Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: ORD / Chicago O'Hare International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2015, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

At Chicago O’Hare (ORD), American Airlines operates out of Terminal 3

AA Ticket counters Open daily: 3:30am to 10:00pm
Flagship Check-in: Yes
Five Star Service: Yes
Curbside check-in: International only

Check-in times
In most locations, you must be checked in:
At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States
At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to or from airports outside of the United States

Peculiarities:
ORD can be affected by winter storms or very heavy air traffic; ground holds even at incoming flights' departures airports, are not uncommon at these times. Knock-on effects during lengthy IROPS can manifest themselves systemwide.

NOTE: AA has 66 gates at Terminal 3, and has added five more at Concourse. Alaska, Iberia, and Japan Airlines all depart AA T-3. Alaska has moved to Terminal 2. All international arrivals are at Terminal 5, many international departures as well. AB, BA, CX, EY, QR, RJ depart T-5.

International arrivals from Canada airports without USCBP pre-clearance are sometimes listed as arriving at "IAB" - International Arrivals Building. These aircraft's passengers will not arrive at T-3 as domestic passengers; by Federal law, they must be cleared by USCBP, and that facility is at T-5.

There is no airside connection T-3 <--> T-5; one must go landside and use the free "ATS" airport train. Flyers connecting to BA departing T-5 may use the airside shuttle bus departing near gates G17 and K20. Every half hour 11 am - 9 pm. Sign with orange dot. TTB SERVICE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED - TTB service takes travelers from the domestic terminals (1, 2, & 3) to Terminal 5 without having to exit security or be rescreened in Terminal 5 at the TSA​ checkpoint. [Still suspended as of 4/30/2022] Airside connection has been restored March 1, 2023 - SEE BELOW

Operating terminals and gates
Terminal 1 is used by All Nippon Airlines (Departures), Ethiopian (Departures), Lufthansa (Departures), and United.

Terminal 2 is used by Air Canada, Alaska, Delta, and previously US Airways, jetBlue, along with many United Express flights.

Terminal 3 is used by Alaska Airlines, American Airlines and for departures only by Iberia and Japan Airlines (exception: arriving international flights that have been USCBP cleared, e.g. originating in Canada or DUB, arrive at Terminal 3 as domestic flights). Other airlines flying domestically and not mentioned above are also handled in Terminal 3.

Concourse G is used mostly for American Eagle flights
Concourse H and K are used for mainline flights
Concourse K gates 12-20 are typically used for international flights
Concourse L is used mostly for American Eagle flights (as well as non-oneworld carriers)

Terminal 5 is now both an international and domestic terminal. Among the international flights, the following oneworld carriers depart and arrive here: British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Etihad Airways, Finnair, Qatar Airways, and Royal Jordanian; arriving international American Airlines, Iberia and Japan Airlines flights all arrive here as well. In fact, all arriving international passengers from places without pre-clearance will arrive at Terminal 5.

Domestic carriers now using Terminal 5 are: Delta and Delta Shuttle, Frontier, Southwest, and Sun Country.

Getting from terminal to terminal
Landside transfers are normally done by using the Airport Transit System train, which also connects to the airport car parks. The ATS is currently out of service with substitute buses operating at present. April 18, 2022: ATS service has been fully restored and is operating 24/7 daily.

Terminals are connected by frequent landside buses, and AA T3 - International T5 are connected by an airside Terminal Transit Bus (TTB). If you have a boarding pass for your connection (or a printed itinerary of flight confirmation), you can use this bus, boarding at G17 or K20 and arriving airside at T5 Gate M1. The TTB runs 7 days a week, 1100 / 11 am to 2100 / 9 pm while the ATS is shut down, but seasonally and with shorter hours when it is. At other times you must exit landside and use the landside bus.

