Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:11 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by sgan317
Yes they can, I routed JFK-CDG-AUH-PER through the US call center today. They found the F availability on CDG-AUH with no issues.
When is the flight? Within 3 weeks or more than 6 weeks?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by ffI
I have been tracking the blocking of seats by calling AA daily under different accounts....

- MORE THAN 3 weeks out Premium Blocked by AA ...

- LESS THAN 3 weeks out AA unblocks premium awards...

2 & 3 are new and due to AA blocking premium cabin on EY...

For some reason, Non-US routes are always not blocked by AA (so far). I think this is to keep the Non-US customers (non-captive) happy with AA, while keeping the US customers (captive) unhappy but with nowhere else to go after accumulating miles, other than on BA cabins with high fees.
Thank you for doing all this research! Questions:

(a) Did you check all USA gateways, or just some? I suspect they are not all the same.

(b) Why do you say AA is doing the blocking? The motivations you ascribe to AA are somewhat far-fetched, although I guess they're not impossible. EY competes with BA awards only at the edges, since USA-Europe, where there is the biggest demand for awards, is not accessible via EY. More generally, I am not sure why AA would want to push people to BA. It is more likely that EY is doing the blocking because it may be unhappy with its compensation for J/F awards using EY miles, or maybe it wants to save more J/F awards for its own members---but this is also pure speculation.

Originally Posted by ffI
It does not matter to us as we have EXP, so we can change miles awards on AA, but the vast majority of EY bookings will now incur change fees, if premium cabins are not open at first.
Changing an award from Y to J or F does not incur a change fee, it doesn't matter whether one is EXP.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ffI
I have been tracking the blocking of seats by calling AA daily under different accounts. In fact my significant other and I have both been calling 2-3 per day for past 2-3 weeks

This is the current state of blocking
No Guest Seat - NO SPACE whether booking EY or AA
This is ETIHAD BLOCKING SAVER SEATS TO SELL IF AT ALL POSSIBLE

- MORE THAN 3 weeks out Premium Blocked by AA
Etihad shows availability in Guest;
AA agent can see economy but NOT PREMIUM CABIN seats
At least US, UK, Trinidad and Fiji. I called all 4 numbers
(The latter 2 are for the Aus numbers at different times of the day)

- LESS THAN 3 weeks out AA unblocks premium awards
If guest seat open, AA agent can see it and Book in PREMIUM CABIN
(and economy as always)

- LESS THAN 1 week out EY unblocks SAVER seats in premium cabins
Now one sees a whole lot of Guest space open up which was not there before

1 & 4 above I have known for a while and routinely set my search to 1 week ahead at 6 AM US EST and I always found new space.
2 & 3 are new and due to AA blocking premium cabin on EY
QR is similar but less obvious as there are fewer seats on QR c/w EY

For some reason, Non-US routes are always not blocked by AA (so far).
I think this is to keep the Non-US customers (non-captive) happy with AA, while keeping the US customers (captive) unhappy but with nowhere else to go after accumulating miles, other than on BA cabins with high fees.

It does not matter to us as we have EXP, so we can change miles awards on AA, but the vast majority of EY bookings will now incur change fees, if premium cabins are not open at first.

All you have shown is that the agent can or can not find availability in some specific searches - why the agent cannot see availability is not known ; it could be AA or it could be EY
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold
Originally Posted by ffI
I called the US line last week and they were able to see plenty of availability in F for AUH-CDG for next July
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by ffI
January 2018
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks very much for going through the trouble of compiling and posting this info.

Originally Posted by ffI
I have been tracking the blocking of seats by calling AA daily under different accounts. In fact my significant other and I have both been calling 2-3 per day for past 2-3 weeks

(and economy as always)

1 & 4 above I have known for a while and routinely set my search to 1 week ahead at 6 AM US EST and I always found new space.

I think this is to keep the Non-US customers (non-captive) happy with AA, while keeping the US customers (captive) unhappy but with nowhere else to go after accumulating miles, other than on BA cabins with high fees.

Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
Originally Posted by ffI

(and economy as always)

Does this inability to see availability include when calling the Oz call center?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:42 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
US gateways - Blocking JFK is due to EY not releasing saver awards
- it is their best seat and they want to sell it - They have good loads on that flight in premium

IAD/SFO etc
SFO - EY is losing market share to AI and is down to 3 days a week.
Their load factors are low and they still want to block?
No way - that is AA - This is the same team while at US blocked LH F space

Yes, changing awards to F is fine, but what if you do not have space later on.
I am not saying ALL DAYS HAVE C/F space; I am saying that even when they do it is blocked.
A non EXP would have to hope that space opens up or it is 150$ cash out or a long trip in Y

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Thank you for doing all this research! Questions:

(a) Did you check all USA gateways, or just some? I suspect they are not all the same.

(b) Why do you say AA is doing the blocking? The motivations you ascribe to AA are somewhat far-fetched, although I guess they're not impossible. EY competes with BA awards only at the edges, since USA-Europe, where there is the biggest demand for awards, is not accessible via EY. More generally, I am not sure why AA would want to push people to BA. It is more likely that EY is doing the blocking because it may be unhappy with its compensation for J/F awards using EY miles, or maybe it wants to save more J/F awards for its own members---but this is also pure speculation.

Changing an award from Y to J or F does not incur a change fee, it doesn't matter whether one is EXP.
I have been able to call Jet and they "saw" space that is open to EY guest Saver awards same as on the EY websites, so it is not all partners not seeing space. It is AA not showing space to agents (US initially, now worldwide)

I have not gone the ANA route, as my account needs miles and I do not want to waste 100k Amex MR just to check. I would rather use it on EY when I need to for an emergency.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
All you have shown is that the agent can or can not find availability in some specific searches - why the agent cannot see availability is not known ; it could be AA or it could be EY
I only have trouble to UK and US. My trips AUH-LHR are a distant memory now.
Originally Posted by wolfeman27
I called the US line last week and they were able to see plenty of availability in F for AUH-CDG for next July

Last edited by ffI; Sep 25, 2017 at 10:57 am
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:48 am
ffI

Originally Posted by phazedowt
Does this inability to see availability include when calling the Oz call center?
Previously one could call UK or OZ and book - now it does not matter where you call - at least the usual lines all see the same thing (or do not)
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by ffI
I have been able to call Jet and they "saw" space that is open to EY guest Saver awards same as on the EY websites, so it is not all partners not seeing space. It is AA not showing space to agents (US initially, now worldwide)
That experiment proves nothing. It could just as well be EY not showing space to AA (US initially, now worldwide), which is the operating hypothesis on this thread. If you have real data refuting that, this would be great.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:18 pm

I tried calling mexico, colombia, etc.. and same result: AA couldn't see the EY F saver award space from AUH-JFK for late-March 2018
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:48 pm

I know we have all been having lots of "fun" with this, but I would like to bring a new issue to everyone's attention. After having given up hope with booking first/biz from AMD to JFK, I went to book the economy flight that has been previously available and all the CSRs have been mentioning as available. The CSR today was not able to find any availability on economy AMD - JFK in January 2018 even with etihad guest availability. Tried both US and NZ call centers. She was able to book AMD - AUH and AUH - JFK as separate tickets but was not able to book both legs under the same flight. Has anyone had this happen before, and successfully merge the two legs under one reservation? Right now it would cost 40k + 17.5k points when it should just be 40k.................I'm really getting tired of these games. Where does the line cross into false advertising?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by mikewhyatt
I know we have all been having lots of "fun" with this, but I would like to bring a new issue to everyone's attention. After having given up hope with booking first/biz from AMD to JFK, I went to book the economy flight that has been previously available and all the CSRs have been mentioning as available. The CSR today was not able to find any availability on economy AMD - JFK in January 2018 even with etihad guest availability. Tried both US and NZ call centers. She was able to book AMD - AUH and AUH - JFK as separate tickets but was not able to book both legs under the same flight. Has anyone had this happen before, and successfully merge the two legs under one reservation? Right now it would cost 40k + 17.5k points when it should just be 40k.................I'm really getting tired of these games. Where does the line cross into false advertising?
I believe this is the standard married segment issue that's been discussed previously in this thread. Sometimes XXX-AUH-JFK returns more availability than XXX-AUH//AUH-JFK and visa versa with no real rhyme or reason.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by mikewhyatt
I know we have all been having lots of "fun" with this, but I would like to bring a new issue to everyone's attention.
How can it be a new issue if it is clearly described in the wiki?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
How can it be a new issue if it is clearly described in the wiki?
Wow, I completely missed that. Apologies, still frustrating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.