Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2015 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of. This Wiki covers both AA and US flights, but as of September 2014, AA and US offers identical meal service domestically, so that part of the merger has its' harmonization completed.

Basically, in its' best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Last updated: 7/26/2015 2:33pm, MrAndy1369
Print Wikipost

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by morrisunc
Has the Admirals Club at ORD always had the corn salsa and hummus??? It was quite good.
Hummus and the salsa is a new recent addition, one of the "improvements"
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by morrisunc
Sunday RDU-ORD had the beef filet w/ lobster mac & cheese, wedge and cookie...was surprised on such a short flight. Filet was not as good as the one I had on LAX-RDU a few weeks ago, but the mac and cheese was excellent. Salad was excellent. PDB by AA Crew!!!! Shocked. Excellent service.

Yesterday 8:20pm ORD-LAX no meal served - surprised this wouldn't be an exception given competition with UA. Nevertheless, the cheese plate was really good - warm nuts (which I'm so sick of and usually decline). No PDB, but the FA was excellent.....let everyone mix their own cocktails with 2 bottles delivered with each order....very proactive the whole flight. Back still hurts from the horrific worst in class AA 737 F seat.

Has the Admirals Club at ORD always had the corn salsa and hummus??? It was quite good.
Could you clarify the service received on your ORD-LAX segment? Despite being after 8:00pm, you did receive a plated snack? If so, this would be a much welcomed enhancement given that these flights have only been receiving nuts/cookie service for the last several months (except for PMUS flights from PHL/CLT headed to DEN and any points west which receive a full meal).

I don't know why this exception rule won't be extended to the PMAA hubs in MIA, JFK, and other outstions that may see late night transcons such as BOS. I can understand perhaps a compromise leaving ORD with plated snacks as west coast flights really fall into the midcon category from there (all being less than 1900 miles). I'm almost scared to write AA and suggest that because then they'll notice the inconsistency and we might lose service on the PHL and CLT routes.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:55 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Could you clarify the service received on your ORD-LAX segment? Despite being after 8:00pm, you did receive a plated snack? If so, this would be a much welcomed enhancement given that these flights have only been receiving nuts/cookie service for the last several months (except for PMUS flights from PHL/CLT headed to DEN and any points west which receive a full meal).

I don't know why this exception rule won't be extended to the PMAA hubs in MIA, JFK, and other outstions that may see late night transcons such as BOS. I can understand perhaps a compromise leaving ORD with plated snacks as west coast flights really fall into the midcon category from there (all being less than 1900 miles). I'm almost scared to write AA and suggest that because then they'll notice the inconsistency and we might lose service on the PHL and CLT routes.
Yes - 820pm ORD-LAX choice of cheese plate or hummus/pita - Everyone was offered 2nd helping as well. Really liked the corn salsa at the ORD Admirals club.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Which flights is that offered on? Would it be available on MIA-SFO for instance?
This was BOS-LAX on 737-800...AA.com could use an update, now been nearly 18 months that even the 757 has been gone from this market, even longer (36 months) for the 763.

I was remarking on the service-not so much availability/provisioning of the PEDs. I think this was just a one-off lazy F/A, seemed many pax wanted to go to sleep but to an infrequent or first time F traveler on this route they likely wouldn't know to ask. I understand it creates a small amount of ancillary work for the F/As, but would almost be ok if when taking meal orders, also offer the PED kit.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Flew SEA-ORD on Monday afternoon (AA 1239). Our upgrades cleared at the 100 hour mark (amazed at that). Preordered shrimp & grits for me - husband had the 5 cheese pasta. Offered PDB (open bar). Tray set up included a kale salad, bruschetta appetizer and entrée. Shrimp & Grits was very tasty - a little spice on the shrimp, grits were plated nicely versus being dumped on the plate. Husband's pasta had the cheese and basil topping. Good job at topping off cocktails/wine during the meal service. Desert was a salted caramel ice cream with chocolate chips and pretzels.

Overall, I think it was a step up versus what I have had on other midcons.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by SFO777
What time was this departure? I'm not aware of any DEN-DFW "Snack" flights.

