Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA: service to Auckland, N. Z. / LAX-AKL as of 23 Jun 2016 (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 24, 2015, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
American Begins LAX - AKL / Auckland, New Zealand 788 Flights 23 June 2016

No flights 5 August 2017 and 5 October 2017 Refer to post 230 link.
American’s Los Angeles to Auckland flight will be suspended from August to October, and will then be upgraded from a 787-8 to a 787-9
LAX-AKL
Departs LAX at 10:45 p.m.
Arrives at AKL at 6:35 a.m., two days later

AKL-LAX
Departs AKL at 1:20 p.m.
Arrives at LAX at 6:20 a.m., same day

Enhanced service includes mattress pads, pajamas and new meals items in Business Class.

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
If tonight's sampling at the launch event was an accurate preview, then here's the menu they provided for LAX-AKL:

Canape:
Salmon Caviar Tartlet

Main Plates:
Grilled Beef Filet, balsamic butter, twice baked potato, baby squash
Eggplant Lasagne, pomodoro sauce
Pesto Grilled Shrimp

Dessert:
Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream (Cherry Garcia, Chocolate Brownie, Strawberry Cheesecake)

Mid-Flight Snack:
Angus Beef Slider

White Wine:
Mt. Beautiful Sauvignon Blanc, North Canterbury, NZ

Red Wine:
Opawa Pinot Noir, Marlborough, NZ

Nov. 10, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- American Airlines will add new nonstop service between its trans-Pacific gateway hub at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and Auckland Airport (AKL) in June 2016, pending regulatory approvals. The route to Auckland provides American's customers direct access to a new destination and further strengthens the airline's joint business with Qantas Airways. American has added six new trans-Pacific routes over the last three years, nearly doubling its presence in the region...

...American plans to operate its new daily service between LAX and AKL with the newest addition to its fleet, the Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner. The Dreamliner features a state-of-the-art onboard travel experience including international Wi-Fi, as well as higher humidity and pressurization closer to sea level conditions, leaving customers more refreshed after their flight. Every seat has a touchscreen monitor equipped with up to 260 movies, 240 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 350 albums and 20 games, along with universal AC power outlets and a USB connection. The aircraft is configured with 28 fully lie-flat Business Class seats, each with direct-aisle access. There are an additional 55 Main Cabin Extra seats with extra legroom, and 143 Main Cabin seats. Link
Link to Star-Telegram article.

Link to Australian Business Traveller article.
Print Wikipost

AA: service to Auckland, N. Z. / LAX-AKL as of 23 Jun 2016 (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Questions and replies dealing with AA awards on CX AKL-HKG-EWR have been moved to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ilability.html

/Moderator
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I flew LAX-AKL last Wednesday. I bought the ticket in mid-November and applied a SWU which didn't clear until 30 minutes before boarding. I was one of three people on a waitlist of 10 or so who cleared. The crew were younger than I was expecting, especially compared to SYD-LAX which I flew the next week. Service was very good and the flat bed is actually quite comfortable (I slept for seven hours). There are PJs, slippers, an amenity kit and a mattress pad. Meals are a little light on both ends (picture link below). Overall, I was much more impressed than I thought I'd be, though SYD-LAX even in J gets better service.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27852495-post25.html
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by CMK10
I flew LAX-AKL last Wednesday. I bought the ticket in mid-November and applied a SWU which didn't clear until 30 minutes before boarding. I was one of three people on a waitlist of 10 or so who cleared. The crew were younger than I was expecting, especially compared to SYD-LAX which I flew the next week. Service was very good and the flat bed is actually quite comfortable (I slept for seven hours). There are PJs, slippers, an amenity kit and a mattress pad. Meals are a little light on both ends (picture link below). Overall, I was much more impressed than I thought I'd be, though SYD-LAX even in J gets better service.

Mrs.G and I are flying AA83 this Sunday 2/5/17, and I'm rather nervous about upgrades even though it's J7 with 8 empty seats. This is mainly because I only bought tickets mid-December and MCE was fairly booked by then, not a good indicator of upgrade priority.

Fingers crossed, cuz this is a very long flight in econ for my creaky old back.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:39 am

I'm looking forward to this flight on 3/15. Will be my first long haul in business on actual AA metal. So far most reviews seem to be positive.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CMK10
I flew LAX-AKL last Wednesday. I bought the ticket in mid-November and applied a SWU which didn't clear until 30 minutes before boarding.
CMK10, can you comment on the dividers between the middle seats on your flight? Were they fixed in the up or down positions, or moveable? There were differing reports on this late last year but I haven't seen a recent update.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:31 pm

Just flew in this morning. Cattle class for me. Watched a few days to see what seating was like before pulling the trigger on a MCE seat. Waited like later at the airport before fully checking in as recommended. Was only partly full so ended up with 16ABC to myself.
Trip home doesn't look so lucky- after sitting in the seat I will definitely be getting MCE home so I have some legroom.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by deeruck
CMK10, can you comment on the dividers between the middle seats on your flight? Were they fixed in the up or down positions, or moveable? There were differing reports on this late last year but I haven't seen a recent update.
The middle seat dividers were down when I sat down in 6D and I never tried to move them. Sorry I wish I'd played around with it now.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:07 am

Upsell to First?

Was trying a search from the NZ site this afternoon, was presented with pricing for First. Am I missing something or is this a misleading upsell to a product that doesn't exist?
Attached Images   
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EP
Did u click on it and see what flights were offered? It could be a connection via SYD where first is offered.

Originally Posted by deeruck
Was trying a search from the NZ site this afternoon, was presented with pricing for First. Am I missing something or is this a misleading upsell to a product that doesn't exist?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Did u click on it and see what flights were offered? It could be a connection via SYD where first is offered.
No, you can see in the first picture that the pricing is for the non-stop service (I did click through as you suggest to confirm).
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K
Just ticketed and waitlisted a Y>J SWU on Monday May 8 for flight AA82 (AKL-LAX).

Seat availability looks good, EF shows:

J7 R7 D7 I7 Y7 B0 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7 E7

Wish me luck.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by oysterhead43
Just ticketed and waitlisted a Y>J SWU on Monday May 8 for flight AA82 (AKL-LAX).

Seat availability looks good, EF shows:

J7 R7 D7 I7 Y7 B0 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7 E7

Wish me luck.
Good luck. That's good availability at this point.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:40 pm
Suspended

As discussed in other thread(s) today, AKL flight being suspended for 8 weeks, August 7th- October 6th (I think those are the dates.)
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JonNYC
As discussed in other thread(s) today, AKL flight being suspended for 8 weeks, August 7th- October 6th (I think those are the dates.)
Low demand? Flights seem pretty full, even this month which is slow season.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by oysterhead43
Low demand? Flights seem pretty full, even this month which is slow season.
This isn't truly the slowest season yet, and, as we know, "flights seem pretty full" ≠ profitability data.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.