Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Dreamliner 787-8 / 788 Zodiac Business Seats & Reviews (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2016, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Boeing 787-8 (788) Zodiac Concept D Business Suite Business Class Seats Selection Guide & Reviews

There were 20 787-8 Dreamliners at the end of 2018, now gradually expanding to 42 total 788s in the AA fleet.

This thread is dedicated to discussion of the Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner with Zodiac Concept D Business Suite Business class seating and service

For the 787-9, see Boeing 787-9 / 789: Business (Rockwell Collins (née B/E) Super Diamond Seat, Service (master thd)

The 787-8 offers 20 modified Zodiac "Concept D" Business Suite all aisle access "podded" seats in 1-2-1 with back to back seating in the center pairs, and alternating front and rear facing window seats. They are said to be 21-26" wide, and have 60-61" pitch upright in pods with full aisle access and 77" in the horizontal "bed" position. True AVOD offering up to 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games, is offered via cabled handset controllers to large flat touch screens. Power offered is 110 VAC via universal plugs and 5 VDC USB. Bose QuietComfort headsets with noise reduction are provided (picked up about one hour prior to arrival). Ku-Band satellite WiFi is offered for sale.

The Dreamliner "big sister" model (22 787-9, first in service September 2016, has Collins (née B/E Aerospace) Super Diamond Solo seats that largely avoid the Zodiac problems, is the "big sister"). The second batch of 787-8s (787T) differ from the first batch and are fitted with Collins Super Diamond seats.

Zodiac "Concept D Business Suite" seats connected "at the head" are affected by movement from the seat they are connected to, often referred to on FT as "motion over the ocean". The Business seats that are unconnected and stable in 787-8 J are 1D&H, 5A&L.

Remedial seat stability fix announced 9 Oct 2016 by John Walton, Runway Girl Network (link)

"Jay Mapston, American’s manager of onboard products, cabin design, spoke to Runway Girl Network with praiseworthy candor about the airline’s current situation and plans. To start, Mapston explains the 787-8 fleet’s (Zodiac) Concept D (Business Suite) will see remedial stability work to fix the much-discussed issue where the seats shake when an adjoining passenger moves."

As of July 2019, no such fix has been put in place. The seat modification has to be designed, submitted to the FAA for certification (STC) and approved, the parts manufactured and seats modified. Normally, the seat manufacturer would do this, but as AA terminated the Zodiac contract for failure to perform. It’s anyone’s guess when and if a fix is forthcoming.

AA canceled the contract with Zodiac for inability to comply with scheduled delivery times, causing seatless Dreamliners to sit out availability idled in the desert and causing considerable delay for the 777-200ER refurbishment. The seats were NOT used for the 787-9 nor more than half the 47 aircraft 772 fleet, and it is likely the newly ordered 788s will be equipped with Super Diamond Seats.
Due to the modifications AA required of Zodiac for these seats, there are some peculiarities reported:
  • Many seats are interlaced with others - passenger in one moves, the linked seat moves. "Motion over the ocean" is induced by the partner seat attached at the head,
  • Forward facing seats may have more restricted shoulder room / width when flat than aft facing
  • Middle seat privacy dividers were balky and continually slipped into the retracted position, so they were "fixed" in place so they are not passenger operable. Apparently crew fixes them in several configurations: all up, making them great for privacy but nearly impossible for couples wanting to share conversation; all down, making for lower privacy; facing forward up, facing aft down. Some aircraft have them repaired and passenger operable, some not.
  • Rows 1 and 2 center seats have no overhead bins; they were displaced by the crew rest area in the fore fuselage crown.
  • 1A and L are close to lav and galley.
  • Many prefer seats 5A or L as they are unaffected by other seats / passenger movement in seats.
  • 5A and 5L have one window, rather than two.

Link to photos taken by SFO777 here, from his trip on AA2320 DFW-ORD 07:10 - 09:36 Inaugural flight, shared with 68 FlyerTalkers.
Print Wikipost

Dreamliner 787-8 / 788 Zodiac Business Seats & Reviews (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2019, 12:30 am
Suspended

75 on Wednesday, wind permitting. Fingers crossed.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Flying to VCE and back from FCO in J. Are there any recommendations on the 788 vs. the A330? Never flown on either, but definitely coming back on the A330. Flying as a couple, middle seats are fine, would definitely like to get some sleep.

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 4, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by iplaybass
Flying to VCE and back from FCO in J. Are there any recommendations on the 788 vs. the A330? Never flown on either, but definitely coming back on the A330. Flying as a couple, middle seats are fine, would definitely like to get some sleep.

Thanks in advance!
787 will have a much newer hard product in business along with the usual 787 features such as better cabin pressurization and larger windows. They both offer fully lie flat seats, all aisle access in a 1-2-1 config, so sleep-ability is basically the same on either.

