FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: Domestic SDFC / SDC /CFC Same Day Confirmed Flight Change (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1747000-archive-domestic-sdfc-sdc-cfc-same-day-confirmed-flight-change.html)

DeltaFlyingProf Apr 8, 2015 9:14 am

Originally Posted by ucsddeej (Post 24613389)
Hello all

I am a recent UA convert and I recently booked a first class flight on AA.com. During the booking process I noticed that if you hovered over the "First" button on the booking pages it lists "Same-day flight change (subject to flight availability)" as a benefit of being in first class. I know this is a little at odds with what was known for SDFC, but with the recent changes I figured it was a new change. The kicker for this was that my fare rules specifically state (fare basis: OA14USI5/WAUP):

"PASSENGERS WHO PURCHASED TICKETS FOR FIRST OR BUSINESS OR COACH CLASS BOOKED IN Y/D/I/J/A/P/F INVENTORIES MAY USE SAME DAY FLIGHT CHANGE WITHOUT CHARGE AS NOTED BELOW"

So today I had to actually change my flight. Online it let me change for free but did not have the flights I wanted so I called in. First agent didn't think this was doable so I HUCA. Second agent didn't seem to have an issue and rebooked me (even switched coterminals BWI->DCA). After four hours, the ticket still hadn't reissued. So I called again and after going back and forth with the agent and rate desk for over an hour they refused to allow me to change the ticket and were trying to get me to pay any fare differences. I was kind of fed up at this point so I just cancelled the ticket (which was non refundable). I have the luxury of not needing to go on this trip and I was just fed up after more than 3 hours on the phone today.

Am I missing something here? Why would the fare rules say that you could use "same day flight change" regardless of class (negating any possibilities of wonkiness from the WAUP) and essentially no agents agree with that - yet alone even acknowledge that that line existed for my ticket?

I am not sure I read the rule as you do. I read the list of booking classes as being the classes for which this can be done but does not mean that if you had A as your original bucket that you could grab a F bucket seat. I think you can grab a seat on another flight if A is available. Was the change done to the same bucket? Or to another one?

rbourquin Apr 8, 2015 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by fastflyer (Post 24634915)
How does SDC work with the merged program? Namely, may I make a SDC on a US codeshare flight when ticketed on AA stock?

I have been able to SDC according to the operating carriers rules regardless of whether the flight was a codeshare or not.

a4silicon Apr 11, 2015 10:21 am

I'm booked on AA 2267 EWR-ORD connecting to AA 2356 ORD-SFO in a W fare bucket. I'm trying to change it to the earlier AA4372 connecting to AA1145. There doesn't seem to be any economy availability there for a SDCFC, but is it possible to upgrade with miles+copay into the A fare bucket and change into the available A fare bucket on 4372/1145?

TechMarauder Apr 11, 2015 10:57 am

Originally Posted by rbourquin (Post 24637712)
I have been able to SDC according to the operating carriers rules regardless of whether the flight was a codeshare or not.

This is true. It does get complicated when you have more than 1 segment with different operating airlines, though. For example, I had a BOS-CLT-IAH routing where segment 1 was operated by US and segment 2 was operated by AA and it was AA stock. I couldn't do a CFC with AA since the first segment was US and US said I couldn't since the 2nd segment was AA.

Lesson learned - it's much smoother to book same operating airline.

baclubflyer Apr 12, 2015 5:23 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 24429611)
You can confirm your new flight up to 24 hrs before, but the flight you're standing by on or SDC'ing onto still has to be on the same calendar day.

Also, free standby is not only for EXP, but also PLT, GLD, certain First, Biz, full fare Y, etc.

Say Im booked on LAX-JFK (T), then JFK-YYZ (T+1)

Can I SDC on LAX-DFW-YYZ on T for example? I know my original routing is a red-eye which goes into the next day and connection is technically the next day. How strict is AA on having the each flight correspond to the calendar day?

ucsddeej Apr 15, 2015 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf (Post 24635050)
I am not sure I read the rule as you do. I read the list of booking classes as being the classes for which this can be done but does not mean that if you had A as your original bucket that you could grab a F bucket seat. I think you can grab a seat on another flight if A is available. Was the change done to the same bucket? Or to another one?

