Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources thru 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2015, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archive of older posts from the OSO thread; for the current thread see

AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources (master thread
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources thru 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:06 am

What will CX do to my AA award ticket on J?

I have a Cathay Pacific Award ticket in Business class from LAX to HKG due to weather. The flight today is canceled. How will they rebook me? What are my options? Will they put me in Business class via NRT, PVG on OneWorld if possible?

Thanks,
Tony
Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by tonytifao
I have a Cathay Pacific Award ticket in Business class from LAX to HKG due to weather. The flight today is canceled. How will they rebook me? What are my options? Will they put me in Business class via NRT, PVG on OneWorld if possible?

Thanks,
Tony
Yes, they will rebook you in Business on the next available option. For day of departure irrops like this, the fact that you're on an award ticket doesn't matter.

The problem is that all flights to HKG will be affected over the next day or two, so even if you can get rebooked on LAX-PVG or LAX-NRT, you most likely won't able to get to HKG from their either.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I'm in the same situation; flight booked in F was just canceled and there are no options today, everything is full or canceled. I asked about going across the Atlantic but the agent said my award didn't include TATL travel. Not sure what to do at the moment.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:51 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I'm in the same situation; flight booked in F was just canceled and there are no options today, everything is full or canceled. I asked about going across the Atlantic but the agent said my award didn't include TATL travel. Not sure what to do at the moment.
As always, what you should do is HUCA.

This is IRROPS, and routing rules go out the window. Last week, I was ticketed SGN-HKG-LAX-JFK-DCA (itself a recovery from multiple schedule changes), and ended up getting routed SGN-HKG-LHR-PHL-DCA, despite the routing rules. It's their job to get you to your destination.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by discoverCSG
As always, what you should do is HUCA.

This is IRROPS, and routing rules go out the window. Last week, I was ticketed SGN-HKG-LAX-JFK-DCA (itself a recovery from multiple schedule changes), and ended up getting routed SGN-HKG-LHR-PHL-DCA, despite the routing rules. It's their job to get you to your destination.
But in that case, AA cancelled the HKG-LAX flight, and it was AA that was able to rebook you home via Europe. You were working with the operating carrier.

In the OP's case, CX cancelled the LAX-HKG flight on the day of departure. OP needs to call CX or work with CX at the airport. AA will just treat it as an award ticket change, in which case you can't fly US to Asia 2 via Europe.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
OP needs to call CX or work with CX at the airport.
Yeppers. This is a plane-flying problem, not a ticket-issuing problem. OP needs to work with the people who are supposed to be flying the planes.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
For IRROPS, the best option is get rerouted in the airport, most of the time they will be able to give you more options that calling their CS.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:24 am

Thanks everyone. I'm on queue with CX for 1 hour and 7 min so far.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum - 1MM+
Good luck. Hope they give you some routing options. I got someone in Hong Kong at the moment on an extended layover (23 hours originally - now changed to more like 14 hours before she is off to the final destination HKT). She departed LAX yesterday to HKG.
Typhoon is supposed to hit late Friday afternoon (HK Time). Quantas already cancelled all flights as well. Some ferry service has been shut down as well. And the train service could be next starting late morning Friday.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by fedechat
For IRROPS, the best option is get rerouted in the airport, most of the time they will be able to give you more options that calling their CS.
That isn't necessarily true. I had a trip in vain issue, and the airport agents couldn't do a thing. They told me to call CS. Luckily I got a good CS and she rerouted me. Mr. AtomicLush also had IRROPS issues a few months ago traveling to Singapore (there's a thread somewhere on here) and airport agents would not assist other than telling him to keep flying to the next destination...each destination he went to, he missed his scheduled flight. It was like chasing his tail. It wasn't until he got to NRT, that they saw what was going on and actually booked him to his destination on another carrier to not lose more time. Airport assistance is hit or miss (just like calling CS).
Old Oct 20, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by fedechat
And in my experience, most CX airport agents are well-trained.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I got routed on AA and ANA. Although I'm in business, I think it's the best I could have hoped for. I'm pleased that they went out of their network and that I'll still arrive on the same day. At the airport, they did check BA but J and F were supposedly full. It just shows there aren't many partners to SE Asia other than CX.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I got routed on AA and ANA. Although I'm in business, I think it's the best I could have hoped for. I'm pleased that they went out of their network and that I'll still arrive on the same day. At the airport, they did check BA but J and F were supposedly full. It just shows there aren't many partners to SE Asia other than CX.
Don't overlook asking AA for Original Routing Credit - though it may be complicated by having CX rerouted you instead of AA.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:06 am

Where did you get rerouted? At the airport? or AA? or CX?

I have an AA J award PVG-HKG-YVR on Oct 21. The first segment is still on schedule but HKG-YVR segment is cancelled.

Wondering if I shall still wait on the phone with CX (been already waiting for > 1 hour), or I can call AA? Or maybe go to PVG in hope the agent can rebook me to other carrier?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tonywush
Where did you get rerouted? At the airport? or AA? or CX?

I have an AA J award PVG-HKG-YVR on Oct 21. The first segment is still on schedule but HKG-YVR segment is cancelled.

Wondering if I shall still wait on the phone with CX (been already waiting for > 1 hour), or I can call AA? Or maybe go to PVG in hope the agent can rebook me to other carrier?
Do not call AA, as we mentioned above. Either stay oh hold with CX or head to PVG early since your first PVG-HKG segment is still operating. CX has no problems rebooking you onto other carriers, but you need to speak with a CX agent, not AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.