If you're flying back on the 330, then I would definitely give the 787 a try on the way over.
iplaybass likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards
I'm flying on 787 from PEK to LAX in January, originally picked 5A. But this week found out I was kicked out of the seat and reassigned to 4A without AA notifying me. Is the motion from connecting seats still very much bothering nowadays?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by iplaybass

Thanks in advance!
I make this trip often only the opposite way - into FCO and out of VCE. Frankly, I’ve done both 787 and a330 and I prefer the A330 because of the seat rocking problem of the 787. The other issue I try to avoid is entering the US on return, going through customs and immigration at ORD, much easier and quicker (even with Global Entry) out of PHL. The lounges are better at ORD. On a first trip, I’d go 787 to VCE from ORD and return on an A330 out of FCO through PHL. Try to get non rocking seats in the 787. This way you can decide for any future travel which plane and routing you prefer. Enjoy your trip!
iplaybass likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lovemc
I'm flying on 787 from PEK to LAX in January, originally picked 5A. But this week found out I was kicked out of the seat and reassigned to 4A without AA notifying me. Is the motion from connecting seats still very much bothering nowadays?
It is still an issue as far as I know/have experienced. It’s frustrating to me that AA continues to ignore the problem. 5A and L, as well as 1D and H are the only seats that are not connected.
lovemc likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyInORD
It is still an issue as far as I know/have experienced. It’s frustrating to me that AA continues to ignore the problem. 5A and L, as well as 1D and H are the only seats that are not connected.
Right! I rarely fly AA and was actually thinking of doing a status challenge given that I'll be flying a round-trip business with them this time... first turnoff is the motion issue that so many people have constantly pointed out, and then the seat reassignment issue (after digging some threads, got to realize this type of things happen, but still upset me that they don't send instant notifications).
Old Dec 4, 2019, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Right! I rarely fly AA and was actually thinking of doing a status challenge given that I'll be flying a round-trip business with them this time... first turnoff is the motion issue that so many people have constantly pointed out, and then the seat reassignment issue (after digging some threads, got to realize this type of things happen, but still upset me that they don't send instant notifications).
When is your LAX-PEK flight(s)?

LAX-PEK switches from a 788 to 789 in January, so you most likely had an equipment change, AA doesn't just change people's seats around for fun. I would double check your reservation to see if you're still on a 788 or 789.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JJeffrey

LAX-PEK switches from a 788 to 789 in January, so you most likely had an equipment change, AA doesn't just change people's seats around for fun. I would double check your reservation to see if you're still on a 788 or 789.
just flew 91/75 and 74/90 3 were 788’s. No problem. Although the 789 seats do not have wobble I do not like the table hemming in your legs though the table size is better than 788. Just seen United are buying a whole load of A321XLR narrow bodies for East Coast to Europe. Glad I moved to American. If only they could overcome the maintenance delays tied into the Union issue at O’Hare all would be good. Nice to fly on new planes. Flew a BA 772 last week which I think the Wright Brothers flew...
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey

Well my flight is Jan 1, and the website still shows it's a 788 so far.. but thanks for pointing out they're switching the planes.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:19 pm

AA151 J seats

Hi. Hopefully this is the correct forum to post on. I will be flying AA151 from CDG-ORD on AA's 787-800 in J. I'm looking at the seat map and I'm unsure which ones are the "couple seats". I'm traveling with my wife and a lap infant, so I want to make sure we can see each other during flight. i can't tell if I should be selecting the rear facing seats or the front facing seats. Currently we are in row 3D and 3H
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by emofeng
Hi. Hopefully this is the correct forum to post on. I will be flying AA151 from CDG-ORD on AA's 787-800 in J. I'm looking at the seat map and I'm unsure which ones are the "couple seats". I'm traveling with my wife and a lap infant, so I want to make sure we can see each other during flight. i can't tell if I should be selecting the rear facing seats or the front facing seats. Currently we are in row 3D and 3H
We’ve merged your post into the 787-8 (it’s not “787-800”) Business class thread. Please read the Wikipost at the top of the thread and post #1 . Have a good trip.

Antarius and emofeng like this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by emofeng
Those are the good ones. You'll be able to talk to each other, vs row 2 or 4 where you're feet are close but separated by the row 3 people's heads.

Also pedantic, but it is a 787-8, not 800

Have a good trip!
emofeng likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
Those are the good ones. You'll be able to talk to each other, vs row 2 or 4 where you're feet are close but separated by the row 3 people's heads.

Also pedantic, but it is a 787-8, not 800

Have a good trip!
Thank you so much for clearing it up. And yes 787-8!
Old Jan 11, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: LH, BA, AA
How many lavatories are in the business class section, is it 1 or 2?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.