If you arrive at O'Hare on an international flight you will arrive at Terminal 5. If you have a connecting domestic flight from T1-2-3. You must use the landside bus to T3 after you process Immigration and exit Customs. You will be required to pass through security at T3. Landside busses are frequent.
May 1, 2022: Shuttle buses ended.

Airside:
walking corridors connect Terminals 1, 2 and 3 between terminals. (ATS landslide train must be used to connect to or from Terminal 5 outside of shuttle bus operating times.)

For those holding boarding passes on same day flights out of Terminal 5 (International Terminal), a shuttle bus will operate from T-3 (From Gates G17 and K20) to T-5 (Gate M13) between 11:30 am and 9:30 pm. [Still suspended as of 4/30/2022] March 1, 2023: Service restored. Connecting Traveler Information

Walking between terminals
Walking airside between terminals airside is possible (other than Terminal 5). There are no shortcuts and it can take significant time.

Arrival at the airport:
Within the U.S. as well as flights to Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, check in:
At least 30 minutes prior to departure (if not checking bags)
At least 45 minutes prior to departure when checking bags

For flights to international destinations check in:
At least two hours prior to departure to complete all necessary international requirements

Minimum time for checking in and arriving at the gate
To better ensure an on-time departure, our goal is to close the jetbridge door 10 minutes before departure time. This allows all customers to board and stow their belongings. (AA may release your seat if you show up at your gates less than 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure.)

To retain your pre-reserved seat on a confirmed flight, make sure to follow the minimum check in and gate arrival times.*

Time to baggage delivery:
minimum 20 minutes

Security at ORD
May 2016: security queues have been quite lengthy at times, requiring up to an hour to pass through security, even at PreCheck queues. Options include:

If you have Flagship Check-In privileges, they will place you at the head of the security queue next to that check-in area.

You may choose to process security at Terminal 2 and walk airside to the AA gates (UA is only slightly better than AA). If you have CLEAR, you might want to consider clearing security here.

The mid-terminal Pre-Check line tends to be better than the one at priority security.

Note: coming out from International Terminal Arrivals immigration and customs, you are landside and may find yourself with two options: leave the building land side, or take the escalators or lifts to the ATS train platform to proceed to the other terminals or remote parking lot. To access the other terminals, you will have to process through TSA security.

What is the domestic to domestic or to international Minimum Connection Time (MCT)?
The minimum connect time at ORD, domestic to domestic or international, is 0:40 minutes. Domestic to international is easy if your international flight departs the AA terminal, but domestic to International terminal is comfortably done in 2:00 (not the official MCT, 1:15), because of the lack of connectedness between terminals. International arrival at Terminal 5 with flight departing Terminal 3, Global Entry is likely to allow 2:00 or even less, but non-U.S. or Canadian passport holders with checked baggage might use 3:00 as a better guideline.

If I am making an international to international connection, what is the process?
There is no international transit process in nearly all airports in the USA (MIA has a baggage exception for international to international). Arriving internationally, unless you have been pre-cleared, you must proceed through U. S. immigration (there are kiosks and a fast channel for Global Entry approved passengers), recover your baggage from the baggage carousel and proceed through U. S. Customs. There is a "green line" shortcut for passengers traveling only with carry-on baggage (no checked luggage) which is called "1 Stop" and there are Global Entry kiosks and there have fairly recently been dedicated Global Entry customs lines added, which ORD lacked for a very long time. Global Entry kiosks are located both in the central part of the main immigration hall area, as well as in the hall next to the 1-Stop exit.

Upon exiting Customs there is a bag drop facility; drop your checked baggage, exit to the landside arrivals area. Proceed to the the AA terminal on the ATS train, to counters or kiosks to get boarding passes for your ongoing travel, then proceed through TSA security to airside.

Print Wikipost

AA Guide: ORD / Chicago O'Hare International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Simon Schus
Hi all,

I'm in a pickle trying to working something out.

I've been trying to work out the MCT for an international-to-domestic connection (AirBerlin->American). The link in the wiki is for international-to-domestic connections on American->American, and it doesn't mention the MCTs for that use case.

