Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2015 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of. This Wiki covers both AA and US flights, but as of September 2014, AA and US offers identical meal service domestically, so that part of the merger has its' harmonization completed.

Basically, in its' best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Last updated: 7/26/2015 2:33pm, MrAndy1369
Print Wikipost

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Does anyone have the contact information of the person who was at the press conference and who said pre-set linens would be returning? A long shot, but maybe if some of us contacted that person, action would be taken and the missing linens would return. That, or at least we'd get clarification on whether or not linens were returning.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Amen! But that would make one less thing to complain about so it had to be included anyways haha Although its easier to say AA sucks than to have any knowledge of sophisticated non-american dishes.
^

You sort of touched on one of these things that concerns me about some of the feedback.

I absolutely want them to fix some of the execution issues, and I don't think they should be complicated beyond what can be successfully executed with airline catering limitations, BUT I kind of like how current the menus are.

I do get really nervous when people start pining for the shrimp cocktail appetizer, the big bowl of iceberg with the garden veggies, or the breakfast skillets. Sure, they're simple and non-offensive, but who eats that way in 2015? Shrimp cocktail is a classic, but I can't even remember the last time I saw one on a menu in a fine dining establishment in my home town.

Sure, there is always something someone doesn't eat or is allergic to, but none of these items is made with anything highly obscure or endangered. Live a little people, be open minded (^ to the people who said they'd never seen some of these things before but tasted it anyway), and give it an honest try.

I'm the first to admit the execution doesn't seem to be there yet on some of this stuff, but I do love the fact that AA is going for it instead of still serving the same 60's style stuff for another 50 years. Hopefully soon it will be TASTY, besides worldly.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Carfield
August 2015
American Airlines First Class
AA 1081 Chicago to Los Angeles

Breakfast
Choice of Brushetta Omelet or French Toast with cranberry apple compote
Fresh Fruit
Choice of Biscuits or Apricot oatmeal rolls

There is no pre-arrival snack basket and cookie service anymore!
^ they no longer have sausage

When did AA have snack basket/pre-arrival cookies on mid-con breakfast flights? Had it on transcons, (ie BOS-LAX) until 08/31/14, now it's only limited to JFK-LAX/SFO and MIA-LAX.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Great trio of recent flights in F on AA this past week; no need for me to "take one for the team" by flying or eating; food was quite tasty, and crews were excellent. Now if only linens would appear!

AA 339, DFW-PVR (8/12)

No PDB or hot towels. That said, the FA working in F (side question: is it common for AA to only have one FA working in F on MD-80s?) was incredible, and earned an AAPlause Certificate from me. Without any assistance, she somehow managed to serve warmed nuts and drinks within 20 minutes of takeoff, meals to everyone, and then constantly ensured that everyone's drinks were full; five minutes didn't pass without her walking up and back the aisle.

As to food, we had a choice between a Puttanesca Pasta, and a Pecan Crusted Chicken salad; my husband and I both chose the salad, and it was delicious. Flavor wise, perhaps a bit too mid-90's for my taste, but the chicken was perfectly cooked and tender. My only complaint is that the cookie was served with our meal, but with only FA, I get it. That said, the cookie was still warm (yet not hot) and tasty when I came around to it. All around, a great flight. ^

AA 353, PVR-DFW (8/17)

Another excellent FA working in F. Again, no PDB, but prompt, attentive service throughout, with constant drink refills throughout the flight.

In terms of food, we had a choice between Vegetable Stuffed Lasagna and Mushroom Stuffed Chicken with roasted potatoes and green beans. My husband had the lasagna and said it was delicious (sorry, no pics). I had the chicken, and it rivaled if not exceeded anything I've had on PMAA. Perfectly tender, delicious sides, really enjoyable meal.

For dessert, we had a truly delicious lemon and cream bar of some sort (first time I've had a non-cookie dessert post-9/1; I used my napkin in the absence of any linens

Pre-arrival mints also were offered. ^

AA 356, DFW-JFK (8/17)

Another excellent, attentive flight crew, and although I love MD-80s, it was nice to be in a refreshed A321. PDB of water or orange juice (when most passengers chose water, FA commented, "oh, this must be a water flight," which of course begs the question, why offer orange juice instead of wine or cocktails on a 5:00 pm flight? ).

Again, constant drink refills throughout the flight.

As to food, we had a choice between chicken with olive tapenade and cheese ravioli. My husband had the chicken, and really nothing to add beyond what others have said here. I like the dish, and he said he enjoyed it, too. I had the cheese ravioli (tasted like mostly ricotta, with some parmesan), which were quite tasty (contrary to others' views here). The zucchini involtini was savory and delicious and perfectly presented, and the salad was suitable enough. People complain about meal sizes post-9/1, but frankly, it's hard to imagine consuming more food during a ~3 hour flight.

Perhaps this dish features the mythical fresh basil?

For dessert, we had premade sundaes (delicious! cherry ice cream with white and milk chocolate flakes), served alongside an appearance of linens!

As I finished my drinks, I kept the linen, which only underscores how much better food and drinks present when on linens rather than tray liners:

And again, pre-arrival mints. ^

All in all, three great flights in F. I'm happy with where food is landing these days, and the 8/1 improvements are great in my book. Honestly, my main gripe is the absence of consistent PDB service and pre-set linens. If AA actually commits to consistent service in this respect, I think they'll be getting close to a good balance. ^

Last edited by AAEmpireState; Aug 18, 2015 at 9:03 pm
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by AAEmpireState
Great trio of recent flights in F on AA this past week; no need for me to "take one for the team" by flying or eating; food was quite tasty, and crews were excellent. Now if only linens would appear!

