Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2015 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of. This Wiki covers both AA and US flights, but as of September 2014, AA and US offers identical meal service domestically, so that part of the merger has its' harmonization completed.

Basically, in its' best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Last updated: 7/26/2015 2:33pm, MrAndy1369
Print Wikipost

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
<redacted>

My suggestion was so I (and countless others) could ignore the never-ending linen discussion. Plus, I don't want fragmentation so you don't miss out on any discussion on the topic. I hope I don't have to start blocking people, but I'm afraid that's my next action.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 19, 2015 at 9:28 pm Reason: Redacted dilatory content
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
My choices for SFO-JFK transcon breakfast flight in J:

- steelcut oatmeal
- bagel with smoked salmon
- turkey bacon quiche

On paper, it seems frankly uninspiring to me. Is anything actually better than it seems and worth choosing? If not, would any of the special meals (Kosher, Muslim, Gluten free, vegetarian, etc) be a good choice on a transcon breakfast flight?

Many thanks!
Well, looks like they already have vegetarian, kosher, and halal wrapped up, in that order (speaking of course just from an ingredient perspective, not certifications or such)...
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Well, looks like they already have vegetarian, kosher, and halal wrapped up, in that order (speaking of course just from an ingredient perspective, not certifications or such)...
Indeed, well-spotted! -- but given that AA seem to be an airline of habits, I imagine that they have their standard kosher, gluten free, etc meals and keep my fingers crossed that one of them is good?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Here's a look at next month's transcon meal selections, for my upcoming JFK/LAX flights:

JFK-LAX (J) (lunch):
  • Creamy Truffled Mac & Cheese - With grilled asparagus
  • Pan Seared Crab Cakes - With jícama slaw and tomatillo poblano cream sauce
  • Chicken Sliders - With sriracha aïoli

LAX-JFK (F) (dinner):
  • Grilled Beef Filet - With shiitake mushroom sauce, roasted fingerling potatoes and blistered cherry tomatoes
  • Pan Roasted Huckleberry Chicken - Free-range, organic bone-in chicken breast with huckleberry barbecue sauce and organic quinoa with kale
  • Thai Curry Shrimp - With mushroom risotto and sautéed spinach with garlic
  • Pappardelle Pasta - With squash ribbons, red pepper basil pesto and shaved Parmesan cheese
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Indeed, well-spotted! -- but given that AA seem to be an airline of habits, I imagine that they have their standard kosher, gluten free, etc meals and keep my fingers crossed that one of them is good?
Wait, does AA even offer those choices on transcons? I don't think they do.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Yes, the trio of "premium" trans-con flights offer veg, gluten free, Kosher, etc. meals.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Well, premium transcons are the only ones to have 3 choices domestically since standard transcons were deemed unworthy, so I'd say it would have to be. Of course, it could always be a pre-order glitch seeing how common those have been of late.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by DFWRaider
... I'd love it if we went back to the 60s/70s ...
I'd be happy if they went back to 2012/2013 ...
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Yes, the trio of "premium" trans-con flights offer veg, gluten free, Kosher, etc. meals.
OK, good to know, thanks. I don't do those routes too often, and am not looking for this when I am. In that case, I think OP should give one of them a shot and report back with pictures.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
MEX-PHX
08/16/2015
Dinner Entree
"Lasagna Roll

One PDB on departure but no refills on the 25 minute taxi wait for departure. Linens put out and option was between a Lasagna Roll and chicken stuffed with mushrooms (allergic to mushrooms so decision was easy.

Pasta was undercooked, dry and rubbery. Sauce had decent flavor though. Salad was uninspiring.

The desert was (I forgot) but it was tasty and had me licking the spoon.

Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies

US4626
DCA-MCI
E175

Offered the choice of a chipotle chicken wrap or a spicy noodle salad with beef on the side.
Must be special for you guys to have a catered flight into MCI. Now that a couple more US Express flight have catered meals (in addition to the 3-4x weekly AA MIA service) wonder if/when MCI will get proper AA catering capabilities.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
This thread is mostly TL;DR - so just curious what can one expect on a Mesa "continental breakfast" flight? TIA!
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by serfty
I'd be happy if they went back to 2012/2013 ...
Completely agree. I'm not expecting a meal I would find on a foreign airline for domestic F. But I am expecting something worthy of domestic F class. In recent history, that 2012-2013 time period of catering was about as good as it got across the domestic system (VX excluded) since 9/11. Today's F meals and presentation belong in the Y cabin.