Any ideas?

I'm more looking for the legal minimum connection time rather than the likelihood of success.

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Minimum Connect Times:
Connecting at ORD
Incoming airline AB
Outgoing airline AA
Flight type International to Domestic

"STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .50 1.15 1.30 1.30
OFFLINE .50 1.15 1.30 1.30
** OR * ARE ALL
AB-AA ID 1.25
**-AA ID SUP ALL - FLT 6100 - 9099
**-AA ID 1.25 EQP 75W - ALL TRM ** - 3
**-AA ID 1.25 EQP 752 - ALL TRM ** - 3
**-AA ID 1.25 EQP W - ALL TRM ** - 3
**-AA ID SUP CANADA - CANADA
**-AA ID 1.20 TRM ** - 3"
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:37 am

Wonderful! Thank you so much for providing that information for me, andox! I really appreciate it
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by andox
Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Minimum Connect Times:
Connecting at ORD
Incoming airline AB
Outgoing airline AA
Flight type International to Domestic

"STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .50 1.15 1.30 1.30
OFFLINE .50 1.15 1.30 1.30
** OR * ARE ALL
AB-AA ID 1.25
**-AA ID SUP ALL - FLT 6100 - 9099
**-AA ID 1.25 EQP 75W - ALL TRM ** - 3
**-AA ID 1.25 EQP 752 - ALL TRM ** - 3
**-AA ID 1.25 EQP W - ALL TRM ** - 3
**-AA ID SUP CANADA - CANADA
**-AA ID 1.20 TRM ** - 3"
Flying HEL-ORD-DFW on AY/AA on Friday.... 90 minutes connection, no checked bags... hopefully it'll be fine!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:50 pm

how many minutes does it take to walk from AA's bag claim area to O'Hare Bus/Shuttle

how many minutes does it take to walk from AA's bag claim area to O'Hare Bus/Shuttle Center?

Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:57 pm

Five minutes walking quickly, ten minutes tops. The difficult part is locating where at the Shuttle Center your bus/van will pull in, to load.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
As above, five minutes. 10 minutes if you take the tunnel.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:35 pm

And I recommend NOT taking the tunnel. Just exit the terminal to curb-side, turn left and walk all the way to the end of the terminal, (T3). The Hilton Hotel will be across the street, and the Shuttle Center is across from the Hilton, on its access road.

If you're looking at the Hilton, you really can't miss the Shuttle loading zone. There are always a half dozen vans and mini-buses pulling in and out.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by oneworld82
Flying HEL-ORD-DFW on AY/AA on Friday.... 90 minutes connection, no checked bags... hopefully it'll be fine!
I have this exact route later on this year
Can you please let us know how it went, particularly with respect to customs/immigration and connection?/ thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by oaken
I have this exact route later on this year
Can you please let us know how it went, particularly with respect to customs/immigration and connection?/ thanks!
I had that route before (1:40 to connect). With no checked bags, it would have been a breeze. I had to wait quite a bit for my priority tagged bags to arrive, after several rounds of regular ones hit the belt.

Immigration was fine, given the long pole was waiting for the bags. The custom's line was quick at that time of night, and made it to the other terminal, and back through security using the alternate priority / pre-check checkpoint.

All told, I arrived at T-25 for a delayed flight even with the luggage difficulties.

I originally had more time scheduled, though this was what I ended up with after an AA schedule change, and being the last flight out of the night.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Connecting with AA/AA at ORD (LHR-ORD-SDF) with luggage. Am I correct in thinking the bags are collected and dropped off again at the Intl Terminal and so when we make our way to T3 for the connection we don't have to carry our baggage with us?

