Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2015 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of. This Wiki covers both AA and US flights, but as of September 2014, AA and US offers identical meal service domestically, so that part of the merger has its' harmonization completed.

Basically, in its' best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Last updated: 7/26/2015 2:33pm, MrAndy1369
Print Wikipost

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
BTW, would love to see your data that the Pre-Order has barely had a pulse, and is unreliable?
It really has been unreliable. For a while, eastbound midcon flights were only showing one choice, and generally there has been missing choices on flights throughout the system. I believe somewhere pre-9/1 was when the unreliability began. Prior to that, the system worked surprisingly well.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
It really has been unreliable. For a while, eastbound midcon flights were only showing one choice, and generally there has been missing choices on flights throughout the system. I believe somewhere pre-9/1 was when the unreliability began. Prior to that, the system worked surprisingly well.
Indeed. Premium transcons often only show two options rather than three. Intercons often have 1-3 options missing. Even standard domestic flights often have the wrong menus listed in pre-order with something completely different loaded onboard the aircraft. It's really too bad the system cannot be relied on. It was a great idea, and used to be decently reliable, but since that changed its just been troublesome.

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
For someone who is vocal about the "horrible" meals on AA, I haven't seen you post what you been served on your flights...

BTW, would love to see your data that the Pre-Order has barely had a pulse, and is unreliable?
I actually just had a lovely pasty ravioli last week with a side of ground up vegetables swimming in a vinegary dressing of some sort. I'll add a photo as soon as I return to a full sized computer. I have fewer meal photos than I used to as I try to avoid AA as much as possible.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA72
Airbus A321
MCO-DFW
Lunch

This flight was an interesting one. An open bar PDB was offered (first time this year for me on AA metal). No hot towel, no warm mixed nuts... Upon boarding, I saw the FA load some nuts into one of the ovens and begin warming them, however that's where they remained throughout the flight. Odd. After departure drink orders were taken and I ordered what I would typically have along with the nuts, only to find that lunch was served immediately.

Today's options were pear/chicken salad or the spinach/kale ravioli. Not being a fan of many of the components of the salad, I went with the pasta:

This was exactly the same as the post 9/1 'ricotta cavatelli in Mediterranean sauce' except that the ricotta cavatelli has been replaced with a very pasty and questionable ravioli which really didn't seem to have much to do with kale or spinach. Only three raviolis in the sea of Prego with some little chunks of eggplant sprinkled on top for some reason or another.

Salad was the same as it has been since it was introduced on 9/1. Tiny, and not really a salad so much as it was an amuse bouche. Also, if you end up blessed with this menu, I would highly recommend avoiding this:

It is tongue-twistingly bitter and about the most disgusting thing I've ever had the displeasure of tasting before. It took two or three drinks to clear out the taste of that. Finally the rolls were pretty burned. I long for the old cheesy focaccia bread that used to be offered. It seems as though crews have a very hard time properly heating things in the ovens on the A321s. This is the fourth time this year I've gotten burned rolls and burned cookies out of 4 AA A321 flights. No cookie photo, but suffice to say it was the typical burned on board variety.

All in all, about on par with what I expected it to be. Fortunately I had a few hours in the Centurion at DFW immediately following this flight so I just picked at things and waited to have a substantial lunch there. Had I been connecting to another midcon towards the west coast I would have been pretty miffed and hungry.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by cmd320
AA72
Airbus A321
MCO-DFW
Lunch

I saw the FA load some nuts into one of the ovens and begin warming them, however that's where they remained throughout the flight. Odd. After departure drink orders were taken and I ordered what I would typically have along with the nuts, only to find that lunch was served immediately.
What is going on?? This is like the third or fourth report by someone recently who has said that nuts were seen loaded and/or warmed on board, but never served. It would be incredible to think that this is the same flight crew.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Thanks to anyone who takes the time to take photos... I for one am too embarrassed to wip out the phone and take a photo of the goop and slop.

Indeed.
I actually just had a lovely pasty ravioli last week with a side of ground up vegetables swimming in a vinegary dressing of some sort. I'll add a photo as soon as I return to a full sized computer. I have fewer meal photos than I used to as I try to avoid AA as much as possible.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
So, my upcoming ORD-DCA flight is wide open in F. I could burn two of my 28 upgrade certs....

Departure is 8:03 pm and meal is listed as "refreshments".

I know that DCA-ORD is an "exception" market in terms of meals, but what would be the food service on an 8:00+ pm flight in first on this market?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
So, my upcoming ORD-DCA flight is wide open in F. I could burn two of my 28 upgrade certs....

Departure is 8:03 pm and meal is listed as "refreshments".

