Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Old Oct 11, 17, 5:57 pm

AUH-JFK - 0 business or F close in. Doesn't matter what etihad shows.
AUH-ORD - 0 J on Oct 13 even when it's showing 3 Guest Business.
0 J on Oct 16 when showing 1 Guest Business
2 J on Oct 17 when showing 4 Guest Business

Blocking seems to be coming from Etihad.
Old Oct 11, 17, 6:27 pm

Just this week I was able to book non-USA EY premium awards without issue. I went by the availability I saw on ExpertFlyer and the US-AA rep had no issues finding the same availability. EY clearly doesn't want partners redeeming miles on their JFK route, that's for sure.
Old Oct 11, 17, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.9M, AA EXP, *A Gold
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10 View Post
Just this week I was able to book non-USA EY premium awards without issue. I went by the availability I saw on ExpertFlyer and the US-AA rep had no issues finding the same availability. EY clearly doesn't want partners redeeming miles on their JFK route, that's for sure.
And yet our AUH-JFK segment last week was half-empty, which has been the case every time.
Old Oct 11, 17, 10:36 pm

Programs: United Premier, AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Bonvoy Gold; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Data point. Managed to find and book J AUH-LAX for Jan first week. Had a cousin call in with his CK status.
Old Oct 12, 17, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10 View Post
add IAD to that too. They can't find anything from there too.
Old Oct 12, 17, 10:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
It appears they are doing POS (point of sale) blocking from North America/South America/Asia/Australia/Europe for seats 30 days out into and out of NA. ANA also cannot pull up availability from Japan either so it isn't exclusive to AA.

Maybe more success if there is a middle east call center as they likely cannot block that. I'm just not sure if AA has one.
Old Oct 12, 17, 10:43 am

It's unfortunate EY is making this change to availability. I'm really glad I flew the Apartment in February. My wife and I were going from AUH-LAX and I considered flying in F direct to LAX on 777, but now I'm glad we did AUH-JFK-LAX instead or else we might have never been able to do it.
Old Oct 12, 17, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by knit-in View Post
Data point. Managed to find and book J AUH-LAX for Jan first week. Had a cousin call in with his CK status.
Thanks for this info. AFAIK, it's unique in recent experience. Any other CKs out there who've had such success or could call to try to duplicate?
Old Oct 12, 17, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Thunderroad View Post
Thanks for this info. AFAIK, it's unique in recent experience. Any other CKs out there who've had such success or could call to try to duplicate?
To the extent that availability exists for one agent vs. another (and that's less and less the case-- it _was_ the case when S.Pacific agents were able to see availability that most N.American agents couldn't, but this new wrinkle is more restrictive than that) that's a result of their pseudo-city sign-in, so CK/EP agent vs non-CK/EP agent really shouldn't have any real bearing there.
Old Oct 12, 17, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by knit-in View Post
This is definitely a new wrinkle. Seems to me that this indicates that this is a AA block -- to only be cleared for CK customers?
Old Oct 12, 17, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ravi100 View Post
This is definitely a new wrinkle. Seems to me that this indicates that this is a AA block -- to only be cleared for CK customers?
Definitely not, no.
Old Oct 12, 17, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ravi100 View Post
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
Definitely not, no.
Please tell us more...
Old Oct 12, 17, 10:16 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by Thunderroad View Post
Please tell us more...
Read JonNYC's second most recent post carefully. The term "pseudo city sign-in" is key.
Old Oct 12, 17, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
To the extent that availability exists for one agent vs. another (and that's less and less the case-- it _was_ the case when S.Pacific agents were able to see availability that most N.American agents couldn't, but this new wrinkle is more restrictive than that) that's a result of their pseudo-city sign-in, so CK/EP agent vs non-CK/EP agent really shouldn't have any real bearing there.
Maybe there is a secret location where EY awards are bookable, such that only CK agents are told how to sign in? Just sayin'.

Anyway, probably not a good idea to take any single report of success too seriously.
Old Oct 12, 17, 11:04 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax View Post
Read JonNYC's second most recent post carefully. The term "pseudo city sign-in" is key.
Which is a Sabre thing. I wonder if this is related to the switch to QIK instead of the full Sabre access that agents used to have.

Search this Thread