Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: ORD / Chicago O'Hare International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2015, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

At Chicago O’Hare (ORD), American Airlines operates out of Terminal 3

AA Ticket counters Open daily: 3:30am to 10:00pm
Flagship Check-in: Yes
Five Star Service: Yes
Curbside check-in: International only

Check-in times
In most locations, you must be checked in:
At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States
At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to or from airports outside of the United States

Peculiarities:
ORD can be affected by winter storms or very heavy air traffic; ground holds even at incoming flights' departures airports, are not uncommon at these times. Knock-on effects during lengthy IROPS can manifest themselves systemwide.

NOTE: AA has 66 gates at Terminal 3, and has added five more at Concourse. Alaska, Iberia, and Japan Airlines all depart AA T-3. Alaska has moved to Terminal 2. All international arrivals are at Terminal 5, many international departures as well. AB, BA, CX, EY, QR, RJ depart T-5.

International arrivals from Canada airports without USCBP pre-clearance are sometimes listed as arriving at "IAB" - International Arrivals Building. These aircraft's passengers will not arrive at T-3 as domestic passengers; by Federal law, they must be cleared by USCBP, and that facility is at T-5.

There is no airside connection T-3 <--> T-5; one must go landside and use the free "ATS" airport train. Flyers connecting to BA departing T-5 may use the airside shuttle bus departing near gates G17 and K20. Every half hour 11 am - 9 pm. Sign with orange dot. TTB SERVICE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED - TTB service takes travelers from the domestic terminals (1, 2, & 3) to Terminal 5 without having to exit security or be rescreened in Terminal 5 at the TSA​ checkpoint. [Still suspended as of 4/30/2022] Airside connection has been restored March 1, 2023 - SEE BELOW

Operating terminals and gates
Terminal 1 is used by All Nippon Airlines (Departures), Ethiopian (Departures), Lufthansa (Departures), and United.

Terminal 2 is used by Air Canada, Alaska, Delta, and previously US Airways, jetBlue, along with many United Express flights.

Terminal 3 is used by Alaska Airlines, American Airlines and for departures only by Iberia and Japan Airlines (exception: arriving international flights that have been USCBP cleared, e.g. originating in Canada or DUB, arrive at Terminal 3 as domestic flights). Other airlines flying domestically and not mentioned above are also handled in Terminal 3.

Concourse G is used mostly for American Eagle flights
Concourse H and K are used for mainline flights
Concourse K gates 12-20 are typically used for international flights
Concourse L is used mostly for American Eagle flights (as well as non-oneworld carriers)

Terminal 5 is now both an international and domestic terminal. Among the international flights, the following oneworld carriers depart and arrive here: British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Etihad Airways, Finnair, Qatar Airways, and Royal Jordanian; arriving international American Airlines, Iberia and Japan Airlines flights all arrive here as well. In fact, all arriving international passengers from places without pre-clearance will arrive at Terminal 5.

Domestic carriers now using Terminal 5 are: Delta and Delta Shuttle, Frontier, Southwest, and Sun Country.

Getting from terminal to terminal
Landside transfers are normally done by using the Airport Transit System train, which also connects to the airport car parks. The ATS is currently out of service with substitute buses operating at present. April 18, 2022: ATS service has been fully restored and is operating 24/7 daily.

Terminals are connected by frequent landside buses, and AA T3 - International T5 are connected by an airside Terminal Transit Bus (TTB). If you have a boarding pass for your connection (or a printed itinerary of flight confirmation), you can use this bus, boarding at G17 or K20 and arriving airside at T5 Gate M1. The TTB runs 7 days a week, 1100 / 11 am to 2100 / 9 pm while the ATS is shut down, but seasonally and with shorter hours when it is. At other times you must exit landside and use the landside bus.

If you arrive at O'Hare on an international flight you will arrive at Terminal 5. If you have a connecting domestic flight from T1-2-3. You must use the landside bus to T3 after you process Immigration and exit Customs. You will be required to pass through security at T3. Landside busses are frequent.
May 1, 2022: Shuttle buses ended.

