Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2015 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of. This Wiki covers both AA and US flights, but as of September 2014, AA and US offers identical meal service domestically, so that part of the merger has its' harmonization completed.

Basically, in its' best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Last updated: 7/26/2015 2:33pm, MrAndy1369
Print Wikipost

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Come on guys, pictures lol.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Don't think it was due to his "EXP" status but because of his status on the internet. I've been delayed a million times this year on AA and have never had a proactive mileage reimbursement or apology, and i've spent more on AA this year (i requalified for EXP status in March)
They just must not have you number!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AAEmpireState
With apologies if this is a dumb question, but did you request compensation, or were the apology/miles proactively offered due to your EXP status?
I had not requested compensation let alone sent a complaint.
Good question about status but just don't know how EXP status, or length of the delay, affected the compensation.

Don't think it was due to his "EXP" status but because of his status on the internet. I've been delayed a million times this year on AA and have never had a proactive mileage reimbursement or apology, and i've spent more on AA this year (i requalified for EXP status in March)
This is the first time I recall ever receiving a proactive apology and mileage compensation.
I was surprised especially since how stingy and secretive CS has become of late.

Last edited by SFO777; Nov 19, 2015 at 12:23 am
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Don't think it was due to his "EXP" status but because of his status on the internet.
Huh? How exactly does that work?

Originally Posted by bse118
Back on the topic of meals...

IAH-PHX
AA 454
LUS A320
November 18, 2015
6:05pm Scheduled Departure
Dinner

Water only PDB

Nuts - amusingly served in a plastic beverage cup, as no ramekins were loaded. Included cashews, almonds, and multiple pistachios.

Choice of Beef + Lobster Mac&Cheese (other option was kale/spinach manicotti - kale's not food...)

Wedge (?) salad - pile of lettuce with green onions and bacon on top

White or wheat roll

Cookie - served on the tray with the main meal

Mint.

Linens (*because some people evidently care about this) - didn't notice if they were present or not to be honest.

Meal was served from the cart, which doesn't bother me. And there was light to moderate chop during the entire service, so the cart likely helped.

Beef was the smallest piece of beef I've ever seen described as a main. It was only slightly larger than a golf ball. Fairly overdone of course, but flavor greatly enhanced (to edible level) by adding butter and pepper. Mac and cheese was pretty good, especially after the onions and bacon from the salad were scooped up and added to the mac.

LUS service standard with only one FA doing the dinner service has to go...so slow.
Sounds like a pretty messy service to me. Cookie on the tray with the meal is never acceptable, nor is a water only PDB.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-DFW
6AM
Breakfast

One of the lamest AA flights to date:

Water/OJ only as PDB, but the FC FA had her tea all nicely made for herself in the galley.
Pre-order of the Strata was acknowledged after takeoff along with my drink of choice. Here's where things get strange.......

Drinks are served to all pax (except for me, see below) on the tray at the same time.....lazy but whatever.

I get my drink of choice and everyone else gets served breakfast, except for me and the person sitting next to me (he had declined the meal, but again my pre-order was already acknowledged). I wait patiently not knowing why.....I'm being served last. Then I see the pilots get their meals so I wave down the FA and mention I never got the meal and she looks puzzled. Says she thought I didn't want to eat (are you kidding....we just confirmed I pre-ordered like 20 minutes ago with eye contact). I remind her it's my seatmate that was not eating and that I had pre-ordered the Strata. She comes back quickly with luke warm food and biscuit....no choice of bread as others were offered.

After the meal I ask for a champagne and a water......what does she come back with? Champagne MIXED with water and a stir stick. She could tell my confusion as she was handing me the drink and said: "Oh you didn't want them mixed together did you?" I said No, I just wanted a glass of water on the side with the champagne (yes I know it's sparkling wine).

Then I see the other FA, who was helping out in front, moving around all of the navy blue linens which should have been set down, but she just stuffed in some compartment in the galley.

Then no service or cabin check ins for well over an hour.

Such a pathetic flight I actually couldn't wait to get off this plane this crew was so bad. I have literally had a better experience at the Applebee's in Brooklyn....AA can't find anyone better???

