Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Discussion: AA Catering still Disgusting (separate from description / menu threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion: AA Catering still Disgusting (separate from description / menu threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Do you run a business? As an owner, what's more important to you, -- being elite/great or being profitable? Anyone?
Why couldn't USdbaAA have been both, right off the bat? Why ruin the good thing that pmAA had going, just for the thrill of seeing if Dougie could get away with it? Ridiculous.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
So if you ran a business, would you spend, say, twice as much as you had to on certain expenses if the expenditure didn't change your revenue? AA management has a legal obligation to the owners of the airline.
You better if not doing so is going to seriously hit your high margin revenue.

I mean come on, you can make a mirror pithy statement go the other way: if you ran a business, would you cut half the spend on some expense if those cuts were going to seriously impact your high margin revenue? Do you suppose management is not obligated to make sure they don't lose their best customers?

It's harder than that, I am sure you know it. Non finance types exist in leadership roles precisely to figure out which end is your backside and which is your elbow when it ain't plainly obvious. Otherwise all we'd have are CFOs and decision algorithms and we'd save a boatload of aggravation and compensation money

They messed up, or we wouldn't be seeing what we're seeing now. I agree with JonNYC, this is it: if the change is not enough, they're gonna lose on the big money spenders, that better be clear to them now. This means not just putting a teaspoon of lobster on mac'n'cheese, it means addressing the pathetic cheapening of the whole experience, since that's not what you're getting on the competitors. It's gonna be interesting, that's for sure.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Why couldn't USdbaAA have been both, right off the bat? Why ruin the good thing that pmAA had going, just for the thrill of seeing if Dougie could get away with it? Ridiculous.
From my view, the only people DP is trying to satisfy are the investors. I'm sure he has a bonus structure dependent upon this happening and customers be damned. The only decision we get to make is where we want to spend our dollars. As long as there are alternatives, we have choices.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
So if you ran a business, would you spend, say, twice as much as you had to on certain expenses if the expenditure didn't change your revenue?
Who says it isn't going to change the revenue? Yes, I would spend more to offer my customers a quality product which they could rely on, so that in the future they will want to continue to do business with me. If I sold crap to people which did not live up to their expectations, I would be out of business quickly. Of course, I also don't have the US Government in my back pocket.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Austin787
"vomit competitor" does not apply to UA. UA upgraded its domestic F meals, and added F meals to more flights.
The term "enhanced" or "upgraded" is often mocked at the UA forum. Even after the so-called enhanced catering, there are tons of complaints on the same UA forum, so I will stick with AA.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I think the most ironic thing about this "food" event in DFW is that those tacky paper tray liners are not present....but guess what is? Blue/Navy linens covering the tray. Do they think the paper liners are too cheap looking for a press conference but fine enough for actual passenger presentation?

Last edited by AANYC1981; Jun 23, 2015 at 1:09 pm
Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I think the most ironic thing about this "food" event in DFW is that those tacking paper tray liners are not present....but guess what is? Blue/Navy linens covering the tray. Do they think the linens are too cheap looking for a press conference but fine enough for actual passenger presentation?
The linens will be used on the plane, too.

At the event an AA rep acknowledged that there have been problems with getting FA's to re-adapt to placing linens. I believe they mentioned linens will start being preset by the caterers.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by MAH4546

At the event an AA rep acknowledged that there have been problems with getting FA's to re-adapt to placing linens. I believe they mentioned linens will start being preset by the caterers.
Nice to hear.....my paper tray liner today was so crumpled up that a portion of my meal was sitting on the bare tray. Tried straightening it out but the folds were too strong/indented.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
You better if not doing so is going to seriously hit your high margin revenue.

I mean come on, you can make a mirror pithy statement go the other way: if you ran a business, would you cut half the spend on some expense if those cuts were going to seriously impact your high margin revenue? Do you suppose management is not obligated to make sure they don't lose their best customers?

It's harder than that, I am sure you know it. Non finance types exist in leadership roles precisely to figure out which end is your backside and which is your elbow when it ain't plainly obvious. Otherwise all we'd have are CFOs and decision algorithms and we'd save a boatload of aggravation and compensation money

They messed up, or we wouldn't be seeing what we're seeing now. I agree with JonNYC, this is it: if the change is not enough, they're gonna lose on the big money spenders, that better be clear to them now. This means not just putting a teaspoon of lobster on mac'n'cheese, it means addressing the pathetic cheapening of the whole experience, since that's not what you're getting on the competitors. It's gonna be interesting, that's for sure.
Thank you for a well thought out comment. Yes, of course what you say is true. But everyone seems to be overlooking other motivators to get people to buy AA.

For me the calculus is easy. This year I'm commuting more or less monthly BKK/BOS. I route through ICN both ways to take advantage of the low fares (~USD $3,100 roundtrip in paid F). So between the low fares and the absurdly rich AAdvantage bonus opportunities during 2015, flying AA is a no brainer for me. I can buy food in the terminal, or ask the hotel to package a meal or two for my flights. In fact, that's exactly what I do.

But let's not forget that AA has numerous ways to motivate people, -- it's not just food.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But let's not forget that AA has numerous ways to motivate people, -- it's not just food.
Fair enough. Schedule and price held constant (which often they relatively are between competitors) I will choose the airline which offers me the best overall product at the best price. Personally I've come to stop caring about miles or elite status at this point. It's too tempting to fly a variety of the far superior foreign airlines on intercontinental travel rather than put up with the AAncient aircraft, surly crews, prison food, and overall AApathy demonstrated by AA these days.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: US,HH
Originally Posted by cmd320
Fair enough. It's too tempting to fly a variety of the far superior foreign airlines on intercontinental travel rather than put up with the AAncient aircraft, surly crews, prison food, and overall AApathy demonstrated by AA these days.
All of these things existed before and directly after the merger when I flew them in F. Other than some degradation of food, which wasn't all that great to begin with, AA is running BAU.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kellio33
All of these things existed before and directly after the merger when I flew them in F. Other than some degradation of food, which wasn't all that great to begin with, AA is running BAU.
I completely disagree. Anyone who spent a significant amount of time with AA prior to its merger could easily tell that food, customer service, seat comfort, employee attentiveness, flight schedules, PDB services, IRROPs handling, upgrade processing, elite phone lines, etc. have all taken a discernible hit lately. The first three being the most major IMO.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by MAH4546

This is also great to hear. I have yet to see them ever placed by a pmUS crew, likely for this reason. I had been wondering if they addressed this and it looks like they have.

The other good news that I see is that the generic "beef" dishes, which are actually short rib, will be going away.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
I see folks comparing AA F cuisine to UA and DL. Didn't UA and DL change their FF plan to be revenue-based? Could that have made their F more profitable?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
The silver lining to the pathetic disgusting catering that is now the norm at AA (along with smaller portions) is that I often skip the "meal" altogether now or if I do nibble on a few items its often a much smaller portion. Lately I have been feeling much better when I get off the plane.
Same here. I've been losing weight, and I attribute it to the crappy dog food that's been served since Sept 1.

"Mystery meat in congealed sauce?" I'll pass.

"Warmed on board cookie?" Uhh, no thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.