Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2015 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of. This Wiki covers both AA and US flights, but as of September 2014, AA and US offers identical meal service domestically, so that part of the merger has its' harmonization completed.

Basically, in its' best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Last updated: 7/26/2015 2:33pm, MrAndy1369
Print Wikipost

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:27 am

Programs: DL PM
On a flight tonight I have a choice of the chicken with tomato and olive tapenade or cheese lasagna.

Has anyone had this chicken dish before? I usually prefer a protein, but should I steer clear of this (if I can...it's too late for me to pre-order)?
Old Jul 3, 2015, 6:02 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by TXguy
On a flight tonight I have a choice of the chicken with tomato and olive tapenade or cheese lasagna.

Has anyone had this chicken dish before? I usually prefer a protein, but should I steer clear of this (if I can...it's too late for me to pre-order)?
The chicken dish is TERRIBLE, mostly because the broccoli gets cooked to death which causes a soup of gross broccoli water to sit at the bottom of the dish. The polenta is bland and sort of spills all over the dish. AVOID. Get the lasagna instead and thank me later.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 9:04 am

I really like the chicken with tapenade dish. For a while that was a transcon dish.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Trans-con really has been ok to not very great. The new meals are not much of a change. You should try JET BLUE.

I was on AA16 yesterday, new menu, same quality, two new cheap wines, there was a Pinot Grigio from Italy and a new red from Chile. Also, service was tired, two old FA who should look for another line of work, they were rude and lazy. On top of that the cabin was so uncomfortable hot one minute then cold... I must of had 20 hot flashes during that flight. By the time we landed at JFK I was covered in sweat!!!

I had the lobster risotto that really did not go well, it seemed like a cheese soup, not much risotto and you really had to look for any type of meat. looking at my choices of a meal on my way home the menu does not seem that much different than what I've had in the past on AA trans-con.

AA Dinner Flight Menu July 8
Turmeric Paneer - this is new
Grilled Beef Filet - standard beef dish
Panko Crusted Mahi Mahi - They always offer a crusted this and that... it all taste the same.

I will hit 100,000 miles in August and move most my trans-cons to Jet Blue. The quality of the food, service, comfort of the seat, and over all cabin comfort is far superior to AA. A recent article in FORBES about Jet Blue Mint Service becoming a key player for premium trans-con service, it's becoming very popular, and with a menu like this I can see why.

JET BLUE MINT JULY DINNER SERVICE:

WELCOME TASTE
Spicy deviled egg

DELISH DISHES
Heirloom tomato salad
With burrata cheese & sourdough croutons

Corn custard & poached lobster
With corn salad & pickled chili peppers

Bison meatloaf
With quinoa salad, blueberries, roasted beets & BBQ sauce

Roasted Atlantic cod
In a tomato-caper broth with white beans & fennel
Wild mushroom & goat cheese crepe

WINES:
WHITE
Copain Tous Ensemble Chardonnay - 2013 Anderson Valley
ROSE
Lioco Indica Rose, 2014 Mendicino
REDS
Broc Eaglepont Ranch Counoise, 2013 Mendocino
Turley Juvenile Zinfandel, 2013 California
SPARKLING WINE
Roederer Estate Brut, MV, Anderson Valley

SWEET BITES:
Seasonal fruit salad

Organic chocolate ice cream
Blue Marble Ice Cream, Brooklyn, New York

Cappuccino & espresso
Brooklyn Roasting Company, Brooklyn, New York

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Hearing some _very_ nice reports from the first day of the new transcon food. Really, really positive.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum

I had these choices on two flights earlier this month. I actually thought the lasagna was quite good. Chicken was perfectly fine (most definitely not the "mystery meat" some have experienced) and not smothered in sauce. Polenta was perfectly cooked. On balance, though, I think the lasagna is a more reliable choice.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
On top of that the cabin was so uncomfortable hot one minute then cold... I must of had 20 hot flashes during that flight. By the time we landed at JFK I was covered in sweat!!!
Guess that explains your username!
Old Jul 3, 2015, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
OGG-LAX
pmAA Boeing 757-200
Lunch

Choices today were a MahiMahi or a "curry-type pasta dish" as described by the FA.
Thanks for taking one for the team. I selected the Mahi Mahi on both HNL-DFW flights later this month. AA.com says that the curry dish is "Thai Vegetable Curry served with Jasmine Rice" which sounds a little better than FA described it.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Reg (Former platinum), LANPASS
Missing Menu

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Midcons aren't due for changes until 8/1.
Sorry about my question, but what changes are beggining on 08/01?

Also, My FLL-DFW flight menu for AUG01 does not show up yet on AA.com (Dinner Service), anyone has any idea of what is more likely to be offered?

Thank You!
Old Jul 4, 2015, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by cmarin1992
Sorry about my question, but what changes are beggining on 08/01?
The menu offerings for midcon flights. This systemwide change is being carried out in two intervals.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fanjet
The menu offerings for midcon flights. This systemwide change is being carried out in two intervals.
By "systemwide" important to be clear-- that's domestic only. Unfortunately the rest of the "system" (international) no change on the horizon yet.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Something seems to be a matter with the pre-ordering system for post 8/1. On some flights one entree, the PMAA lentil chili, shows up. Others, nothing.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Longboater
Something seems to be a matter with the pre-ordering system for post 8/1. On some flights one entree, the PMAA lentil chili, shows up. Others, nothing.
Pre-order has barely had a pulse now for almost a year. It's notoriously unreliable and often simply misleading. This is nothing new.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Hello all. I'm on AA298 from HNL > LAX leaving at 9:24 p.m. on 2nd August in First. I have read on aa.com that no food is served after 8 p.m. Sure enough, I can't select a meal for this sector. Will there really be no food?!
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Yesterday, PHL-SAN in (paid) F:

- starter was mix of melons with fake-prosciutto ham (wish AA catering people would use their free tickets to travel to Italy to "spot the difference") and the ubiquitous balsamic reduction. The melon was actually surprisingly good.

- Caesar salad with parmesan shavings (and a slice of stale bread masquerading as a pseudo-crouton). Salad was fresh, got rid of the bread thing and was happy.

Mains:

Well, that's where it turned bad. As they were doing FEBO (and there is no pre-ordering on US flights), they started back to front, so those 4 paid F customers with emerald status in row 1 had no choice. By the time FA came to my friend and had she still had one of the second choice so we could get one of each. Almost wish we hadn't.

- We had both fancied that nice sounding braised short rib with mustard sauce, horseradish mash and vegetables, but the shortrib and sauce were nasty. The sauce was absolutely tasteless (and certainly not mustardy) and miles away from the sort of sticky stuff you expect if you slow braise short rib. The short rib itself was tough - incredible. Vegetables watery, mash good.

- Other option was cheese tortellini with tomato sauce. Mediocre but comparatively less bad.

Dessert: cheese plate, some cake, or sundae (which I had and was fine).

Outstanding service from the purser who came from the America West "branch" of the family and was nice, efficient, and personable.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
Pre-order has barely had a pulse now for almost a year. It's notoriously unreliable and often simply misleading. This is nothing new.
For someone who is vocal about the "horrible" meals on AA, I haven't seen you post what you been served on your flights...

BTW, would love to see your data that the Pre-Order has barely had a pulse, and is unreliable?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.