Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA: service to Auckland, N. Z. / LAX-AKL as of 23 Jun 2016 (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 24, 2015, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
American Begins LAX - AKL / Auckland, New Zealand 788 Flights 23 June 2016

No flights 5 August 2017 and 5 October 2017 Refer to post 230 link.
American’s Los Angeles to Auckland flight will be suspended from August to October, and will then be upgraded from a 787-8 to a 787-9
LAX-AKL
Departs LAX at 10:45 p.m.
Arrives at AKL at 6:35 a.m., two days later

AKL-LAX
Departs AKL at 1:20 p.m.
Arrives at LAX at 6:20 a.m., same day

Enhanced service includes mattress pads, pajamas and new meals items in Business Class.

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
If tonight's sampling at the launch event was an accurate preview, then here's the menu they provided for LAX-AKL:

Canape:
Salmon Caviar Tartlet

Main Plates:
Grilled Beef Filet, balsamic butter, twice baked potato, baby squash
Eggplant Lasagne, pomodoro sauce
Pesto Grilled Shrimp

Dessert:
Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream (Cherry Garcia, Chocolate Brownie, Strawberry Cheesecake)

Mid-Flight Snack:
Angus Beef Slider

White Wine:
Mt. Beautiful Sauvignon Blanc, North Canterbury, NZ

Red Wine:
Opawa Pinot Noir, Marlborough, NZ

Nov. 10, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- American Airlines will add new nonstop service between its trans-Pacific gateway hub at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and Auckland Airport (AKL) in June 2016, pending regulatory approvals. The route to Auckland provides American's customers direct access to a new destination and further strengthens the airline's joint business with Qantas Airways. American has added six new trans-Pacific routes over the last three years, nearly doubling its presence in the region...

...American plans to operate its new daily service between LAX and AKL with the newest addition to its fleet, the Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner. The Dreamliner features a state-of-the-art onboard travel experience including international Wi-Fi, as well as higher humidity and pressurization closer to sea level conditions, leaving customers more refreshed after their flight. Every seat has a touchscreen monitor equipped with up to 260 movies, 240 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 350 albums and 20 games, along with universal AC power outlets and a USB connection. The aircraft is configured with 28 fully lie-flat Business Class seats, each with direct-aisle access. There are an additional 55 Main Cabin Extra seats with extra legroom, and 143 Main Cabin seats. Link
Link to Star-Telegram article.

Link to Australian Business Traveller article.
Print Wikipost

AA: service to Auckland, N. Z. / LAX-AKL as of 23 Jun 2016 (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2017, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by taxatty56
OK. Thanks for the scoop! So what happens now to our MIA-LAX-AKL-LAX-MIA AA award tickets for the post-March 23rd AKL-LAX return flights? When there is a cancellation like this, should I be able to get as replacements QF award AKL-SYD-DFW seats if I want them?
I'd certainly expect a large amount of accommodation on their part, will have to wait a bit to see the specifics.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: Oneworld, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I'd certainly expect a large amount of accommodation on their part, will have to wait a bit to see the specifics.
I just called and spoke to American Exec Plat line. Lady was very nice.

1) They can't re-accommodate me on anything except coach right now
2) She advised me to "wait a few weeks" and call back, and said something about someone from american would be liasing with Qantas to attempt to re-accommodate.
3) Couldn't guarantee we'd remain in business

4) we're currently scheduled to fly late may LAX-AKL-BNE-CNS
5) Had separate air canada tix booked via united on the way back. Will be bummed if I have to cancel that leg and eat the fees.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by denff
I just called and spoke to American Exec Plat line. Lady was very nice.

1) They can't re-accommodate me on anything except coach right now
2) She advised me to "wait a few weeks" and call back, and said something about someone from american would be liasing with Qantas to attempt to re-accommodate.
3) Couldn't guarantee we'd remain in business

4) we're currently scheduled to fly late may LAX-AKL-BNE-CNS
5) Had separate air canada tix booked via united on the way back. Will be bummed if I have to cancel that leg and eat the fees.
You'll remain in business, I'd bet on it.