Airside:
walking corridors connect Terminals 1, 2 and 3 between terminals. (ATS landslide train must be used to connect to or from Terminal 5 outside of shuttle bus operating times.)

For those holding boarding passes on same day flights out of Terminal 5 (International Terminal), a shuttle bus will operate from T-3 (From Gates G17 and K20) to T-5 (Gate M13) between 11:30 am and 9:30 pm. [Still suspended as of 4/30/2022] March 1, 2023: Service restored. Connecting Traveler Information

Walking between terminals
Walking airside between terminals airside is possible (other than Terminal 5). There are no shortcuts and it can take significant time.

Arrival at the airport:
Within the U.S. as well as flights to Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, check in:
At least 30 minutes prior to departure (if not checking bags)
At least 45 minutes prior to departure when checking bags

For flights to international destinations check in:
At least two hours prior to departure to complete all necessary international requirements

Minimum time for checking in and arriving at the gate
To better ensure an on-time departure, our goal is to close the jetbridge door 10 minutes before departure time. This allows all customers to board and stow their belongings. (AA may release your seat if you show up at your gates less than 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure.)

To retain your pre-reserved seat on a confirmed flight, make sure to follow the minimum check in and gate arrival times.*

Time to baggage delivery:
minimum 20 minutes

Security at ORD
May 2016: security queues have been quite lengthy at times, requiring up to an hour to pass through security, even at PreCheck queues. Options include:

If you have Flagship Check-In privileges, they will place you at the head of the security queue next to that check-in area.

You may choose to process security at Terminal 2 and walk airside to the AA gates (UA is only slightly better than AA). If you have CLEAR, you might want to consider clearing security here.

The mid-terminal Pre-Check line tends to be better than the one at priority security.

Note: coming out from International Terminal Arrivals immigration and customs, you are landside and may find yourself with two options: leave the building land side, or take the escalators or lifts to the ATS train platform to proceed to the other terminals or remote parking lot. To access the other terminals, you will have to process through TSA security.

What is the domestic to domestic or to international Minimum Connection Time (MCT)?
The minimum connect time at ORD, domestic to domestic or international, is 0:40 minutes. Domestic to international is easy if your international flight departs the AA terminal, but domestic to International terminal is comfortably done in 2:00 (not the official MCT, 1:15), because of the lack of connectedness between terminals. International arrival at Terminal 5 with flight departing Terminal 3, Global Entry is likely to allow 2:00 or even less, but non-U.S. or Canadian passport holders with checked baggage might use 3:00 as a better guideline.

If I am making an international to international connection, what is the process?
There is no international transit process in nearly all airports in the USA (MIA has a baggage exception for international to international). Arriving internationally, unless you have been pre-cleared, you must proceed through U. S. immigration (there are kiosks and a fast channel for Global Entry approved passengers), recover your baggage from the baggage carousel and proceed through U. S. Customs. There is a "green line" shortcut for passengers traveling only with carry-on baggage (no checked luggage) which is called "1 Stop" and there are Global Entry kiosks and there have fairly recently been dedicated Global Entry customs lines added, which ORD lacked for a very long time. Global Entry kiosks are located both in the central part of the main immigration hall area, as well as in the hall next to the 1-Stop exit.

Upon exiting Customs there is a bag drop facility; drop your checked baggage, exit to the landside arrivals area. Proceed to the the AA terminal on the ATS train, to counters or kiosks to get boarding passes for your ongoing travel, then proceed through TSA security to airside.

Print Wikipost

AA Guide: ORD / Chicago O'Hare International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by cheltzel
It is separate, inside the regular Galleries lounge and not adjacent to the F lounge. I believe you have to have a BA F boarding pass.

