Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA: service to Auckland, N. Z. / LAX-AKL as of 23 Jun 2016 (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 24, 2015, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
American Begins LAX - AKL / Auckland, New Zealand 788 Flights 23 June 2016

No flights 5 August 2017 and 5 October 2017 Refer to post 230 link.
American’s Los Angeles to Auckland flight will be suspended from August to October, and will then be upgraded from a 787-8 to a 787-9
LAX-AKL
Departs LAX at 10:45 p.m.
Arrives at AKL at 6:35 a.m., two days later

AKL-LAX
Departs AKL at 1:20 p.m.
Arrives at LAX at 6:20 a.m., same day

Enhanced service includes mattress pads, pajamas and new meals items in Business Class.

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
If tonight's sampling at the launch event was an accurate preview, then here's the menu they provided for LAX-AKL:

Canape:
Salmon Caviar Tartlet

Main Plates:
Grilled Beef Filet, balsamic butter, twice baked potato, baby squash
Eggplant Lasagne, pomodoro sauce
Pesto Grilled Shrimp

Dessert:
Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream (Cherry Garcia, Chocolate Brownie, Strawberry Cheesecake)

Mid-Flight Snack:
Angus Beef Slider

White Wine:
Mt. Beautiful Sauvignon Blanc, North Canterbury, NZ

Red Wine:
Opawa Pinot Noir, Marlborough, NZ

Nov. 10, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- American Airlines will add new nonstop service between its trans-Pacific gateway hub at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and Auckland Airport (AKL) in June 2016, pending regulatory approvals. The route to Auckland provides American's customers direct access to a new destination and further strengthens the airline's joint business with Qantas Airways. American has added six new trans-Pacific routes over the last three years, nearly doubling its presence in the region...

...American plans to operate its new daily service between LAX and AKL with the newest addition to its fleet, the Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner. The Dreamliner features a state-of-the-art onboard travel experience including international Wi-Fi, as well as higher humidity and pressurization closer to sea level conditions, leaving customers more refreshed after their flight. Every seat has a touchscreen monitor equipped with up to 260 movies, 240 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 350 albums and 20 games, along with universal AC power outlets and a USB connection. The aircraft is configured with 28 fully lie-flat Business Class seats, each with direct-aisle access. There are an additional 55 Main Cabin Extra seats with extra legroom, and 143 Main Cabin seats. Link
Link to Star-Telegram article.

Link to Australian Business Traveller article.
Print Wikipost

AA: service to Auckland, N. Z. / LAX-AKL as of 23 Jun 2016 (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: QF Gold, CX Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Any reports of successful rebookings due to the suspension?
My ticket was booked through QF, however they made a request to AA and AA opened up a U seat on the same day on AA73 (but this was not a problem for me as my final destination was SYD).

I assume AA would open you up a seat on AA73 and then send you back to AKL on QF?

Last edited by rabbits5; May 7, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Old May 7, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
SWU cleared for AA82 about 36 hours before departure. I received an EF alert at 3am of the day prior. Not sure when inventory actually opened since I was dead asleep. About 24 hours prior there was still C availability even after it seemed waitlisted SWUs had cleared.

I waitlisted about 1 month before departure. There were about 9 empty J seats on the map about 2 days prior.

I took a rear facing seat along the windows. Predeparture service was really good. Taking off now....
Old May 8, 2017, 11:02 am

Also, I was told that J upgrades were available today at check-in for $700.
Old May 22, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), AA Platinum Pro
LAX / AKL flight not showing for late 2017??

Hey guys,

So I was looking at various options to AKL, and everything I check isn't showing AA's LAX > AKL flight in mid-late Sept. / the rest of the year.

Am I missing something? Are they moving this flight to seasonal?
Old May 22, 2017, 2:14 pm

Yes it is becoming seasonal, see here.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...change-sydney/
Old May 22, 2017, 2:23 pm
Suspended

If one looks at the business milesaver availability for this flight in coming days, one can see why (going seasonal.)

Personally I'm starting to wonder about the long-term viability.
Old May 22, 2017, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
A great example of how it's a balance for elites: we want loads to be light enough to accommodate SWUs, SAAver inventory, etc. But if loads are too light then we'll lose the route altogether...

Eliminating LAX-AKL and downgrading LAX-SYD to a 789 would be a double whammy.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by oysterhead43
A great example of how it's a balance for elites: we want loads to be light enough to accommodate SWUs, SAAver inventory, etc. But if loads are too light then we'll lose the route altogether...

Eliminating LAX-AKL and downgrading LAX-SYD to a 789 would be a double whammy.
As long as they are charging 7500 plus for business seats to a leisure destination they will not fill the cabin, if they priced it around 3000 they probably would sell many more seats.
Old May 23, 2017, 4:28 am

Programs: DL 360, Marriott Ambassador, AA Plat
Originally Posted by JonNYC
If one looks at the business milesaver availability for this flight in coming days, one can see why (going seasonal.)

It's an extremely seasonal destination. AA (and just about anyone else) can and will fill the J seats at $7.5K a piece during the southern summer. From around mid-Nov to mid-Feb. But during the southern winter the planes are empty.

I am flying AKL - LAX tomorrow and my upgrade cleared a week out. When I fly this route again in Jan, I'll have to pony up for the J seat.
Old May 23, 2017, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by zeke320
As long as they are charging 7500 plus for business seats to a leisure destination they will not fill the cabin, if they priced it around 3000 they probably would sell many more seats.
When they can sell business seats to European airports at $3K (or higher) for just 2/3 the distance it's not hard to see why they don't serve AKL daily.
Old May 23, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: AA EXP
When I flew this route in February, J seats were being sold for about $6500. Only 2 upgraded cleared on the outbound and 1 on the return. Y was completely sold out (they were even asking for volunteers to fly the following day on the return).

This trend seemed to be common for all flights from January - March.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by dciolli
When I flew this route in February, J seats were being sold for about $6500. Only 2 upgraded cleared on the outbound and 1 on the return. Y was completely sold out (they were even asking for volunteers to fly the following day on the return).

This trend seemed to be common for all flights from January - March.
Good thing the flight will be upguaged to 787-9 for New Zealand's peak season.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Astronomer
It's an extremely seasonal destination. AA (and just about anyone else) can and will fill the J seats at $7.5K a piece during the southern summer. From around mid-Nov to mid-Feb. But during the southern winter the planes are empty.

I am flying AKL - LAX tomorrow and my upgrade cleared a week out. When I fly this route again in Jan, I'll have to pony up for the J seat.
I have never seen an empty plane to New Zealand in any season.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
It took me weeks just to find 2 weekend T MileSAAver awards for next March/April for LAX-AKL-LAX. No U MileSAAver awards available on any day in either direction. There is some T saver space left but it's through SYD. I'm hoping by then there is at least an upgrade path to PE if not business.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by taxatty56
. I'm hoping by then there is at least an upgrade path to PE if not business.
when flying on a Y award? No chance IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.