tiers and requirements: link
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

aa.com: aa.com is updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.

Another impact of EQD is on upgrade priority within status tiers instead of time of upgrade request (FYI only, not discussion here):

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

The way your upgrade request is prioritized changed in 2017. You’ll be listed according to the type of upgrade, by your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months. The date of upgrade request will no longer be used except to break ties not resolved by higher priority levels. Applies both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM and EQD as reflected on charts on aa.com.

FAQ

Q. How will AA EQD be calculated?

Yes: Base fare plus carrier imposed fees, e.g. YQ etc. (Status buyup fees will count.)

No: Taxes, government or airport imposed fees, e.g. PSC, APD, TSA, etc. and ancillary fees (see below)

Q. How will flights on other oneworld carriers, AS, and "Special Fares" qualify for EQD?

Partner earning tables are here and special fare table here on aa.com.

Q. Will checked bag fees, seat purchases, LFBU and 500-mile upgrades, buy miles, or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs? (AA FAQ)

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked (or overweight) baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships (or passes), Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Status buyup fees will count, however.)

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and base miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete segment marketed as AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

Links

Link to FT: JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com (including FAQ).

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: AA Platinum - 1MM+
Originally Posted by scubadu
You basically have calculated it correctly. The only slight modification is you stated if "W,E, or T class." If you you take another look at the earning chart for BA, note that for W class you'd earn 10% more RDMs as a class of service bonus and 2% more EQDs (i.e. 22% instead of 20%).

So your calculations are correct for E/T earning, but RDM/EQD would be slightly higher for W (EQMs would be same). Of course, W fare is sort of considered "full fare" premium economy and usually quite a bit more expensive, hence the increased earnings.

Regards
Thank you!
So the flight just has to be a BA coded flight in E/T/W - right? Is it OK if it is a physical AA metal plane, coded as BA?
Damn. Seems like a good way to catch-up on some needed EQDs for me :-)
Old Oct 11, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP
I purchased AA ticket (001) from LIS to USA in April. BA flew LIS-LHR (H) and LHR-PHL (P). AA calculated on basis of fare. My return is in Nov. and I will fly AA to PHL (Y), BA (P) PHL-LHR and BA econ. to Italy. Since I am short EQD I called AA to see if I changed my ticket to business (I) it would improve my EQD. Advantage customer service said my EQD would not increase by the amount of the fare change, since EQD was based only on the original fare. This seems bizarre since the ticket will be reissued in First to PHL and business PHL-LHR-Italy.

Is this correct? The upfare price is worth it, but if it won't increase EQD, I may want to save the money for a oneworld P fare to Asia which will put me over the EXP EQD requirement. Can someone quickly confirm. Thanks
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by cvg-aa
I purchased AA ticket (001) from LIS to USA in April. BA flew LIS-LHR (H) and LHR-PHL (P). AA calculated on basis of fare. My return is in Nov. and I will fly AA to PHL (Y), BA (P) PHL-LHR and BA econ. to Italy. Since I am short EQD I called AA to see if I changed my ticket to business (I) it would improve my EQD. Advantage customer service said my EQD would not increase by the amount of the fare change, since EQD was based only on the original fare. This seems bizarre since the ticket will be reissued in First to PHL and business PHL-LHR-Italy.

Is this correct? The upfare price is worth it, but if it won't increase EQD, I may want to save the money for a oneworld P fare to Asia which will put me over the EXP EQD requirement. Can someone quickly confirm. Thanks
Of course it's not correct, most AA phone agents will have no idea about that kind of question.

You don't say what flight numbers you have booked (AA or BA) which is needed to know exactly how many more EQD you should earn if you upfare to business.

If you booked AA flight numbers, then the extra EQD you would earn would be based solely on the additional fare paid to change to business. So if you spend an extra $1500 to upfare to business you should see an additional $1500 of EQD credit, more or less.

But if you're booked with BA flight numbers then it's based soley on the flight mileage and fare code. PHL-LHR in E/T would earn $709 EQD (3545 mi * 20%) while changing it to business "I" would earn $886 EQD (3545 mi * 25%).
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:56 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mrtrickdk
Thank you!
So the flight just has to be a BA coded flight in E/T/W - right? Is it OK if it is a physical AA metal plane, coded as BA?
Damn. Seems like a good way to catch-up on some needed EQDs for me :-)
Yes, it is OK to be on AA metal. The marketing is what matters here. We have a BA-cded J flight early next year on 77W LAX-LHR, and it will earn based on distance.

As to your earlier question "Why would anyone ticket a premium economy on BA as an AA flight number and an AA flight as an AA flight number (assuming cost is same/similar)? If ticketing as BA the EQD earnings are much better and EQMs the same.":

Often the prices are not the same. People may book on AA.com and not realize. People not chasing status may not care. BA-coded flight on AA metal cannot be upgraded with SWU or Avios. Probably other possible reasons.

Cheers.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
As to your earlier question "Why would anyone ticket a premium economy on BA as an AA flight number and an AA flight as an AA flight number (assuming cost is same/similar)? If ticketing as BA the EQD earnings are much better and EQMs the same.":

Often the prices are not the same. People may book on AA.com and not realize. People not chasing status may not care. BA-coded flight on AA metal cannot be upgraded with SWU or Avios. Probably other possible reasons.
Yep, exactly.

