Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA: service to Auckland, N. Z. / LAX-AKL as of 23 Jun 2016 (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 24, 2015, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
American Begins LAX - AKL / Auckland, New Zealand 788 Flights 23 June 2016

No flights 5 August 2017 and 5 October 2017 Refer to post 230 link.
American’s Los Angeles to Auckland flight will be suspended from August to October, and will then be upgraded from a 787-8 to a 787-9
LAX-AKL
Departs LAX at 10:45 p.m.
Arrives at AKL at 6:35 a.m., two days later

AKL-LAX
Departs AKL at 1:20 p.m.
Arrives at LAX at 6:20 a.m., same day

Enhanced service includes mattress pads, pajamas and new meals items in Business Class.

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
If tonight's sampling at the launch event was an accurate preview, then here's the menu they provided for LAX-AKL:

Canape:
Salmon Caviar Tartlet

Main Plates:
Grilled Beef Filet, balsamic butter, twice baked potato, baby squash
Eggplant Lasagne, pomodoro sauce
Pesto Grilled Shrimp

Dessert:
Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream (Cherry Garcia, Chocolate Brownie, Strawberry Cheesecake)

Mid-Flight Snack:
Angus Beef Slider

White Wine:
Mt. Beautiful Sauvignon Blanc, North Canterbury, NZ

Red Wine:
Opawa Pinot Noir, Marlborough, NZ

Nov. 10, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- American Airlines will add new nonstop service between its trans-Pacific gateway hub at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and Auckland Airport (AKL) in June 2016, pending regulatory approvals. The route to Auckland provides American's customers direct access to a new destination and further strengthens the airline's joint business with Qantas Airways. American has added six new trans-Pacific routes over the last three years, nearly doubling its presence in the region...

...American plans to operate its new daily service between LAX and AKL with the newest addition to its fleet, the Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner. The Dreamliner features a state-of-the-art onboard travel experience including international Wi-Fi, as well as higher humidity and pressurization closer to sea level conditions, leaving customers more refreshed after their flight. Every seat has a touchscreen monitor equipped with up to 260 movies, 240 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 350 albums and 20 games, along with universal AC power outlets and a USB connection. The aircraft is configured with 28 fully lie-flat Business Class seats, each with direct-aisle access. There are an additional 55 Main Cabin Extra seats with extra legroom, and 143 Main Cabin seats. Link
Link to Star-Telegram article.

Link to Australian Business Traveller article.
Print Wikipost

AA: service to Auckland, N. Z. / LAX-AKL as of 23 Jun 2016 (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: DL 360, Marriott Ambassador, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Hengilas
I have never seen an empty plane to New Zealand in any season.
Just landed in LAX from AKL. Flight was about 60% full.

This is not unexpected in the May - September period. There is a slight uptick in July during school and university holidays, but aside of that planes are usually not full. This was the case even on Air NZ when they used to be the sole operator between NZ and US.
Old May 24, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by oysterhead43
when flying on a Y award? No chance IMO.
This was based upon the hope that since there is now no such thing as an AA PE award ticket, if AA creates such a thing by next spring and offers any on these flights (granted, not very likely), thereafter trying to move up by paying the difference above T in miles, whatever it is, if it appears to be worth upgrading from the MCE seats we already have through PLT status.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Astronomer
Just landed in LAX from AKL. Flight was about 60% full.

This is not unexpected in the May - September period. There is a slight uptick in July during school and university holidays, but aside of that planes are usually not full. This was the case even on Air NZ when they used to be the sole operator between NZ and US.
NZ's North American flights in the past 10 years has typically always full, with average load factors of 85-95% year round. Despite the AA service NZ has still been able to maintain double daily on AKL-LAX with an 77W.

NZ is pretty smart with filling excess seats at short-notice, they have there own virtual LCC called "Grab-a-Seat" which they will dump seats an month out if needed starting at $799return ex-AKL.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Guess I had missed that LAX-AKL will be the 789 with PE seats over the peak/holiday season.

Good to hear. Having PE as the fall back if the SWU doesn't clear would be less worrisome.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: QF OWE, NZ EP, Le Club Gold, HH Silver
I'm flying AKL-LAX on 19 July on the AA82 flight, currently in 10C (although if anyone has a SWU begging I would happily accept :-) )

Does anyone know if there is usually a long immigration processing time off this flight. I see it arrives at Terminal 4 and it appears to be the only international flight arriving for hours either side. Do other terminals filter into the same immigration flow? What have people experienced in terms of timings for deplane-curb?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Perk; Jul 9, 2017 at 8:23 pm
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Perk
I'm flying AKL-LAX on 19 July on the AA82 flight, currently in 10C (although if anyone has a SWU begging I would happily accept :-) )

Does anyone know if there is usually a long immigration processing time off this flight. I see it arrives at Terminal 4 and it appears to be the only international flight arriving for hours either side. Do other terminals filter into the same immigration flow? What have people experienced in terms of timings for deplane-curb?
I doubt it's the only flight for hours each side, coming into LAX. My experience is the immigration line is pretty fast thru LAX, less than 1 hour. But I'd never book a connection less than 2 hours.

Try the new passport app. You may get a separate line - some have reported lines as fast as Global Entry.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP

Thanks in advance.
You get to walk through a long tunnel, briefly outside, then back inside to the TBIT immigration facility. AA82 arrives at a similar time to a bank of flights across the Pacific, but they've really sped things up at TBIT in the past few years.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:53 pm

Programs: QF OWE, NZ EP, Le Club Gold, HH Silver
I meant the only international flight arriving at terminal 4, I've only got carry on and am connecting to a domestic flight, anyone has a similar experience recently?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:47 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I meant the only international flight arriving at terminal 4, I've only got carry on and am connecting to a domestic flight, anyone has a similar experience recently?
Originally Posted by deeruck
You get to walk through a long tunnel, briefly outside, then back inside to the TBIT immigration facility. AA82 arrives at a similar time to a bank of flights across the Pacific, but they've really sped things up at TBIT in the past few years.
I did this in April. You have to walk through to TBIT from T4 its quite an odd walk. LIke hte post above says part of it ends up outside. I got through with GE in no time. Went upstairs and went through security at TBIT. Maybe 8 people in front of me in line it was a ghost town.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I made this flight in mid June. The walk from T4 to CBP took longer than getting through CBP and security. I couldn't find Mobile Pass support so I used a kiosk. Very easy and the connector security was very quick. IIRC connector security only offered Pre-Check "lite".
Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Was looking at some options. Did AA cancel LAX-AKL? Can't see to find anything on EF or in looking at pricing on AA or google flights.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Was looking at some options. Did AA cancel LAX-AKL? Can't see to find anything on EF or in looking at pricing on AA or google flights.
It's off for summer (NZ winter) and then being upgauged to a 789 from October.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:56 am
Suspended

shorter season

Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
From VFTW, suspended also from Apr to Oct 2018

Last edited by beachfan; Aug 19, 2017 at 12:17 pm
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
OK. Thanks for the scoop! So what happens now to our MIA-LAX-AKL-LAX-MIA AA award tickets for the post-March 23rd AKL-LAX return flights? When there is a cancellation like this, should I be able to get as replacements QF award AKL-SYD-DFW seats if I want them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.