My DEN-DFW flight last week (12:56p departure) listed as "Refreshments" featured a choice of Cheese Plate or Spinach and Artichoke Dip. Wondering which flight was the mis-cater or was it a departure time thingy? The offerings on my flight did seem shockingly generous for the LCC gang. Then again, reality and back to normal set in on my connecting flight.
The new standard shows that flights of 1-2 hrs in the under 699 mile time frame receive beverages with a snack basket; regardless of time of day. No hot food. There are a few exception markets, but this is not one of them.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Robt760
The new standard shows that flights of 1-2 hrs in the under 699 mile time frame receive beverages with a snack basket; regardless of time of day. No hot food. There are a few exception markets, but this is not one of them.
OK, then how do you explain this on last week's 12:56P DEN-DFW flight?
Definitely not a snack basket item.

Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by AAEmpireState
To be fair, they are very different types of salads; hard to see what the redundancies are.
Not redundant but any chef or restaurant worth it's salt would never serve two such culinary conflicting items at the same meal. Asian is Asian and Med is Med. They do not compliment each other. Cheese is foreign to most if not all, Asian entrees.

I flew DFW/OGG last week and had a similar experience. Entree was the teriyaki chicken with rice and the salad was a very nice mix of mozzarella, oak leaf lettuce, tomato, basil. Would have been perfect with an Italian vinaigrette but no, they served it with an Asian sesame seed dressing. Whatever they pay their head chefs at the new AA is too much.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
<redacted>

Originally Posted by SFO777
OK, then how do you explain this on last week's 12:56P DEN-DFW flight?
Definitely not a snack basket item.
sure beats those crap sandwiches.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 29, 2015 at 6:10 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content and reply, and repeated image
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:34 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Is it better to order a kosher meal?

Flying JFK-LAX in J on a breakfast flight and the choices are Cereal w/yogurt OR Omelette w/mushrooms, red pepper potatoes & chicken sausage OR Waffles w/chicken sausage.

Connecting inbound from GIG so I probably would have the omelette as breakfast and I don't want to have that again. Cereal is too light and Waffles are too sugary. Do you think that the kosher meal would be substantially better than all these choices? What is typically a kosher breakfast? Bagel and smoked salmon (I can always hope)?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 1:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A post that was essentially tangential to the topic at hand and overly speculative (drawing conclusions without evidence) caused a spate of replies; all have been deleted as being dilatory to the discussion of Combined AA/US Domestic Meals.

/Moderator
Old Aug 27, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
ORD-SFO
Shrimp with jalapeņo grits or sachetti
I preordered the shrimp

Meal commentary:
PDB - ample time for open bar but just water was offered
Linens - absent
Grits - an aesthetically acceptable middle ground between the show grits in the "new entrees!" showcase photos and the paving brick of grits in a prior post
Dessert - perfectly decent pre-portioned ice cream with semi-stale pretzels
Refills - aplenty
Arrival mints - yes

Other thoughts:
This was my first experience on a new non-transcon narrow body aircraft. Perhaps I was just pleasantly surprised by the newness of it all, but I didn't have the same negative reaction to the seats that some others have had. And, the map features were rather cool.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
A post that was essentially tangential to the topic at hand and overly speculative (drawing conclusions without evidence) caused a spate of replies; all have been deleted as being dilatory to the discussion of Combined AA/US Domestic Meals.

/Moderator
Thank you
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
AA5804
DFW-GSO
CRJ-900

op. by Maintenance Every Single Aircraft d.b.a. American Eagle

FA came around after departure to offer a ham sandwich or crispy chicken with salad.

Only one sandwich was left, so I selected the salad. Seatmate chose the sandwich and it was just a half (about the same size as the chicken in this pic)

Chicken was a bit tough, though the meal was ok. Not as filling as the options offered 10 days ago.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
AA 1577
IAH-CLT
D: 8:30AM
A: 11:59AM
Breakfast

No PDBs despite light load. The PMAA crews could use a lesson on PDBs from their PMUS counterparts, but that's a discussion for another thread. However, the drinks were served shortly after takeoff, and the crew was very attentive for the rest of the flight.

Choice of a Boursin omelette or french toast with sausage. I chose the omelette which was was served with sausage and potatoes. The omelette and sausage were good, but the potatoes were undercook. Bread basket consisted of biscuits and raisin rolls. I chose a biscuit, which was fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.