I know that DCA-ORD is an "exception" market in terms of meals, but what would be the food service on an 8:00+ pm flight in first on this market?
No real food service. Warm mixed nuts and a cookie is all you'll be getting. Pretty much all domestic meals end now at 8pm with the exception of a few westbound transcons.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
So, I flew from PHX to SEA on the 8:10pm departure. I had expected to have the snack basket and Lite Bites sandwiches. All we had were the hot mixed nuts and a warmed chocolate chip cookie. The FA was super nice and really monitored for drink refills. They just didn't give her anything to work with.

Was this a catering error?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:01 pm

Not looking forward to these 2 options for upcoming JFK-SAN Transcon...

Teriyaki Beef
Served with Pineapple Rice, Snap Peas and Carrots

Cremini Mushroom Ravioli
Served with a Sundried Tomato Cream Sauce
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Ringside

Teriyaki Beef

Cremini Mushroom Ravioli
Give me about 24 hours and I will let you know how the beef is...
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by formeraa
So, I flew from PHX to SEA on the 8:10pm departure. I had expected to have the snack basket and Lite Bites sandwiches. All we had were the hot mixed nuts and a warmed chocolate chip cookie. The FA was super nice and really monitored for drink refills. They just didn't give her anything to work with.

I believe that's consistent with pmAA catering for most flights leaving after designated meal hours.

pmAA's system worked like this:

Shorter flights:
5am - 8pm: meal service
8pm - 4:59am: warmed nuts, cookie

Longer midcons (DFW/ORD-west coast; DFW-northeast for example):
8pm - 9pm: light snack
9pm-4:59am: warmed nuts, cookie

Current system:

All flights except for premium transcons (which are JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX):
5am - 8pm: meal service*
8pm - 4:59am: warmed nuts, cookie**

Previous to (I think) 5/1/2015, Lite Bites were served on flights that now get warmed nuts/cookies only. This was essentially a return to pmAA service specifically for non-meal/non-snack flights. As PHX-SEA obviously is a shorter flight, that's what you get.

Hope that makes sense! If someone can publish the specific matrix chart AA uses to designate meal service, that'd be great! Also, correct me if I'm wrong.

*shorter flights under 1,299 miles (IIRC) get warmed nuts/a cookie for flights between 1:30-4pm.
**flights above 2,200 miles get a light breakfast box prior to arrival
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Give me about 24 hours and I will let you know how the beef is...
It's disgusting. Ravioli is fine but pretty heavy.

I am personally sick of the nuts.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
I believe that's consistent with pmAA catering for most flights leaving after designated meal hours.

pmAA's system worked like this:

Shorter flights:
8pm - 4:59am: warmed nuts, cookie

Longer midcons (DFW/ORD-west coast; DFW-northeast for example):
8pm - 9pm: light snack
9pm-4:59am: warmed nuts, cookie

Current system:

All flights except for premium transcons (which are JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX):
5am - 8pm: meal service*
8pm - 4:59am: warmed nuts, cookie**

Previous to (I think) 5/1/2015, Lite Bites were served on flights that now get warmed nuts/cookies only. This was essentially a return to pmAA service specifically for non-meal/non-snack flights. As PHX-SEA obviously is a shorter flight, that's what you get.

Hope that makes sense! If someone can publish the specific matrix chart AA uses to designate meal service, that'd be great! Also, correct me if I'm wrong.

*shorter flights under 1,299 miles (IIRC) get warmed nuts/a cookie for flights between 1:30-4pm.
**flights above 2,200 miles get a light breakfast box prior to arrival
So which flights get the snack basket service? Something like DFW-MCI that never gets meal service no matter what?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by formeraa
No, this is sadly correct. Nothing to eat after 8pm anymore (few standard transcon exceptions).

Originally Posted by Ringside

Teriyaki Beef

Cremini Mushroom Ravioli
My condolences. As I stated upthread, this is one of the worst menus out there currently IMO. If you have time, eat before or self-cater. If you don't, then I would suggest the mushroom ravioli if you can get past the absolutely disgusting look of it.

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
So which flights get the snack basket service? Something like DFW-MCI that never gets meal service no matter what?
Yes, that's correct. Something like MIA-ATL will see a snack basket. Other flights that will see a snack basket are those within meal times but between lunch and dinner where a plated snack used to be offered.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
No, this is sadly correct. Nothing to eat after 8pm anymore (few standard transcon exceptions).

My condolences. As I stated upthread, this is one of the worst menus out there currently IMO. If you have time, eat before or self-cater. If you don't, then I would suggest the mushroom ravioli if you can get past the absolutely disgusting look of it.

Yes, that's correct. Something like MIA-ATL will see a snack basket. Other flights that will see a snack basket are those within meal times but between lunch and dinner where a plated snack used to be offered.
Are the snack baskets also on the Eagle flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.