Sorry for any confusion in my post, but I do read the rules the same way as you. My problem was that every agent I talked to - including twitter - said that no matter what fare/booking class I was in, first class passengers are simply not eligible for SDFC. Even though my fare rules say that they explicitly are, and SDFC is described as a perk of First class on AA.com. I was never told that "A is not available for flight X, so you cannot change to flight X", I was told "It doesn't matter if A is available for any flights, you can't change".

hbtr Apr 26, 2015 2:37 pm

The published rules for same-day change refers to the availability of seats. Does anyone know how that availability is determined? I'm trying to do a SDC for a flight tomorrow (LAX-SFO) and out of 3 flights that depart within 24 hrs only one is listed as available (it's earlier; I am trying to move later). EF shows coach seat availability on all three flights. I don't think it's due to my fare class (N) because the one flight that is listed as eligible has N0. And no, I haven't tried calling yet; looking for info first.

Also, any idea whether you can move from mainline to eagle using SDC (both fly this route)?

taxicabnumber Apr 26, 2015 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by hbtr (Post 24723955)
The published rules for same-day change refers to the availability of seats. Does anyone know how that availability is determined? I'm trying to do a SDC for a flight tomorrow (LAX-SFO) and out of 3 flights that depart within 24 hrs only one is listed as available (it's earlier; I am trying to move later). EF shows coach seat availability on all three flights. I don't think it's due to my fare class (N) because the one flight that is listed as eligible has N0. And no, I haven't tried calling yet; looking for info first.

Also, any idea whether you can move from mainline to eagle using SDC (both fly this route)?

You need E class available. This is regardless of your actual fare class. And mainline/eagle switching should be fine.

SJC AA Apr 26, 2015 11:38 pm

Does anyone understand what type of inventory needs to be available to SDC a business fare? For example, if I am booked in I, does I need to be available, or is J (or something else) sufficient?

hbtr Apr 27, 2015 9:14 am

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber (Post 24724349)
You need E class available. This is regardless of your actual fare class. And mainline/eagle switching should be fine.

Thanks! Now - is there any way to determine E class availability without calling? I don't see E listed among all the other fare classes reported by EF.

taxicabnumber Apr 27, 2015 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by hbtr (Post 24727235)
Thanks! Now - is there any way to determine E class availability without calling? I don't see E listed among all the other fare classes reported by EF.

It actually is on EF -- but oddly enough, in the Awards & Upgrades section rather than the Flight Availability section. Seems like a strange place to put it but I guess they had to stick it somewhere and it's not a revenue class you can buy?

TheSkyGuy Apr 27, 2015 7:41 pm

ORD - DFW

Anyone have any experience with SDC from ORD - DFW. Going down for the 787 inaugural next week, scheduled to leave early evening from ORD but would like to leave in the morning and get a day in Dallas.

On a Wednesday do you think avilabbitly is likely? Thanks.

beerup Apr 28, 2015 5:51 am

Originally Posted by DylanOakes (Post 24730412)
Anyone have any experience with SDC from ORD - DFW. Going down for the 787 inaugural next week, scheduled to leave early evening from ORD but would like to leave in the morning and get a day in Dallas.

For tomorrow (i.e., also a Wednesday) the first eleven ORD-DFW flights of the day are E2+.

dmsdfw Apr 28, 2015 7:23 am

Originally Posted by DylanOakes (Post 24730412)

Since you're an EXP, why not just to to ORD Wednesday morning and try to standby instead.

beerup Apr 28, 2015 7:27 am

Originally Posted by dmsdfw (Post 24732395)
Since you're an EXP, why not just to to ORD Wednesday morning and try to standby instead.

Why would that be preferable to a same-day confirmed flight change?