And to add to that, every calculation is different regarding how many EQM/EQDs you will earn depending on the exact fares, flight distances, booking codes, etc. Just because it may be more advantageous to book a BA code in one instance doesn't mean it will be like that in the next.

For example, say you're looking at a $2000 discount Premium economy fare from JFK-LHR roundtrip, booking a BA code would earn you only $1381 EQD compared to ~$2000 EQD booking an AA code. You just have to do the math for each and every instance.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:40 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yep, exactly.

And to add to that, every calculation is different regarding how many EQM/EQDs you will earn depending on the exact fares, flight distances, booking codes, etc. Just because it may be more advantageous to book a BA code in one instance doesn't mean it will be like that in the next.

For example, say you're looking at a $2000 discount Premium economy fare from JFK-LHR roundtrip, booking a BA code would earn you only $1381 EQD compared to ~$2000 EQD booking an AA code. You just have to do the math for each and every instance.
I now do almost exclusively AAVacations packages for the distance-based effect, so not as familiar anymore with EQD for AA-purchased flights, but I had thought that the EQD/$ ratio was quite a bit less than the ~1 that you indicate. More like 85% or so, i.e. a good bit of taxes. Is that not the case?

Cheers.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
I now do almost exclusively AAVacations packages for the distance-based effect, so not as familiar anymore with EQD for AA-purchased flights, but I had thought that the EQD/$ ratio was quite a bit less than the ~1 that you indicate. More like 85% or so, i.e. a good bit of taxes. Is that not the case?

Cheers.
Yea, of course the actual EQD earned will be less taxes, I was just giving an easy example for simplicity's sake.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:17 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yea, of course the actual EQD earned will be less taxes, I was just giving an easy example for simplicity's sake.
Oh, I know. I was just wondering how much less, typically.

Cheers.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 3:28 pm

Yep, exactly.

It would also appear that I cannot chose seats in advance if I book the AA metal flight as a BA flight number, even though I am AA platinum. Seems right? Any way around this?
Old Oct 11, 2019, 3:44 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It would also appear that I cannot chose seats in advance if I book the AA metal flight as a BA flight number, even though I am AA platinum. Seems right? Any way around this?
Does the reservation reflect your AAdvantage or BAEC frequent flier number? if BA, this will be the case. if you have your AAdvantage number, I believe that you should be able to make some level of selection as PLT (I know that we can as EXP when the AAdvantage number is there).

If it is the BA umber, you can't change it on BA or AA site, but you can change it on Finnair.com or RJ.com (Royal Jordanian) sites using the BA PNR.

Cheers.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by brp
Does the reservation reflect your AAdvantage or BAEC frequent flier number? if BA, this will be the case. if you have your AAdvantage number, I believe that you should be able to make some level of selection as PLT (I know that we can as EXP when the AAdvantage number is there).

If it is the BA umber, you can't change it on BA or AA site, but you can change it on Finnair.com or RJ.com (Royal Jordanian) sites using the BA PNR.

Cheers.
I have not yet booked. But it will reflect my AA platinum number. But ticket stock will be BA, and metal will be AA. Can I still chose seats on my AA flight? Had I booked directly via AA I'd be able to chose seats free of charge - and request 500 mile upgrades on domestic segment.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 1:50 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have not yet booked. But it will reflect my AA platinum number. But ticket stock will be BA, and metal will be AA. Can I still chose seats on my AA flight? Had I booked directly via AA I'd be able to chose seats free of charge - and request 500 mile upgrades on domestic segment.
My experience is that having my AAdvantage number in the BA booking (I'm making an assumption that this will be booked on BA.com, but that could be incorrect), I can choose seats on the BA flights there. Then, I see the AA flights (even though booked on BA.com) on AA.com as well (and here is shows it as the AA flight number even though it's really booked with the BA number) and I can choose seats there.

Cheers.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by brp
My experience is that having my AAdvantage number in the BA booking (I'm making an assumption that this will be booked on BA.com, but that could be incorrect), I can choose seats on the BA flights there. Then, I see the AA flights (even though booked on BA.com) on AA.com as well (and here is shows it as the AA flight number even though it's really booked with the BA number) and I can choose seats there.

Cheers.
Update: Tickets booked on BA. Was able to chose seats on all flights due to AA platinum status at no charge. (Now I just need a window seat to open up on the 747 in premium economy )
No ability to request upgrade on US domestic AA segment as it was marked as a BA flight number. But I could still pick MCE.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 3:07 pm

Update: Tickets booked on BA. Was able to chose seats on all flights due to AA platinum status at no charge. (Now I just need a window seat to open up on the 747 in premium economy )
No ability to request upgrade on US domestic AA segment as it was marked as a BA flight number. But I could still pick MCE.
yeah I’m doing the same thing MIA to CDG on PE. Booked on BA but it’s an AA flight. I did for same EQD reasons, so this gets me to EXP as I’m short about $900! I was easily able to select seats

I was actually wondering what seat people prefer in PE, I haven’t flown PE on AA before. I have seat 15C (aisle) on the way there and 15A (window) on the way back. I usually prefer aisle seats coz I hate asking someone to move when I’m going to the toilet lol
Old Oct 14, 2019, 9:17 pm

EQDs for platinum

New to FT, sorry if this question is too broad (if so, some links will suffice).
What is the best way for me to get 1500 EQDs by the end of the year? Based out of GCM and will be flying to LAS between Dec 8-10. Also happy to do a flight just to get the miles.

Thanks in advance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.