As far as the gate location in T3 for the shuttle, check that thread I previously posted. All the details are in there.
Thanks, how about J dining in T5 Galleries, is it also sectioned off, or does it have hot food items accessible to all?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by nk15
Thanks, how about J dining in T5 Galleries, is it also sectioned off, or does it have hot food items accessible to all?
J dining is sectioned off. There are some food items accessible to all, but nothing substantial.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by wrp96
J dining is sectioned off. There are some food items accessible to all, but nothing substantial.
This is ridiculous, I don't know how they can have one standard at LHR and a different one at ORD, but this is BA for you...AA doesn't do that, they give access to hot food to OW elites at T3, but again, BA...

Last edited by nk15; Nov 3, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Old Nov 3, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
You're right about not getting pre-check on a BA boarding pass, but my plan is to go through Flagship check-in at T3 that dumps you right to the front of the TSA pre-check line, so hopefully they will wave me through with my Global entry ID... Where do you get the bus for T5 from T3, where is the boarding location, does anyone know?
I don't know what they do if you don't have Pre-Check on the BP. I went through in September on a BA boarding pass, having checked a bag at T5, and the regular line was following the Pre-Check protocol. Everyone was doing what they were told and it was marvelously quick. As the reference should tell you, the bus leaves from the outer end of the K concourse.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Earliest bag check

Anyone knows what is the earliest they would accept a checked bag for a 10pm flight to LHR? I might be at the airport by 1 or 2pm and would be great to use the lounge.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 3:06 am

Programs: Flying Blue Petroleum, BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by swingaling
If you have checked bags, then it's 100% not possible because they won't through check.

Without checked bags, it takes 10-15min to clear immigration and customs (with GE and assuming no delays). Then get to the tram and wait up to 5min for it to arrive, followed by a 5min tram ride to T3. Then get yourself to departures and go through security, which will take 10-15min (or more) even with Pre-Check. And finally walking/running to your gate, taking another 5-10min+ depending.

So at a minimum it will take 30-40min to get to the onward flight, but it could easily take 60-70min+. Ultimately your call, but I wouldn't attempt that connection.

FWIW, I just flew into T5 last week on AA flying J. It took me a solid 30-40min to get to T3 -- with GE, Pre-Check and no checked bags.
Thanks for this information. We are looking at flying LHR-ORD with BA on BA295 and connecting on to AA1192 ORD-MCO next year. This gives 1 hour and 40 minutes to get from T5-T3, assuming flight is on time obviously. Family of 4, no GE, flying on ESTA from the UK. No mobility issues. Would you say this is quite a risky connection? Next AA flight to MCO is an additional 3:45 so don't want to miss with 2 kids becoming tired and grumpy!
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ABZLocal
Thanks for this information. We are looking at flying LHR-ORD with BA on BA295 and connecting on to AA1192 ORD-MCO next year. This gives 1 hour and 40 minutes to get from T5-T3, assuming flight is on time obviously. Family of 4, no GE, flying on ESTA from the UK. No mobility issues. Would you say this is quite a risky connection? Next AA flight to MCO is an additional 3:45 so don't want to miss with 2 kids becoming tired and grumpy!
Is the AA flight on the same ticket as the BA flight? If so, I'd probably risk it. There are plenty of ways to get to MCO from ORD (and basically everywhere else). If you and spouse are OW Sapphire, you'll have access to the Flagship Lounge in the event of a missed connection.

I assume you're flying into ORD instead of MIA because the schedule and/or price is better? If it were me, I'd try to fly into CLT or MIA because they'll have better frequencies to MCO. And they are also less affected by weather and traffic than ORD.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: Flying Blue Petroleum, BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by swingaling
Is the AA flight on the same ticket as the BA flight? If so, I'd probably risk it. There are plenty of ways to get to MCO from ORD (and basically everywhere else). If you and spouse are OW Sapphire, you'll have access to the Flagship Lounge in the event of a missed connection.

I assume you're flying into ORD instead of MIA because the schedule and/or price is better? If it were me, I'd try to fly into CLT or MIA because they'll have better frequencies to MCO. And they are also less affected by weather and traffic than ORD.
​​​​​​Thanks for the reply. Yes this is on the same ticket. The real reason of doing it this way is my son is desperate to fly on the A380 which BA are operating next year.

we could get to MCO via JFK, PHL, CLT, MIA or DUB all around the same times but the A380 will keep them happy. Although there's maybe a higher risk due to tight connection and not as many AA flights.

