Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
No PDB's this morning on 2609 SNA-ORD. This is the 7am flight. OJ/Water would have been nice.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Oct 3, DFW-SFO. Ran from my inbound flight to find no PDB whatsoever.

After the 10k' chime no movement, after the seatbelt sign off just 2 FAs chatting. Once service began, outstanding.

This was a dichotomy that I'm not sure I've ever seen.
It's a dichotomy that I frequently see with long-time LAA FAs -- I particularly see it with STL based FAs, and they're completely unapologetic about the PDB. They've learned that they just need to provide some sort of excuse (like late inbound aircraft/catering, but this often seems to be BS), which is disappointing, because they really do often provide excellent service otherwise.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
10/21 LAX-LAS AA#72 A321 LAA - Full PDB
10/21 LAS-JFK AA#2229 B752 LAA - Tray of water. Asked for another beverage and was denied. 2L boarding as well. Sent a complaint to AA twitter as the service inconsistencies continue.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by brc757rr
10/21 LAS-JFK AA#2229 B752 LAA - Tray of water. Asked for another beverage and was denied. 2L boarding as well. Sent a complaint to AA twitter as the service inconsistencies continue.
This is just shameful. FA should be fired on the spot IMO.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cmd320
This is just shameful. FA should be fired on the spot IMO.
Tried to ask her why, but she ignored me and moved on. The response from AA via Twitter was rather weak, which was odd as they’re usually great about feedback.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
I'm wondering if Twitter is becoming a Cut and Paste Exercise for AA, much like the Complaint via the website.

Case in point, I had to go out to Chicago for the day, got to boarding late, bins were pretty full in F in ORD on the return. I thought the bag fit, but foolishly did not shut the bin. I was exhausted and fell asleep during the remaining boarding process. Didn't wake up until we were on final decent into BOS. When we land, I find that my bag had been moved back to row 12. So, I had to make my way to the back. Not happy.

Sent a DM to AA via Twitter, which I usually only reserve for positive feedback. Got a stock response: "We're sorry to hear about this incident with your luggage..." blah blah blah. Hyatt has gotten to be like this too, suggesting that the "Property has been notified".

In sum, no where to run to...
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
No PDB at all LGA-ORD #337
Old Oct 23, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA PP (1MM), Admirals Club, HH Diamond
My observation is that the former US Air routes rarely will offer a PDB. Seems to be much more common on flights that have been AA for a long time. On the other hand, a lot of it seems to be due to general apathy and the flight attendants being too busy chatting with each other or not paying attention. Sometimes I have to ask to have my jacket hung up, which I'm holding as obviously as I can on my lap.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by IvanCU
My observation is that the former US Air routes rarely will offer a PDB. Seems to be much more common on flights that have been AA for a long time. On the other hand, a lot of it seems to be due to general apathy and the flight attendants being too busy chatting with each other or not paying attention. Sometimes I have to ask to have my jacket hung up, which I'm holding as obviously as I can on my lap.
Former US routes? PMUS crews consistently deliver PDB service.

I'm batting near 100% on my East Coast Shuttle flights which are PMUS.
Flyer78 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Apathy? Surely you are mistaken.

Doug Parker recently gave the flight attendants an unscheduled pay increase. That raise had to be issued as a reward for superior job performance.
CHOPCHOP767 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
My experience is exactly the opposite. I almost always get a PDB on a LUS flight, and almost never on a mainline LAA flight.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:11 am

My observation is that the former US Air routes rarely will offer a PDB. ...
While your experience is your experience, this is simply not the case overall.

With the exception of late catering/out of the norm items...
pmUS is darn close to 100% on Full PDB.
pmAA is very inconsistent, maybe 50%. (but that could be +/- 20%)
CHOPCHOP767 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by jcatman
Apathy? Surely you are mistaken.

Doug Parker recently gave the flight attendants an unscheduled pay increase. That raise had to be issued as a reward for superior job performance.
Just keep in mind "superior job performance" in Doug's eyes will be greatly different than in ours.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
No PDB service on AA 108 on Thursday 19th Oct...

Full PDB service on AA 247 on Sunday 8th Oct...
Full PDB service on AA 9264 on Thursday 19th Oct...
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:05 am

No drinks offered DFW-Cancun this past week

Sent note on Twitter and AA seemed largely uninterested, although they did admit that on ALL flights a PDB should be offered

It just comes down to laziness on their part

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.