Way too soon to be trying though, sit tight.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EP
👍👍👍👍

Originally Posted by jonnyc
you'll remain in business, i'd bet on it.

Way too soon to be trying though, sit tight.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: Oneworld, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
👍👍👍👍
Hope you and John are right!
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:02 am

Bit of a random question, i'm looking at booking LHR to JFK, IAD to AKL (via LAX) all on the same AA ticket and AA metal. I'm trying to work out what baggage policy would apply?

Transpacific says 2x23kg, but as its all on the same ticket im wondering if that would right through from LHR? Will have a weeks stopover between landing in JFK and flying out of IAD too
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Protect policy in place:

May rebook on:

 AA Prime between LAX-SYD
 AA*/QF codeshare, connecting flights between AKL and SYD
 JQ Prime, connecting flights between AKL and SYD

Lowest available inventory – Same Cabin
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL 360, Marriott Ambassador, AA Plat
As someone who flies to AKL 2x - 3x a year, this is very disappointing. I understand the demand is definitely seasonal, especially from an NA-origin tourism perspective, however, AA should have probably given it a longer run year round and tried to build a customer base ex-NZ. Perhaps if the JV with QF had gone through, AA would have been able to maintain a year round presence.

I guess its back to flying NZ to NZ for me now. Not that I mind it from a service point of view.

On a separate note, AA's international network (or the lack of it), along with unnecessary fights with the likes of QR is driving me away from AA for all international travel. AA's loss!
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Astronomer
...Perhaps if the JV with QF had gone through, AA would have been able to maintain a year round presence.
Definitely a big factor as well as a "message they are trying to send" to that effect, both.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Protect policy in place:

May rebook on:

 AA Prime between LAX-SYD
 AA*/QF codeshare, connecting flights between AKL and SYD
 JQ Prime, connecting flights between AKL and SYD

Lowest available inventory – Same Cabin
Thanks again! Since we must return to the US from NZ on a particular day, we didn't want to chance it, so we just switched to QF AKL-SYD (we'd rather avoid JQ if possible) then AA SYD-LAX. The AAgent I called first said the AA AKL-LAX flight hadn't been cancelled, but within 30 seconds agreed and rebooked us. Only T space available, which is what we already had.
JonNYC and deeruck like this.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 2:11 pm

Definitely a big factor as well as a "message they are trying to send" to that effect, both.
Are you expecting them to send a revised application to the US DOT sometime soon?

I am no fan of oligopolies and reduction in competition (as is the case in the US domestic market), but this is one instance where the lack of a JV is actually reducing options for the traveling public.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:02 pm

Got 4 seats from LAX-AKL in J next June.
They changed to LAX-SYD -AKL. SYD-AKL has availability on QF, they just had to open 4 J seats from LAX-SYD.

You can take a voluntary downgrade on SYD-AKL if there's coach seat and tell them to accommodate you on LAX-SYD.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:08 pm
Suspended

...but this is one instance where the lack of a JV is actually reducing options for the traveling public.
I'd say that's both true in this case -and- is the case AA is trying to make, as it were.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
Are you expecting them to send a revised application to the US DOT sometime soon?

I am no fan of oligopolies and reduction in competition (as is the case in the US domestic market), but this is one instance where the lack of a JV is actually reducing options for the traveling public.
That has been the suggestion for most this year, and there's been more news about it recently, including here from August 2, 2017:

Qantas will apply once more to the US authorities for an expanded joint venture deal with American Airlines, in a move that could boost benefits for Qantas Frequent Flyer members: such as through improved earning rates for points and status credits on AA flights.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by deeruck
That has been the suggestion for most this year, and there's been more news about it recently, including here from August 2, 2017:
I'd missed this. Thanks for posting!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.