Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2015 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of. This Wiki covers both AA and US flights, but as of September 2014, AA and US offers identical meal service domestically, so that part of the merger has its' harmonization completed.

Basically, in its' best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Last updated: 7/26/2015 2:33pm, MrAndy1369
Print Wikipost

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
It's actually not a Mesa issue, it's an equipment issue. All flights on the CR9, whether operated by Mesa or PSA, have these tiny trays and very limited meal service. The E170s/175s have a larger galley so get a full sized (albeit cold) meal service.

I actually think we have UA to thank for the meals we are currently seeing on Eagle. This management team had planned to go the snack box route, but soon reversed the decision after they saw UA introduce meals on Express.
I agree.....thanks UA! :P
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy
I do get really nervous when people start pining for the shrimp cocktail appetizer.
Wait, people were asking for the shrimp cocktail? Had it today, and distinctly unimpressed with 2 bland medium shrimp with mild sauce served in a cucumber. I'd rather have the hummus, caprese, or prosciutto/melon of the appetizers I can remember. Hardly an "improvement" over other appetizers. Although I also thought appetizers for the most part weren't the problem with meal service.

The pecan chicken salad was equally unimpressive -- I supposed it's better than getting the artichoke ravioli for lunch, but unlike some previous posters, I found the chicken woefully lacking flavor, and the salad itself cloyingly sweet with the mandarin oranges, cranberries, and raspberry vinaigrette. Honestly, even TGI Friday's and Wendy's have better versions of this salad. If I'm stuck on another lunch flight, I'm opting for nothing or the BOB salad, which has generally been tastier and larger.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by flightrisk
Wait, people were asking for the shrimp cocktail? Had it today, and distinctly unimpressed with 2 bland medium shrimp with mild sauce served in a cucumber. I'd rather have the hummus, caprese, or prosciutto/melon of the appetizers I can remember. Hardly an "improvement" over other appetizers. Although I also thought appetizers for the most part weren't the problem with meal service.

The pecan chicken salad was equally unimpressive -- I supposed it's better than getting the artichoke ravioli for lunch, but unlike some previous posters, I found the chicken woefully lacking flavor, and the salad itself cloyingly sweet with the mandarin oranges, cranberries, and raspberry vinaigrette. Honestly, even TGI Friday's and Wendy's have better versions of this salad. If I'm stuck on another lunch flight, I'm opting for nothing or the BOB salad, which has generally been tastier and larger.
I much prefer the shrimp cocktail to any of the appetizers on offer now. The shrimp was easy to accomplish on the aircraft, and was decently appetizing all the times I had it. The current apps are far too complex and are generally not good.

I do agree the latest lunch options are pretty blah. The lentil chili was good, but otherwise the lunches are really lacking. There's no need to have a salad and a pasta option.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 1:18 am

AA 348 ORD-LGA August 2015

August 2015
AA 348
Chicago O’Hare to New York La Guardia

No Pre-takeoff Beverage

[URL=http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/Carfield76/media/Summer%202015/IMG_0841_zpsgxcjayck.jpg.html]

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc465/Carfield76/Summer%202015/IMG_0841_zpsgxcjayck.jpg

http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/Carfield76/media/Summer%202015/IMG_0842_zpsrgt71teu.jpg.html

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc465/Carfield76/Summer%202015/IMG_0842_zpsrgt71teu.jpg

http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/Carfield76/media/Summer%202015/IMG_0843_zpsgy2zaln7.jpg.html

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc465/Carfield76/Summer%202015/IMG_0843_zpsgy2zaln7.jpg

http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/Carfield76/media/Summer%202015/IMG_0844_zpsmz1lvtab.jpg.html

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc465/Carfield76/Summer%202015/IMG_0844_zpsmz1lvtab.jpg

Herbes de Provence Chicken Breast with mushroom risotto and haricots verts – my choice or Black Bean, Cotija Cheese and Green Chile Sweet Corn Tamale with tomatillo sauce and Spanish rice

http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/Carfield76/media/Summer%202015/IMG_0845_zps97odinpa.jpg.html

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc465/Carfield76/Summer%202015/IMG_0845_zps97odinpa.jpg

http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/Carfield76/media/Summer%202015/IMG_0847_zpsnys7kjhp.jpg.html

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc465/Carfield76/Summer%202015/IMG_0847_zpsnys7kjhp.jpg

US Airways Glass on AA flight

URL=http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/Carfield76/media/Summer%202015/IMG_0849_zps5dtgzirg.jpg.html

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc465/Carfield76/Summer%202015/IMG_0849_zps5dtgzirg.jpg

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 29, 2015 at 6:15 pm Reason: Oversized image IMG tags redacted; please keep to size per Rules
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:42 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Carfield
August 2015
AA 348
Chicago O’Hare to New York La Guardia

No Pre-takeoff Beverage

Herbes de Provence Chicken Breast with mushroom risotto and haricots verts – my choice or Black Bean, Cotija Cheese and Green Chile Sweet Corn Tamale with tomatillo sauce and Spanish rice