<redacted metadiscussion> What is unfortuante is settling for a subpar product and misleading people into believing it's better that it was before which many will attest to is clearly not true. All one needs to do is take a quick browse through the AA 2012-pm2014 meal threads (both domestic and intercontinental) to compare how much more presentable meals were then than they are now. Of course, to compare the quality, one would have actually had to experience the pre-merger product.

I disagree that it is our job to focus on the positive. That isn't our job at all. As consumers, our job is to demand an acceptable product for what we expect to receive on board. Every element of the service from the PDB to the pre-landing mint is relevant to me, the customer (linens, glassware, cutlery, china, napkins, trays, meal quality, meal quantity, presentation, service windows, cabin service, hard product, communicativeness and knowledge of crews, etc. etc. all included). If any one service/product item is off, you'd better believe I will let AA know about it, and I would hope everyone else would too. How else will standards be upheld?

Personally, I'm getting fed up with the ability of one company to control a third of the domestic air traffic and be held to zero standards operationally or from a service standpoint by any authority, regulatory or otherwise. If no one is going to keep them on their toes, then it's unfortunately up to the customer to do so, enough is enough.

Originally Posted by no1cub17
This thread is mostly TL;DR - so just curious what can one expect on a Mesa "continental breakfast" flight? TIA!
Expect a shelf-stable meal consisting of something like cereal with unrefrigerated milk in a carton, sealed pastries/bread products, plastic sealed fruit cups, etc. Basically if you're ever been on a double-catered flight, that's what you'll find with a continental breakfast flight.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 19, 2015 at 9:17 pm Reason: <redacted previously deleted content>
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Wow! Metadiscussion, entirely personal back and forth, broad stroke negative attributions against "the other airline's flyers... The mods must be getting lax around here!

Well, here's the deal: if a thread goes too far afield, becomes mutually argumentative and focusing on other members or groups of members we have the choice of closing the thread - or in the case of a very popular thread where most members are on topic and respectful of others, we can start formally warning those who will not listen, followed by suspension of membership privileges or blocking from the AA - US fora for those who can't own and control their posting behaviour.

This merger may be seen by some as a shotgun marriage, but it is what it is, not what we might want it to be. We will especially not tolerate dumping against pmUS or pmAA members, or subgroups of them. We can respect and assist each other, or shuffle off to imagined or hoped for greener pastures; please refrain from mucking up the water we all must drink, to be polite.

So: we're not going to lock this thread and punish the many members using this thread for its legitimate purposes; that leaves the other alternative. Yes, it's about the Rules and accepting personal responsibility and accountability.

We've attempted to split the linens discussion to the other thread. AMP or PM us if the linens are still particular to AA or US, or if there is uniformity of tray and table linens across both AA and US by now.

Try this for now if you wish to discuss strictly linens and not meals or linens as a part of the meal (defined mostly as food) service: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...a-us-both.html

Please: try to only insert images that are sized in such a way they do not affect page rendering; remember our members use a wide array of devices and software with varied access and speeds.

Now, we'll return to our usual programming: on with the meals discussion. And a hearty thanks to the many who remain civil and on topic. ^

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 19, 2015 at 10:20 pm Reason: Add as we go
Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by cmd320

Expect a shelf-stable meal consisting of something like cereal with unrefrigerated milk in a carton, sealed pastries/bread products, plastic sealed fruit cups, etc. Basically if you're ever been on a double-catered flight, that's what you'll find with a continental breakfast flight.
Minor correction. AA's shelf stable breakfasts have been upgraded to the fruit and cheese plates, warmed cinnamon pastry, whole banana, and granola plate we've seen a few times. A relatively nice upgrade, but still silly seeing as PMUS has catering contracts in these cities (yes we all know US served far fewer meals than AA, so please let's avoid commenting on that and just focus on the inconsistency for now, which is my point).

However, since the flight is Mesa I'm going to assume its a CR9, meaning limited galley space. Hence, the meal will consist of granola and warm boxed milk and a side item such as a pastry, only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.