Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA: service to Auckland, N. Z. / LAX-AKL as of 23 Jun 2016 (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 24, 2015, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
American Begins LAX - AKL / Auckland, New Zealand 788 Flights 23 June 2016

No flights 5 August 2017 and 5 October 2017 Refer to post 230 link.
American’s Los Angeles to Auckland flight will be suspended from August to October, and will then be upgraded from a 787-8 to a 787-9
LAX-AKL
Departs LAX at 10:45 p.m.
Arrives at AKL at 6:35 a.m., two days later

AKL-LAX
Departs AKL at 1:20 p.m.
Arrives at LAX at 6:20 a.m., same day

Enhanced service includes mattress pads, pajamas and new meals items in Business Class.

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
If tonight's sampling at the launch event was an accurate preview, then here's the menu they provided for LAX-AKL:

Canape:
Salmon Caviar Tartlet

Main Plates:
Grilled Beef Filet, balsamic butter, twice baked potato, baby squash
Eggplant Lasagne, pomodoro sauce
Pesto Grilled Shrimp

Dessert:
Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream (Cherry Garcia, Chocolate Brownie, Strawberry Cheesecake)

Mid-Flight Snack:
Angus Beef Slider

White Wine:
Mt. Beautiful Sauvignon Blanc, North Canterbury, NZ

Red Wine:
Opawa Pinot Noir, Marlborough, NZ

Nov. 10, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- American Airlines will add new nonstop service between its trans-Pacific gateway hub at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and Auckland Airport (AKL) in June 2016, pending regulatory approvals. The route to Auckland provides American's customers direct access to a new destination and further strengthens the airline's joint business with Qantas Airways. American has added six new trans-Pacific routes over the last three years, nearly doubling its presence in the region...

...American plans to operate its new daily service between LAX and AKL with the newest addition to its fleet, the Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner. The Dreamliner features a state-of-the-art onboard travel experience including international Wi-Fi, as well as higher humidity and pressurization closer to sea level conditions, leaving customers more refreshed after their flight. Every seat has a touchscreen monitor equipped with up to 260 movies, 240 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 350 albums and 20 games, along with universal AC power outlets and a USB connection. The aircraft is configured with 28 fully lie-flat Business Class seats, each with direct-aisle access. There are an additional 55 Main Cabin Extra seats with extra legroom, and 143 Main Cabin seats. Link
Link to Star-Telegram article.

Link to Australian Business Traveller article.
Print Wikipost

AA: service to Auckland, N. Z. / LAX-AKL as of 23 Jun 2016 (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 1:45 pm

Last but not least - can anyone confirm that they provide pajamas on this flight? I know they do when flying direct to SYD...
Old Sep 27, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by taffygrrl
Last but not least - can anyone confirm that they provide pajamas on this flight? I know they do when flying direct to SYD...
From Wiki at top of page:

LAX-AKL
Departs LAX at 10:45 p.m.
Arrives at AKL at 6:35 a.m., two days later

AKL-LAX
Departs AKL at 1:20 p.m.
Arrives at LAX at 6:20 a.m., same day

Enhanced service includes mattress pads, pajamas and new meals items in Business Class.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS NZ*G Elite QF*G
Decided to try this service CHC-AKL-LAX return in business on a recent itinerary to compare with Air New Zealand's offering, with which I am very familiar.

Pros:
  • Cabin equipment is comparable in terms of comfort. Seat converts to bed without having to flip right over, so you can go from sleeping to sitting without getting up.
  • Menu was reasonable.
  • IFE had good selection of movies and TV; more new releases than Air NZ typically offers.

Now come the cons:
  • The lack of good domestic connection options within the code-share pool is a deal-breaker. Oneworld connection from CHC to AKL is with Jetstar, which is a rubbish customer experience from beginning to end. Because of this alone, I would not book this service again unless I could get a CHC-AKL/AKL-CHC connection on Air New Zealand, although that breaks the ability to get boarding passes etc in advance.
  • Use of Jetstar means no lounge access at the CHC departure point and no lounge access in AKL on the return leg to CHC after the long-haul sector.
  • Use of Jetstar means an annoying walk with luggage from the international to the domestic terminal in Auckland on the return leg, plus a checkin and bagdrop in the zoo that is Jetstar domestic Auckland.
  • As expected, Jetstar ran late (60 minutes) on the return leg because their checkin system had crashed.
  • LAX-AKL departs from Terminal 4, where the business lounge is the AA Admirals club, which is a poor cousin to both Star Alliance and Oneworld lounges in Tom Bradley terminal. $9 for a beer (!!), and no complimentary hot food items. It's undergoing a major overhaul, so this will improve I guess.
  • AA FAs are friendly but the service overall isn't as smooth as Air New Zealand in a hundred small ways. No offer to assist with bedding, patchy service on refreshments, and a missed wakeup call for breakfast.

On balance, the longhaul leg is comparable, but the options at either end ruin the experience, and Air New Zealand definitely still has the edge.

Of course, it's still better than United!

