Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2015 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of. This Wiki covers both AA and US flights, but as of September 2014, AA and US offers identical meal service domestically, so that part of the merger has its' harmonization completed.

Basically, in its' best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Last updated: 7/26/2015 2:33pm, MrAndy1369
Print Wikipost

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
I would call, asked to speak to someone and let them know the reply you got did not address your complaint.

I placed a complaint about the food and received a generated response with in 30 minutes, I picked up the phone and told them how I really felt.

Originally Posted by dcfrequentflyer
I flew DCA-LAX, in (paid) first, on Friday. The meal and service were so poor compared to the previous transcontinental offering that I finally decided to write a letter about my disappointment with the meal changes, particularly on transcontinental routes.

How frustrating. I'll write back. But it's clear my correspondence wasn't even read; instead, I was given the same form-letter response as anyone who's written in about the lack of meal service on AA routes that used to have it and those disgusting sandwiches. I'm glad so many people have written in about that to warrant a form letter (ha!/sigh), but I'd prefer a response that actually addresses my concerns.

Groan.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Flew SFO-JFK in C on Saturday. Red-eye flight and was absolutely blown away by the meal served on a red eye. FA provided me with simple one sheeter menu, along with warm nuts. I opted for a truncated version of the meal because I didn't want a huge meal at 11pm PST. Ordered the southwest salad (sans beef kebab) and had the soup. Served with bread roll and individual ice cream cup on the tray.

Having come from UA, this was my first transcon red eye with AA and wow was I impressed! Hope the flight wasn't catered full, as only two of us in C partook of the meal service.
It's been years since I've flown UA and I'm still scarred by that damned fruit plate (or nothing!) when expecting a meal on those 8PM or later JFK-LAX transcons. As much as people ..... and moan about the catering changes post 9/1 on AA - the late night meals on long routes are one area AA still runs circles around UA.

And keep the complaints rolling in gang - obviously they are making a difference slowly but surely.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
AA181 JFK-LAX J Feb 2015

AA181 JFK-LAX Business Class February 2015

Quite a long domestic flight - 6h25m flight time, and just over 7h30m onboard. Friendly service, a satisfying meal, and a great seat made the time fly by!

Dinner

Starter

Smoked Salmon
Served with cream cheese, caper berry and toast points

Salad

Seasonal Greens with Red Quinoa and Tabbouleh
With your choice of pepper cream dressing or premium extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Assorted gourmet breads will be served with your meal

Entrees

Grilled Beef Filet with Demi Sauce
Served with potatoes au gratin accompanied by sautéed spinach and kale

Grilled Chicken Tapenade
Chicken breast with tomato and olive tapenade served with orzo pilaf and broccolini

Lentil Chili
Served with polenta cake and tomato jam

Dessert

Traditional Ice Cream Sundae
Ben&Jerry's vanilla ice cream with your choice of hot fudge, butterscotch or seasonal berry toppings, whipped cream and chopped nuts

Gourmet Cheese Plate
An assortment of fine cheeses with garnishes

Light Refreshment
Offered prior to arrival

Whole Fruit and Snacks
A selection of fresh seasonal fruit and premium snacks

Cookies
Warmed on board

Wine List

Sparkling Wine
Lunetta Prosecco, Italy

White Wine
Kimmel Chardonnay
The Climber Sauvignon Blanc, Mendocino

Red Wine
Echelon Cabernet Sauvignon
Glass Mountain Merlot

3Cls, Business, Dinner-Snack 2/15

Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
I would call, asked to speak to someone and let them know the reply you got did not address your complaint.

I placed a complaint about the food and received a generated response with in 30 minutes, I picked up the phone and told them how I really felt.
Which department did you call? It's Customer Relations that track complaints and advise the various departments when there are increases.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
I just called the Executive Platinum Line, told them I submitted a complaint online and I was not happy with the auto-generated reply which addressed ZERO of the issues in my complaint. They transferred me and I spoke to a customer relations rep who submitted a rebuttal. I heard back from some person in customer relations who said my complaint was forwarded to the managing director of food and beverage service.

Originally Posted by anabolism
Which department did you call? It's Customer Relations that track complaints and advise the various departments when there are increases.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Would SFO-DFW midday departure rate a hot lunch? Also, I understand there is no Flagship Lounge at DFW for International First Class. Sounds like paid entry into The Club might make for a more satisfying layover.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Would SFO-DFW midday departure rate a hot lunch? Also, I understand there is no Flagship Lounge at DFW for International First Class. Sounds like paid entry into The Club might make for a more satisfying layover.
Yes. It will be a choice of some kind of generally poor quality protein, or a pasta of some sort. No flagship at DFW but intercontinental First will be able to access the Admirals Club at no charge. If you're looking for a better lounge I would suggest the Centurion Lounge over The Club.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
I just called the Executive Platinum Line, told them I submitted a complaint online and I was not happy with the auto-generated reply which addressed ZERO of the issues in my complaint. They transferred me and I spoke to a customer relations rep who submitted a rebuttal. I heard back from some person in customer relations who said my complaint was forwarded to the managing director of food and beverage service.
You did the right think and were transferred to the right department. I'm glad to hear it. I'm also glad that it sounds like someone finally took your complaint seriously.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
AA1224 DFW-EWR 1:35 pm Lunch

The highlight was the key lime pie for dessert. One of the best key lime pies I have ever had. The chicken appetizer was good and the salad was fine, although I would have preferred a dressing other than ranch. The bowtie pasta was supposed to have a basil cream sauce. There were indeed flecks of green in the sauce but no hint of basil taste. Just bland cream. Normally I don't order the pasta but the alternative was a beef chimichurri enchilada. The pasta was the lesser of two evils.

Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
@:-) Note that a day pass to the AAdmiral's Club is valid for the day so you could use in SFO and DFW.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24.05.2004
@:-) Note that a day pass to the AAdmiral's Club is valid for the day so you could use in SFO and DFW.
If the OP is same day Intercon F, none of it makes a difference as they will have AC access based on class of service both at DFW and at SFO. No need for a day pass.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
Originally Posted by cmd320
If the OP is same day Intercon F, none of it makes a difference as they will have AC access based on class of service both at DFW and at SFO. No need for a day pass.
Agreed cmd320 -- my answer was based on his "paid" remark. And if his Intercon F is on, say, Emirates, no access at AAny club...

ETA: Heck, think we both missed it -- he's referring to The Club. I think. Maybe.

Last edited by 24.05.2004; Mar 6, 2015 at 10:45 am Reason: Sigh -- need more coffee!
Old Mar 6, 2015, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24.05.2004
Agreed cmd320 -- my answer was based on his "paid" remark. And if his Intercon F is on, say, Emirates, no access at AAny club...

ETA: Heck, think we both missed it -- he's referring to The Club. I think. Maybe.
Agreed. It's all going to depend on what carrier OP is on out of DFW. Emirates does have their own lounge at DFW. The Club is shared by a few different airlines and can also be accessed on a complimentary basis via Priority Pass. The reality is if OP is flying Intercontinental First out of DFW on pretty much any airline, they will have lounge access somewhere. The only grey area would be in SFO depending on the airline.

If for some reason OP does not have access to any lounge at DFW, I would advise getting a day pass for the Centurion which is head and shoulders above the AC and The Club.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by ceebee100
Teriyaki Beef
Served with Pineapple Rice, Snap Peas and Carrots

or
Cremini Mushroom Ravioli
Some people have a rule: never order fish on an airplane. I don't understand that, but I guess it goes back to some movie or other Personally, I have a rule to never order beef on a plane. I'm picky about beef. I want to know the butcher's name and possibly the steer's name as well

March 2015 AA 1431 ORD-FLL
Beef in Mustard Sauce
or
Tortellini in Arrabbiata Sauce

Given that I've told you my feelings on beef, you can guess that I pre-ordered the tortellini. Except that pre-orders don't go through if you cancel out of the dialog before selecting a meal for every last flight in your itinerary. So I found myself with a choice of beef or beef. I asked for just the tray with the side-salad. I've done that many times in the last year or two since AA stopped (reduced?) offering entree salads. Usually I can get by on just the salad and the bread. This time I could not. The salad was a few leaves of tasteless iceberg lettuce with some meager shavings of cheese. No tomatoes, no olives, no other vegetable or garnish. A very poor excuse for a salad. I contemplated writing my first ever inflight service complaint to AA… but then I got distracted by my business in FLL.

Which brings me to...
March 2015 AA 1074 FLL-ORD
Teriyaki Beef
or
Cremini Mushroom Ravioli

You can call me stubborn, ornery, backwards, just about any name you choose, and I won't be offended. But I do try to learn from my mistakes. So I ordered the beef. Wow. This was far and above the best domestic airline lunch or dinner I've had in the last year. Based on this, I think AA's new catering is not all bad. It's just hit-or-miss. Which is how it always was. Don't expect more than three specks of pineapple in your rice though. And we're down to one half pistachio in the warm nuts.

Old Mar 8, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flightrisk
Good question... is there a service standard to use the bread basket? Most FA's seem to use the bread basket, but I've noticed some FA's will arbitrarily assign a roll on the tray. I wonder if it's for the sake of expedience or laziness? The second option seems to be catered, but it's not being heated nor offered.
I think it has to do with a new overall AA/US absence of focus on customer experience and passenger service. There is consistent decline in focus on the customer since the discount carrier team took over. I feel that there are superstar AA FAs who will always choose to bring their A game to the customer, but it would appear that has become much more the exception.

Frankly, when you fly competitors like DL and JetBlue today, it becomes apparent when you board an AA flight again that a top-to-bottom overhaul is desperately needed to retrain and focus on customer service.

Examples: 1) I've yet to hear the slamming of an overhead bin by a JetBlue FA (of course I will now that I am jinxing it by writing it here), where it seems to be common place on AA now.
2) JetBlue you are highly unlikely to hear crew members chatting away at high volume in the galleys with disregard to passenger experience as I frequently experience on AA.
3) JetBlue FAs treat you respectfully as if you matter.. reach for your bag to help you stow or retrieve it from the overhead bin.

They've done something at both JetBlue and Delta to emphasize treating a customer well...and it feels good. AA seems random. Sometimes great.. many times not.

Last edited by cyber1k; Mar 8, 2015 at 8:14 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.