US Airways Glass on AA flight
Wow nuts and cookie on the same tray all at once? Pathetic.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 29, 2015 at 6:01 pm Reason: Deleted repeated images
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
On the upside, linens! The presentation here actually looks pretty good.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AAEmpireState
On the upside, linens! The presentation here actually looks pretty good.
That target has obviously shifted so as to have other things to feign outrage over.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Linen looks nice. Unfortunately very lAAzy service from the crew. No excuse to serve nuts and dessert on the tray with the meal. Hopefully OP lets AA know that the cabin crew botch this one pretty severely.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
It's not exactly a long route that would easily allow for a leisurely service. It's an exception route (under 900 miles)...Does the food taste differently when presented like this? I'm thinking no.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by cmd320
Linen looks nice. Unfortunately very lAAzy service from the crew. No excuse to serve nuts and dessert on the tray with the meal. Hopefully OP lets AA know that the cabin crew botch this one pretty severely.
Last time i flew LGA-ORD we barely had any time to do the entire meal service. If you have an inexperienced crew they're going to take the entire 1 hour 55 minute flight time to do meal service.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Big ^ to linens.

As for the expedited service (cookie/nuts on the tray), perhaps there was turbulence in the air, or the crew felt there wasn't enough time? It's definitely a short flight. If this becomes the de facto standard, then but maybe it had something to do with the shorter flight and timing parameters, especially if headwinds were faster heading east?

Regardless, hoping the few photos lately with preset linens bode a good sign that preset linens will soon be the standard set everywhere. That chicken also looks very delicious! Mmm.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<redacted>

Well this officially seems to sum up the customer service attitude at the new AA. Procedures aren't followed, complaints are sent in, and the customer is being ignored... and rightly so. Very eye-opening and informative.

Just to clarify, the proper meal procedure for a basic flight such as this is:

1) hot towel
2) warm mixed nuts and pre-meal beverage after takeoff
3) meal service with tray and beverage refills/changes
4) dessert with an additional beverage offering
5) continue to refill beverages until catering items are stored at 10,000ft
6) pre-landing mint

I seem to have missed the part where it became acceptable to toss the nuts and cookie on the tray with the salad, main, and bread, but please, I would love to be proven incorrect with some sort of reference material.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 29, 2015 at 10:23 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Did it ever occur to you that he op out the nuts on the tray? Or the op was asleep and woke up after dinner service, so the FA gave him what everyone else got (which has happened to me many times)?

Last edited by AA-Flyer-SAN; Aug 29, 2015 at 2:34 pm
Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:17 pm

As the OP for the meal from ORD to LGA, I will want to add some info regarding the actual flight. I kept a detailed flight log. The purser was actually a nice gentleman in his sixties and was quite experienced. He actually greeted each passenger when they boarded, but did not bother with any pre-takeoff beverage, even though catering was done early. The inbound flight arrived early from SFO. Flying time was an hour and thirty-seven minutes and it was a smooth flight. He did the hot towel service, but decided to not to do an initial beverage service. He served the warmed nuts, beverage, and meal all together. He did not use the trolley. He refilled beverages throughout the flight, but since he served everything together, it took a while for everyone to finish the meal (more than 30 minutes between the moment he served me the tray and took away my tray). He collected my tray a minute before descent began. He did the mints.

I don't mind the cookie being served together, but wish that he would did a first beverage service first. If he took the beverage & meal orders prior to departure, the service might speed up a bit. However our taxi time was short... we pushed back at 6:30pm and took off at 6:40pm. That might explain why he served everything together.

As you all know, I will admit that I am a fairly picky person when it comes to service. While I lower my expectation on the legacy carriers, I will not hesitate to voice my complaint if it is bad. However, I did not file any complaint on twitter or emailed AA because the flight was a bit shorter than normal especially a short taxi time that evening. Plus the F/A was a nice guy and I could not call him lazy. He was working nonstop throughout the flight and even thanked us for flying AA towards the end of the flight. This flight was just fine!

Carfield
Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carfield
As the OP for the meal from ORD to LGA, I will want to add some info regarding the actual flight. I kept a detailed flight log. The purser was actually a nice gentleman in his sixties and was quite experienced. He actually greeted each passenger when they boarded, but did not bother with any pre-takeoff beverage, even though catering was done early. The inbound flight arrived early from SFO. Flying time was an hour and thirty-seven minutes and it was a smooth flight. He did the hot towel service, but decided to not to do an initial beverage service. He served the warmed nuts, beverage, and meal all together. He did not use the trolley. He refilled beverages throughout the flight, but since he served everything together, it took a while for everyone to finish the meal (more than 30 minutes between the moment he served me the tray and took away my tray). He collected my tray a minute before descent began. He did the mints.

I don't mind the cookie being served together, but wish that he would did a first beverage service first. If he took the beverage & meal orders prior to departure, the service might speed up a bit. However our taxi time was short... we pushed back at 6:30pm and took off at 6:40pm. That might explain why he served everything together.

As you all know, I will admit that I am a fairly picky person when it comes to service. While I lower my expectation on the legacy carriers, I will not hesitate to voice my complaint if it is bad. However, I did not file any complaint on twitter or emailed AA because the flight was a bit shorter than normal especially a short taxi time that evening. Plus the F/A was a nice guy and I could not call him lazy. He was working nonstop throughout the flight and even thanked us for flying AA towards the end of the flight. This flight was just fine!

Carfield
From your description, it sounds as though there was only one FA working the F cabin, is this accurate? If so, were the other three all back in Y? That is very odd in my experience with the 4 FA 738s. Typically on these aircraft in F one FA will remain in the galley to help with the prep while the other serves the cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.