Last edited by AANYC1981; Nov 20, 2015 at 10:40 am
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by AANYC1981

Then I see the other FA, who was helping out in front, moving around all of the navy blue linens which should have been set down, but she just stuffed in some compartment in the galley.
I can't tell you how many times I seen this. Just absolutely pathetic. Didn't LAA used to set linens onto the actual tray table on some flights (such as AFS service) when the service was done in courses, not from a tray?

How have the LAA FAs gotten so lazy so quickly? It makes no sense.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
How have the LAA FAs gotten so lazy so quickly? It makes no sense.
Starts at the top.

Also - why have they added bacon to the salads? I didn't realize they'd done this. How stupid and incredibly annoying! Are they trying to make up for how much the salads still suck compared to before, so they think by adding bacon they can hide how disgusting it still is? Really disappointing. It's nice that they still offer a veg entree - but what the hell's the point of offering a veg entree if you can't even eat a veg side salad with it? And I get that the entree salads come with the meat on the side so they can be eaten vegetarian - but they are not of sufficient quality or quantity to serve as a main meal. LCC management continuing to wet the bed as per usual. I've sent off an email to CS - I'm sure I'll get nothing more than a form letter in return. Can't wait. I wish there was a way to pawn off stickers on ebay because they're worth absolutely zilch at the moment.

Last edited by no1cub17; Nov 19, 2015 at 9:39 am
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, Marriott
Upcoming trip in December. DFW-SLC Lunch choices probably leaning toward ravioli.

Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by kr777
Upcoming trip in December. DFW-SLC Lunch choices probably leaning toward ravioli.

Meal selection is working again??
Old Nov 20, 2015, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nyczreklis
Meal selection is working again??
It's still working at booking, just not in the manage reservations window.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 5:28 am

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by chrisny2
Agreed. I never take the mixed nuts and I wish they rotated different little pre-meal snacks.
I don't take the nuts any longer either. The last flight I was on, I saw the FA scooping them into the dishes with her bare hands. She then swept the fallen nuts from the top of the filthy cart, right into the nut dishes and then proceeded to serve them. I was in the first row directly behind the galley, and saw her doing this on the cart they had pushed in front of the jump seat by the front door. What a terrible server! I hope she doesn't do that at home for any guests she may have.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 5:34 am

That sounds like a flight I had from TPA to DFW. No PBD and it took one and a half hours into the flight before the first drink came. The lead flight attendant hid in the galley almost the entire flight. She had a underling doing the service who worked like a turtle trying to get out of the water.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hertz Five Star
PBI-PHL
AA 1983
November 19, 2015

PDB

Front to back orders
Linens
Mixed nuts (with three pistachios this time, 3x my normal experience)
Chicken with polenta OR eggplant with pasta
And finally a nice *crisp* cookie, not the fails that fall apart when you try to pick them up

FA did a great job considering the entire flight was turbulent with some major rough patches at times requiring service stoppage except for the descent
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Wrong, if you're going to correct/challenge someone make sure you know the facts. Premium transcons were about a dozen or so routes touching two coastal states in addition to DFW-ANC. JFK-LAX/SFO of course had the dedicated 762 fleet (one SFO flight was 763 however for longest time) and MIA-LAX also had consistently seen 777 & 763 equipment, but 738s also served the route. BOS-LAX & MIA-SFO also saw 763 service but it would come and go. In-flight service was INDENTICAL across transcons- two cabin 738 F in a route like RDU-LAX had the same entree selection/service as J from JFK. Only difference is certain routes had Samsung tablets (before that Archos player, before that DVD player) and Bose QC 15 (before that QC 3/QC 2/QC).

Please stick to what you know, all of you people who are new to AA don't get it and claim to be such experts and loyalists to AA when you really know very little.
I'll take that to mean you know it all in an unfriendly way at that.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by quattroking
And finally a nice *crisp* cookie, not the fails that fall apart when you try to pick them up
hmm. Personally, I hate the crisp overdone cookies - they remind me of Chips Ahoy out of a package. I'll take the warm, soft, freshly-baked consistency over crisp any day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.