Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Dreamliner 787-8 / 788 Zodiac Business Seats & Reviews (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2016, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Boeing 787-8 (788) Zodiac Concept D Business Suite Business Class Seats Selection Guide & Reviews

There were 20 787-8 Dreamliners at the end of 2018, now gradually expanding to 42 total 788s in the AA fleet.

This thread is dedicated to discussion of the Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner with Zodiac Concept D Business Suite Business class seating and service

For the 787-9, see Boeing 787-9 / 789: Business (Rockwell Collins (née B/E) Super Diamond Seat, Service (master thd)

The 787-8 offers 20 modified Zodiac "Concept D" Business Suite all aisle access "podded" seats in 1-2-1 with back to back seating in the center pairs, and alternating front and rear facing window seats. They are said to be 21-26" wide, and have 60-61" pitch upright in pods with full aisle access and 77" in the horizontal "bed" position. True AVOD offering up to 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games, is offered via cabled handset controllers to large flat touch screens. Power offered is 110 VAC via universal plugs and 5 VDC USB. Bose QuietComfort headsets with noise reduction are provided (picked up about one hour prior to arrival). Ku-Band satellite WiFi is offered for sale.

The Dreamliner "big sister" model (22 787-9, first in service September 2016, has Collins (née B/E Aerospace) Super Diamond Solo seats that largely avoid the Zodiac problems, is the "big sister"). The second batch of 787-8s (787T) differ from the first batch and are fitted with Collins Super Diamond seats.

Zodiac "Concept D Business Suite" seats connected "at the head" are affected by movement from the seat they are connected to, often referred to on FT as "motion over the ocean". The Business seats that are unconnected and stable in 787-8 J are 1D&H, 5A&L.

Remedial seat stability fix announced 9 Oct 2016 by John Walton, Runway Girl Network (link)

"Jay Mapston, American’s manager of onboard products, cabin design, spoke to Runway Girl Network with praiseworthy candor about the airline’s current situation and plans. To start, Mapston explains the 787-8 fleet’s (Zodiac) Concept D (Business Suite) will see remedial stability work to fix the much-discussed issue where the seats shake when an adjoining passenger moves."

As of July 2019, no such fix has been put in place. The seat modification has to be designed, submitted to the FAA for certification (STC) and approved, the parts manufactured and seats modified. Normally, the seat manufacturer would do this, but as AA terminated the Zodiac contract for failure to perform. It’s anyone’s guess when and if a fix is forthcoming.

AA canceled the contract with Zodiac for inability to comply with scheduled delivery times, causing seatless Dreamliners to sit out availability idled in the desert and causing considerable delay for the 777-200ER refurbishment. The seats were NOT used for the 787-9 nor more than half the 47 aircraft 772 fleet, and it is likely the newly ordered 788s will be equipped with Super Diamond Seats.
Due to the modifications AA required of Zodiac for these seats, there are some peculiarities reported:
  • Many seats are interlaced with others - passenger in one moves, the linked seat moves. "Motion over the ocean" is induced by the partner seat attached at the head,
  • Forward facing seats may have more restricted shoulder room / width when flat than aft facing
  • Middle seat privacy dividers were balky and continually slipped into the retracted position, so they were "fixed" in place so they are not passenger operable. Apparently crew fixes them in several configurations: all up, making them great for privacy but nearly impossible for couples wanting to share conversation; all down, making for lower privacy; facing forward up, facing aft down. Some aircraft have them repaired and passenger operable, some not.
  • Rows 1 and 2 center seats have no overhead bins; they were displaced by the crew rest area in the fore fuselage crown.
  • 1A and L are close to lav and galley.
  • Many prefer seats 5A or L as they are unaffected by other seats / passenger movement in seats.
  • 5A and 5L have one window, rather than two.

Link to photos taken by SFO777 here, from his trip on AA2320 DFW-ORD 07:10 - 09:36 Inaugural flight, shared with 68 FlyerTalkers.
Print Wikipost

Dreamliner 787-8 / 788 Zodiac Business Seats & Reviews (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by jacisme
Hi all - I just booked AA1294 DFW-ORD on 1/21 for me and wife. I keep reading back and forth that the dividers are locked up, locked down, and that rear facing and front facing have two people sitting closest to each other. Can someone help me understand what I can expect on this flight, and which seats to snag? I’ve currently got 6D and 6H but 5D and 5H are also available. Will 5 or 6 allow my wife and I to have the divider down and be in the right angle to be closest to each other? She doesn’t like to fly and does like me, so first class closeness is a plus when I can make it happen!

Thanks in advance!
I recommend grabbing 1D and 1H. It's very quiet in the front of this bird, and your wife's seat won't "move around", because it's not connected to another seat.

Even if the divider between the two of you is locked in the up position, you'll have a quiet and peaceful flight into Chicago.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by jcatman
I recommend grabbing 1D and 1H. It's very quiet in the front of this bird, and your wife's seat won't "move around", because it's not connected to another seat.

Even if the divider between the two of you is locked in the up position, you'll have a quiet and peaceful flight into Chicago.
also keep in mind if you are seated in row 6 and 7 there is a chance of equipment change to 788 with premium economy and you will be reseated somewhere else or if biz is full you will end up in Y
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:09 pm

Thank you all for the quick replies. Some follow ups:

Literally my my only two middle seat options available for selection are row 6 and row 7. So row 1 is not viable although it sounds great!

I’m not concerned with the seat movement since it’s only a 2.5 hr flight. We’d rather be physically as close as possible

The photo below is from seatguru. I think it’s rows 6 and 7 and shot looking towards the front of the plane. The area I circled is the ideal angle for us because it has our heads closer and our feet angled away. Do you guys agree that this is row 7 and do you know if that partition is locked up?

