Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
10/6 1353 MIA-SJO. The GA started boarding before the crew was ready so we stood in the sweltering jetway for 10m before being allowed to get on the plane. I was a little peeved (and more than a little sweaty). We still had plenty of time before departure. FA did the rounds with water and OJ. I asked for a rum and tonic. She said fine. 5 minutes later another FA came to me and said they were too busy to serve me my PDB. I got up 5 minutes later (stell plent of time before departure) to get some water because I hadn't had anything to drink. Asked if I could get some water since they were too busy to make my rum and tonic. The second FA said he had been too busy stocking gatorade to get the alcohol out to serve drinks as he reluctantly poured me some water.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, United 1k
AA2304 DFW-IND, 6Oct: no PDB until the door was closed. Once the door was closed, beverage of choice flowed very quickly. Some were still being handed out as we pushed back. Never had that situation before.

I see see a lot of talk comparing AA to UA and DL. I have status on a 3 legacies, and they all have about the same batting average. Had DL skip the PDB on a transatlantic flight even though we boarded on time. Crew was “too busy” (doing what, I have no clue).
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:53 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I’ve been on DL this weekend and not only was a full PDB happily offered on every single flight, but every single employee I encountered could not have been nicer and actually appreciative of my business and I’m just a Gold Medallion.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:31 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by skylady
I'm not making excuses, only offering an observation.
Exactly - you implied that AA couldn't really care - that much I do believe. That some FAs really care - this I have seen for myself. I have great sympathy that FAs are not paid until the aircraft goes rather than from check-in as in Europe, but that is the American way.

What did surprise me on the two flights (out of eight this month) that drinks were offered is how few people took them.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
It's irritating that so much fuss is being made about the FAs not being "on the clock" to offer PDBs. All jobs have tasks that are necessary while not on the clock. The rate paid should cover these tasks well. I see this as a CSR tactic like the excuses you get when contacting a company about just about any issue. It's easier to justify why the error is happening than research what's really happening and work to get it fix.

FAs are paid to do a job. The company defines what that job requires. The employee accepts that definition or goes elsewhere for employment. If the employee refused to do the job then they should be terminated with cause.

Yes, simplistic but true.
USAmerican likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: AA PPro
Last weekend on a flight from DFW to LGA, they served PDB and later I found out it was a premium wine, in fact they had two really nice California Chardonnays, that were worth $20-25/bottle. I have never seen such quality of wine on a domestic flight. These wines were Int. Bus class quality. Any thoughts?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by tfizzle
Last weekend on a flight from DFW to LGA, they served PDB and later I found out it was a premium wine, in fact they had two really nice California Chardonnays, that were worth $20-25/bottle. I have never seen such quality of wine on a domestic flight. These wines were Int. Bus class quality. Any thoughts?
Miscater.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
10-06 AA1791 CLT-TPA full PDB.

FA had a tray of water but offered to take orders. Happily provided refills and snacks despite the short flight.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
10/6 AA 1865 CLT-DEN A-321: Full PDB ^^

Especially impressive as we were delayed due to late crew and had a full A-321 and yet the drinks were there.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:09 am

Programs: AA - Executive Platinum 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum
10/8 - LAX-JFK (J) - No pre-departure beverage served*. The FA stood in F chatting with other FAs instead of serving PBDs. When one of the other passengers commented "quick turn?" he reluctantly handed him a bottle of water, which led to other requests and the FA ended up passing out a bottle of water to the rests of the cabin.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by interactfx
10/8 - LAX-JFK (J) - No pre-departure beverage served*. The FA stood in F chatting with other FAs instead of serving PBDs. When one of the other passengers commented "quick turn?" he reluctantly handed him a bottle of water, which led to other requests and the FA ended up passing out a bottle of water to the rests of the cabin.
Wow, that's pathetic. Props to the pax who is apparently adept at using pointed sarcasm. I'm guessing service in the air wasn't fantastic, either...
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by interactfx
There should already be a bottle of water pre-placed at every seat in J.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
LAX-SMF. Boarded 5 minutes late. FA happily did full PDB service for the 12 seat cabin.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by brewdog11
Wow, that's pathetic. Props to the pax who is apparently adept at using pointed sarcasm. I'm guessing service in the air wasn't fantastic, either...
I’ve had FAs in both F & J on this route not offer bubbles as PDB. When they come around I simply say “No bubbles today?” Which clearly implies I know the expected service standard and then sure enough everyone else around
me starts asking for bubbles or taking it off the tray once it’s been brought into the cabin.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:16 pm
Formally known as reinmedia

Programs: AA EXP | EX UA 1K | Marriot Titanium
Water and OJ offered on our LAX-DFW flight (787) today. Delayed about an hour and I think they were trying to get out as quickly as possible. In-flight service was fantastic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.