Thanks again.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ABZLocal
​​​​​​Thanks for the reply. Yes this is on the same ticket. The real reason of doing it this way is my son is desperate to fly on the A380 which BA are operating next year.

we could get to MCO via JFK, PHL, CLT, MIA or DUB all around the same times but the A380 will keep them happy. Although there's maybe a higher risk due to tight connection and not as many AA flights.

Thanks again.
Ah, ok. That's understandable. I'm flying TPE-PNH via ICN next month specifically because TPE-ICN is on KE's A380 and I've yet to fly one.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Originally Posted by fatlasercat
Anyone knows what is the earliest they would accept a checked bag for a 10pm flight to LHR? I might be at the airport by 1 or 2pm and would be great to use the lounge.
Reporting back: I checked bags at 1pm for 10pm flights no problem using the kiosks.
legalalien likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: AA-EXP, Marriott(T)
AA Domestic to BA at ORD (76 Minutes- Standby Forbidden?)

I've read a bit about similar situations but am still looking for advice.

PIT>ORD 6:19pm to 7:19pm terminal 3 (Average delay about 10-15 minutes)
ORD>LHR on BA departs 8:35pm terminal 5 (Average delay over 20 minutes?)

This was booked for me over the phone by an Explat agent, only noticed past the 24 hour mark. It seems way too tight based on the thread.

2 Follow up questions:
1. AA says that same day standby is forbidden from PIT-ORD (Two earlier flights that day... easy solution), even for Explats. While I heard that on the phone, I didn't see a restriction in the terms of standby. Any advice?

2: If I miss the connection, do I go to BA for rebooking, or head back to AA? Purchased through AA Explat desk on the phone.

Thanks,
V
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by voweffekt

This was booked for me over the phone by an Explat agent, only noticed past the 24 hour mark. It seems way too tight based on the thread.

2 Follow up questions:
1. AA says that same day standby is forbidden from PIT-ORD (Two earlier flights that day... easy solution), even for Explats. While I heard that on the phone, I didn't see a restriction in the terms of standby. Any advice?

2: If I miss the connection, do I go to BA for rebooking, or head back to AA? Purchased through AA Explat desk on the phone.

Thanks,
V
While in theory standby as part of an int'l itinerary is not allowed, in practice you should have no problem getting on the list for an earlier PIT-ORD flight. I've never had a problem going standby for a domestic connecting leg of an int'l itinerary. At PIT, dont even mention your onward flight to LHR.

And if you arrive to ORD late, I would head straight to the Flagship Lounge to get rebooked.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold

2 Follow up questions:

Thanks,
V
If you can get on the earlier flight then I would do it, more because I would eat in the Flagship lounge to extend sleep time on the flight than for fear of missing the connection. As long as the T3 to T5 bus is still running the transfer will be quite quick as there is no need to go landside and, as it seems to be one ticket, you and any luggage will already be checked in so you just have to get to the gate 30 minutes ahead.
voweffekt likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Marriott(T)
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
While in theory standby as part of an int'l itinerary is not allowed, in practice you should have no problem getting on the list for an earlier PIT-ORD flight. I've never had a problem going standby for a domestic connecting leg of an int'l itinerary. At PIT, dont even mention your onward flight to LHR.

And if you arrive to ORD late, I would head straight to the Flagship Lounge to get rebooked.
Thanks for the great advice. So since I booked with AA they would have to re-book me if it goes south? I'm hopeful, and honestly should have paid better attention as I typically don't connect through ORD. It was only later I realized the time it took me previously because there was some issue with the bus and I had to take the long way round. Cheers!
Old Dec 21, 2017, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Thanks for the great advice. So since I booked with AA they would have to re-book me if it goes south?
It's not because you booked through AA, but because AA would be the responsible one getting you to ORD late so you'd miss your connection. Although when dealing with partner carriers like AA & BA, you can usually go to either to get rebooked.
voweffekt likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.