All in all, three great flights in F. I'm happy with where food is landing these days, and the 8/1 improvements are great in my book. Honestly, my main gripe is the absence of consistent PDB service and pre-set linens. If AA actually commits to consistent service in this respect, I think they'll be getting close to a good balance. ^
Looks like you hit the jackpot on meals and crews. I have two flights coming up, one (dinner) with the dreaded chicken and piles of olives as the meat choice, and the other (lunch) with teriyaki chicken.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
...ou can see why im skeptical of UA's supposed superiority over AA. The grass always seems greener on the other side, and i've been on both.

As for consistency, it's clear that the flight crews just need to be trained to all do the same thing. While pmUS crews will offer anything u want to drink, PDBs on AA consist of a FA carrying a tray of warm OJ or Water 2 minutes before door closing.

Originally Posted by USAIRCHAIRMAN
you are literally my hero. <redacted> PMUS staff was SIGNIFICANTLY nicer. PMUS did PDBs too. And yet we have to blame "dougie". I mean idk if im the only one but im over all the griping. I dont care about linens. They mean nothing. They sit under a huge tray thus serving no real purpose. People just need to chill and appreciate the benefits that have come thus far from the merger. Catering took a huge step forward on 8/1 no doubt. work to do but everything is heading in a positive direction
The majority of people i talk to in first class have no gripes with the meal service. It's only the same 3-4 people who hate AA so much but for some reason keep flying them. I mean i wish i was in a position to complain about flying flagship first as well. As evidenced by a post above, there are actually some positive catering moments on AA. But some people can't be appeased. All i care about is the food, what it comes on is not really that relevant.

People who are also saying that the current management doesn't care or is not taking their concerns seriously are overlooking all the changes made in response to feedback. Remember those god awful sandwiches? At least theres some plated snack service now. People keep clamoring for the old AA, and they keep forgetting the old AA went bankrupt.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 19, 2015 at 9:23 pm Reason: Deleted previously deleted content and off topic
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
I mean i wish i was in a position to complain about flying flagship first as well. As evidenced by a post above, there are actually some positive catering moments on AA. But some people can't be appeased.
Yeah, and if flagship F catering was representative of all domestic F catering, then I don't think you'd see many complaints on here. In reality, they are completely different products and the catering found on premium transcons is the best found in the network at this point. Even intercontinental has seemingly taken a back seat to transcons (wines excluded of course). The problem is that premium transcons represent a fraction of a percent of the network.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 19, 2015 at 9:24 pm Reason: Deleted dilatory content
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:06 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Is pre-order really not available for Compass flights like DEN-LAX or any AE carriers? I'm not seeing it as an option and my flight isn't for a few days.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Is pre-order really not available for Compass flights like DEN-LAX or any AE carriers? I'm not seeing it as an option and my flight isn't for a few days.
Check back in a few hours. I've had that happen before where pre-order has just disappeared for 12+ hours at a time, but usually overnight. Those were mainline flights though.

I have not flown Eagle by Compass yet, but I can't imagine why it would be any different from the other Eagle flights.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy
^

I do get really nervous when people start pining for the shrimp cocktail appetizer, the big bowl of iceberg with the garden veggies, or the breakfast skillets. Sure, they're simple and non-offensive, but who eats that way in 2015? Shrimp cocktail is a classic, but I can't even remember the last time I saw one on a menu in a fine dining establishment in my home town.
You haven't been a Captial Grill then, since they have Shrimp Cocktail on thier menu's, across the country. Sometimes classic offerins are a good thing, I like the wedge salads too, now, a new interpretation of this would nice to see.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by morrisunc
You must have been flying a different PMAA than me.
No doubt. I've actually been rather pleased with the improvements AA has made in F catering. AA's catering was great prior to 9/11, but it's PM catering has been bottom of the barrel until the improvements seen with the merger.

And at the end of the day, it's airline food and not 5 Star restaurant cuisine. I'd love it if we went back to the 60s/70s and had super elite F service, but that was before deregulation when all airlines had to compete on was service. It's been a different animal the last two decades or so.

At the end of the day, I'll never understand why people are so up in arms over linens on an airplane.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
My choices for SFO-JFK transcon breakfast flight in J:

- steelcut oatmeal
- bagel with smoked salmon
- turkey bacon quiche

On paper, it seems frankly uninspiring to me. Is anything actually better than it seems and worth choosing? If not, would any of the special meals (Kosher, Muslim, Gluten free, vegetarian, etc) be a good choice on a transcon breakfast flight?

Many thanks!
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
AA1299
ORD-BOS
B738

Offered the choice of the omelette dish or a cereal/oatmeal (iirc).

The meal was decent, fruit was fresh, and we had the choice between two kinds of bread.

US4626
DCA-MCI
E175

Offered the choice of a chipotle chicken wrap or a spicy noodle salad with beef on the side.

Both dishes came with a slice of carrot cake and it was surprisingly good. The chipotle chicken wrap was good and reminded me of the snack wraps available in the bar on DFW-HKG.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:54 am

FWIW -

In the Flagship Lounge Chicago now. TSA removed the rolls... they were so hard they could be used as a weapon!

On the positive side, they now have some hot food. It is terrible today, but, at least there is some effort there.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies

US4626
DCA-MCI
E175

Both dishes came with a slice of carrot cake and it was surprisingly good. The chipotle chicken wrap was good and reminded me of the snack wraps available in the bar on DFW-HKG.
These look surprisingly good for cold dishes. The only thing that makes me laugh is they clearly don't have the correct size paper liners provisioned for Express, so they're using two of the CRJ-tray sized liners (like you would see on a Mesa CR9) to cover the tray.

Take that you linen haters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.