The flight looked pretty full though, so Air New Zealand is definitely going to be feeling the competition on this route -- and about time.

Last edited by bleater; Sep 27, 2016 at 3:41 pm
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by taffygrrl
With a recommendation like that guess I'll be eating in the OneWorld lounge before I board the plane!

I'm flying the same route in 2 weeks (for work) and it's the only vegetarian option then too. Is it the same on the return or do they offer something different? Wish they'd follow Qantas's lead and do Indian Vegetarian...
Attached is a photo of the vegetarian offering for the AKL-LAX segment.

The eastbound offering for October certainly looks more appetizing. At same time, its lack luster in comparison to the meat options. Clearly, Im biased since I am a meat eater and prefer more wholesome, gourmet meals. A simple pasta with some vegetables stirred in just seems so lazy and dull. On other hand, the pasta should be filling and you'll also have a small salad to start (the other starter is a chicken spring roll). And then you'll have a made to order sundae and/or cheese platter. Theres also the mezze platter too (pictured below). I think theres enough in the carts to fill you up regardless of how hungry you are!
Attached Images   
Old Oct 10, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Does anyone have recent experience using SWU's on the LAX-AKL flights?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Does anyone have recent experience using SWU's on the LAX-AKL flights?
Yes. Read this thread. When are you flying? Without specific details, FT can't help you.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by bleater
The flight looked pretty full though, so Air New Zealand is definitely going to be feeling the competition on this route -- and about time.
I flew NZ2 last weekend and it was packed to the gills as well.

In my opinion there has been a shortage of nonstop seats from US to NZ. Both UA and AA adding service and going out full on most dates seems to support my hypothesis. Hopefully this will have a positive impact on fares and we will see more competitive US->AKL fares over time.

NZ is still the class act of the bunch, my experience was very positive as expected.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Looking forward to an upcoming trip to NZ mid-November from LAX - curious if anyone has flown recently and can speak to service, SWU success, etc?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by bakster21
Looking forward to an upcoming trip to NZ mid-November from LAX - curious if anyone has flown recently and can speak to service, SWU success, etc?
Just flew this. Was way too overconfident with SWU's (I needed to burn them) and barely made it, but there were 10+ people on the list who didn't get the upgrade. I would book paid J on this trip if you want to fly in a premium cabin. I really wonder whether AA should consider upgrading this route to 787-9, given the premium cabin demand.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:50 am

The 789 only adds 3 premium seats and actually has a lower premium maximum load factor vs the 788. Not the solution you're looking for I think.

789: 30/285 = 10.5% premium seats
788: 27/225 = 12.0%
773: 60/310 = 19.4%
772: 44/259 = 17%
763: 27/204 = 13.2%
333: 27/286 = 9.4%
332: 19/253 = 7.5%

Originally Posted by DoctorORD
...I really wonder whether AA should consider upgrading this route to 787-9, given the premium cabin demand.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by tfjim
The 789 only adds 3 premium seats and actually has a lower premium maximum load factor vs the 788. Not the solution you're looking for I think.

789: 30/285 = 10.5% premium seats
788: 27/225 = 12.0%
773: 60/310 = 19.4%
772: 44/259 = 17%
763: 27/204 = 13.2%
333: 27/286 = 9.4%
332: 19/253 = 7.5%
Interesting, thanks. Well, I was referring to premium economy when I meant "more premium seats". Is this route too long for upgauging to 772? (without cargo or passenger restrictions)
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Just flew this. Was way too overconfident with SWU's (I needed to burn them) and barely made it, but there were 10+ people on the list who didn't get the upgrade. I would book paid J on this trip if you want to fly in a premium cabin. I really wonder whether AA should consider upgrading this route to 787-9, given the premium cabin demand.
I sure hope they don't upgrade to a 789. Then my SWU would land me in Premium Y instead of J as I'm not allowed to book premium cabin travel for work. I know they plan to update planes and add premium economy to more routes but I just hope it stays two cabin for as long as possible.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:07 pm

Interesting, thanks. Well, I was referring to premium economy when I meant "more premium seats". Is this route too long for upgauging to 772? (without cargo or passenger restrictions)
Hmm, I don't believe so. AA operates the 777 on LAX-PVG which is almost as long as LAX-AKL. The biggest restriction, I imagine, would be the ETOPS diversion requirements for AKL vs PVG.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
With AA moving the 772s off longer routes in favour of the 787-8 and soon to be the 787-9, its very unlikely to see the 772 on LAX-AKL. An upgauge to the 787-9 is the most likely scenario if AA believes its necessary due to higher capacity.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by tfjim
Hmm, I don't believe so. AA operates the 777 on LAX-PVG which is almost as long as LAX-AKL. The biggest restriction, I imagine, would be the ETOPS diversion requirements for AKL vs PVG.
UAL are currently operating a 772 on the LAX-AKL route - I think they wanted the 787 aeroplane for a different route. (LAX-TEL?) About a decade ago when UAL downguaged from a 744 they operated a 772 which (IIRC) flew possibly the longest ETOPS one engine flight in history of about 3 hours ex AKL to HNL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.