Also, is there anywhere nice to eat between the two terminals (such as the Hilton) or are the dining offerings in T3 sufficient? We will be there between 11:30am and 3:30pm and I would ideally like to do something to entertain four 12 year olds rather than just sitting in an airport terminal after the long haul flight.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:17 am

I cannot recommend eating at the Hilton, although if you're just looking for someplace away from the hustle-bustle of the terminal, it would probably work for you. Obviously you'd be outside security, so you'd have to factor in the time getting through TSA.

In AA's Terminal 3, I recommend in this order:
1) Publican Tavern
2) Tortas Fronteras
3) La Tapenade

None are really quiet or comfortable spots, but the Publican offers the best place to sit down for a while, as well as the best food.

Note that all 3 domestic terminals are connected air-side. That means you could avail yourself of other decent options in Terminals 1 and 2.
O'hare dining options

The Berghoff in Terminal 1 would be a good place to sit with kids, although it's a hike. And all 12-year olds, (and adults!), will enjoy Garrett's popcorn.

Yes, immediately after exiting Customs in Terminal 5, there's an AA transfer desk where you can re-check your bags.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Alfonso XIV
I cannot recommend eating at the Hilton, although if you're just looking for someplace away from the hustle-bustle of the terminal, it would probably work for you. Obviously you'd be outside security, so you'd have to factor in the time getting through TSA.

In AA's Terminal 3, I recommend in this order:
1) Publican Tavern
2) Tortas Fronteras
3) La Tapenade

None are really quiet or comfortable spots, but the Publican offers the best place to sit down for a while, as well as the best food.

Note that all 3 domestic terminals are connected air-side. That means you could avail yourself of other decent options in Terminals 1 and 2.
O'hare dining options

The Berghoff in Terminal 1 would be a good place to sit with kids, although it's a hike. And all 12-year olds, (and adults!), will enjoy Garrett's popcorn.

Yes, immediately after exiting Customs in Terminal 5, there's an AA transfer desk where you can re-check your bags.
Thanks so much for your detailed reply, it is much appreciated! I'll check out those recommendations!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Alfonso XIV
Note that your bags should already be checked through so they just go on a belt. You may have to put them on yourself or the staff may do it for you.

The Hilton dining is the best (only) thing land side but, as people have pointed out, there are good options air side although they are quite busy at meal times.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Hello AA forum. My mother-in-law (72, very able-bodied for her age, but still, 72 and not a frequent traveler) is coming home from Europe today. Her BA flight from LHR (BA297) is showing delayed about a half hour. Through a series of schedule changes, her 2hr layover in CLT became a 1h40 minute connection at ORD.

I'm a Delta flyer, so my experience at ORD is mostly from long ago when I was an AA flyer, and never international.

With a 30-minute delay, she's now looking at 1h10 to clear customs/immigration, drop bags and make her way from T5 to T3 and then clear security. She has no GE and won't know how to do mobile passport (if CBP even offers that at ORD, like I said, Delta flyer). Does she have a prayer of making this? She's on the last flight of the day to MCI, so if she's going to miss it, it would be good for her to not have to run to T3 — is there anyone at T5 who can help her?

I'd appreciate any insights you all can offer that I can pass on to her. Thanks.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
With a 30-minute delay, she's now looking at 1h10 to clear customs/immigration, drop bags and make her way from T5 to T3 and then clear security. She has no GE and won't know how to do mobile passport (if CBP even offers that at ORD, like I said, Delta flyer). Does she have a prayer of making this? She's on the last flight of the day to MCI, so if she's going to miss it, it would be good for her to not have to run to T3 — is there anyone at T5 who can help her?

I'd appreciate any insights you all can offer that I can pass on to her. Thanks.
BA should be handing out cards to expedite her passage and she should make sure that staff see the card if she gets one. CBP do have electronic passport machines at ORD which speed things up quite a bit if she can use one. Even so it will be a long shot. There are AA staff at the bag drop.

I'm not sure where the boundary for duty of care is but BA may be responsible for looking after her. Otherwise perhaps you could be on call to find her a hotel if it comes to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.