Thanks again! Really impressed with the response times and knowledge here!

Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:28 pm

Thank you all for the quick replies. Some follow ups:

Literally my my only two middle seat options available for selection are row 6 and row 7. So row 1 is not viable although it sounds great!

I’m not concerned with the seat movement since it’s only a 2.5 hr flight. We’d rather be physically as close as possible

The photo below is from seatguru. I think it’s rows 6 and 7 and shot looking towards the front of the plane. The area I circled is the ideal angle for us because it has our heads closer and our feet angled away. Do you guys agree that this is row 7 and do you know if that partition is locked up?

Thanks again! Really impressed with the response times and knowledge here!

AA1294, on January 21, DFW to ORD, 5D and 5H show open on AA website....
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:43 pm

Sorry my typo (thanks for taking the time to research, apologies for wasting it for a minute). Yes I’ve got row 6 right now and row 5 is available, not row 7. Is row 5 like what I circled in the picture? If so, does anyone know about that divider?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:47 pm

Lucky wrote on a post previously:

For the rear facing center seats, the partition between seats is permanently raised (meaning it’s not good when traveling with someone), while for the forward facing center seats, the partition is permanently lowered (meaning it’s good when traveling with someone)

https://onemileatatime.com/best-amer...lass-seat-787/

if rear facing are the ones closest together and also permanently locked up it means I can’t have both things I want.... Anyone know if this is still accurate?

Last edited by jacisme; Jan 17, 2019 at 9:49 am Reason: correx typo
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:59 pm

Sorry my typo (thanks for taking the time to research, apologies for wasting it for a minute). Yes I’ve got row 6 right now and row 5 is available, not row 7. Is row 5 like what I circled in the picture? If so, does anyone know about that divider?
Look at the picture you posted. If it truly is the mini-cabin on the 788, the dividers are UP for row 6 and row7.

I don't know that you are going to get anyone to provide you the 100% guarantee as to what you'll find once you get on the plane. It's a crAApshoot.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Lucky wrote on a post previously:

For the rear facing center seats, the partition between seats is permanently raised (meaning it’s not good when traveling with someone), while for the forward facing center seats, the partition is permanently lowered (meaning it’s good when traveling with someone)

https://onemileatatime.com/best-amer...lass-seat-787/

if thats permanently true true it means I can’t have both things I want.... Anyone know if this is still accurate?

I've yet to run into a 788 with sliders locked in the up position (sample size of > 10, both domestic and TATL). I believe that was an issue when they first installed the seats that has been resolved (unlike, unfortunately, the "motion over the ocean" issue).

One note about Row 5: I've found the rear-facing seats to be slightly shorter in that row than in other rear-facing rows. Also, the galley can be *loud*. Not an issue on DFW-ORD, but definitely something to consider on any long flight where you are expecting to get sleep (e.g. ORD-LHR).
econometrics likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:54 pm

Appreciate the info greatly, thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I have my 788 service LAX-PEK coming up ever so closer now on March 6. I moved out of the mini-cabin on advice from people in this thread, but it’s still showing the 7 rowed J cabin with the mini-cabin.

Is there any chance by March 4th they will not have changed the planes seats by then? If so I’d rather go back to the mini J cabin in 6A.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by dantheflyingman
I've yet to run into a 788 with sliders locked in the up position (sample size of > 10, both domestic and TATL). I believe that was an issue when they first installed the seats that has been resolved (unlike, unfortunately, the "motion over the ocean" issue).

One note about Row 5: I've found the rear-facing seats to be slightly shorter in that row than in other rear-facing rows. Also, the galley can be *loud*. Not an issue on DFW-ORD, but definitely something to consider on any long flight where you are expecting to get sleep (e.g. ORD-LHR).
Thank god they figure the wall thing out. God forbid they actually have people test the cabin and seats before launching them???

Back in early 2016 I did a HND-LAX with a co-worker and we sat in the middle of row 6 in the mini J cabin on the 788. The wall was locked into the up place for the entire flight, and despite the FAs best efforts to move it down, they were unable to do so. My co-worker and I had to yell if we wanted to talk the entire flight.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
I have my 788 service LAX-PEK coming up ever so closer now on March 6. I moved out of the mini-cabin on advice from people in this thread, but it’s still showing the 7 rowed J cabin with the mini-cabin.

Is there any chance by March 4th they will not have changed the planes seats by then? If so I’d rather go back to the mini J cabin in 6A.

There is a chance, but it’s getting smaller and smaller. They have started updating more 788’s now, and in that time frame I wouldn’t risk it personally.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by NWplatinum

There's one 788 flying with PE - N800AN, and 2 more getting refit right now. By March 4, there should be at least 2-3 more 788s "in the shop" at PAE getting refit as well. That would mean around 25% of the 788's have PE or are in process.

So I think it's wise for anyone with a 788 flight at this point to get out of the minicabin and secure your desired seat in the 20J cabin forward door 2L.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by econometrics
There's one 788 flying with PE - N800AN, and 2 more getting refit right now. By March 4, there should be at least 2-3 more 788s "in the shop" at PAE getting refit as well. That would mean around 25% of the 788's have PE or are in process.

So I think it's wise for anyone with a 788 flight at this point to get out of the minicabin and secure your desired seat in the 20J cabin forward door 2L.
Yea, just booked PHX-ORD on this plane and got the last seat forward of 2L, 1D. All other seats were in the mini-cabin and I am not going through another downgrade experience with AA.
TravelLawyer and econometrics like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:23 pm

I'm booked for ORD-PHX, but in the mini-cabin. I paid cash, no upgrades/stickers/vouchers etc. What would happen if there were a change of aircraft? I would assume I'd have to be downgraded and would in-turn be fairly compensated? Hopefully it doesn't come to that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.