Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

No int'l. AA saaver or SWU availability 11+ days out – Being resolved? (Nov 2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No int'l. AA saaver or SWU availability 11+ days out – Being resolved? (Nov 2014)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by AA777
You seem to miss my point: that the issue discussed in this thread is not different----AAU just told you it was and everyone believed it hook, line and sinker.
If this is a sinister plan by AA, can anyone explain why US availability hasn't also completely and entirely disappeared as well? Anyone?

It seems that those who believe this is all the same issue have glossed over the fact that there's now one management group, and if the decision has been taken at the senior level to gut awards, it would have impacted both airlines. @:-)@:-)@:-)
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Microwave
If this is a sinister plan by AA, can anyone explain why US availability hasn't also completely and entirely disappeared as well? Anyone?

It seems that those who believe this is all the same issue have glossed over the fact that there's now one management group, and if the decision has been taken at the senior level to gut awards, it would have impacted both airlines. @:-)@:-)@:-)
Based on recent experiences, I would say perhaps the management group simply didn't think about the next step before taking an action and will need to be reminded that they are still running another website. Rather than updating it they will probably just close it entirely.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, MR Plat.
and nothing on for the next year
PVG/PEK/NRT-ORD or DFW

Originally Posted by StevenH123
For DFW-PVG it was:

1/20 z1
1/21 z2
1/27 z2u2
1/28 z2
2/2 u5
2/3 z2u4
2/9 z2
2/10 z2u2
2/23 z2u5
2/24 u1
2/25 z2u3

now all z0u0

Similar data for the return PVG-DFW
Old Dec 4, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
An unrelated post discussing AB award availability has been removed. The topic of this thread is definitely confined to availability issues booking AA metal awards.

~Moderator
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
If this is a sinister plan by AA, can anyone explain why US availability hasn't also completely and entirely disappeared as well?
I don't think there's any doubt that AA have made a change to their systems. They probably didn't intended to foul it up to the point that anyone noticed, but this is almost certainly part of aligning the AA & US systems so they create award bucket availability in the same way, perhaps even on a common system.

I'd be VERY, VERY surprised if they aren't taking the opportunity to tweak the algorithms to be smarter to help their business goals.

The end result of that change, once it settles down, will almost certainly be tighter controls on certain routes at certain times, and perhaps more availability in other areas we haven't noticed.

They may very well also be paving the way for more radical changes we haven't seen yet.

But the bottom line is they almost certainly haven't go to this amount of effort to simply re-implement the previous AA scheme.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bernardd
I don't think there's any doubt that AA have made a change to their systems. They probably didn't intended to foul it up to the point that anyone noticed, but this is almost certainly part of aligning the AA & US systems so they create award bucket availability in the same way, perhaps even on a common system.

I'd be VERY, VERY surprised if they aren't taking the opportunity to tweak the algorithms to be smarter to help their business goals.

The end result of that change, once it settles down, will almost certainly be tighter controls on certain routes at certain times, and perhaps more availability in other areas we haven't noticed.

They may very well also be paving the way for more radical changes we haven't seen yet.

But the bottom line is they almost certainly haven't go to this amount of effort to simply re-implement the previous AA scheme.
But all sheer speculation based on absolutely nothing, I'm sure you'd admit.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by JonNYC
But all sheer speculation based on absolutely nothing, I'm sure you'd admit.
As indeed is the speculation that this is a simple mistake which is getting slowly fixed.

Knowing more than a little about software systems and backups, the first reaction to a "simple mistake" is to restore to the last known working version and start again. You have to ask why that didn't happen quickly and cleanly in this case?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bernardd
Knowing more than a little about software systems and backups, the first reaction to a "simple mistake" is to restore to the last known working version and start again. You have to ask why that didn't happen quickly and cleanly in this case?
With high volume real-time reservation systems the concept of 'backup' and 'restore' is not as clear and clean as the sort of systems you may be familiar with.

The consequences of rolling back database changes to fix problems even if they are spotted immediately can often be worse than slowly fixing them over time.

So for me at least, the explanation is entirely consistent with my reservation system experience.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Advanatge

What you missed is the complexity of running a brand. Simply put US and AA are still separate brands to the majority of the purchasing public. With so many differences and a whole host of issues that will not be resolved until the companies are TRULY merged.

Therefore, you will continue to see things done differently at US and AA on a number if fronts for s myriad of reasons.

Cheers,
AA77$
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Advanatge
Originally Posted by Mark_T
With high volume real-time reservation systems the concept of 'backup' and 'restore' is not as clear and clean as the sort of systems you may be familiar with.

The consequences of rolling back database changes to fix problems even if they are spotted immediately can often be worse than slowly fixing them over time.

So for me at least, the explanation is entirely consistent with my reservation system experience.
But to view this issue in a vacuum of "database intricacies" is the cause not that they implemented a new set of rules that has some wicker than intended consequences can be putting our heads in the sand.

Cheers,
AA777
Old Dec 5, 2014, 8:30 am

Confirmation bias will always make it easier to find facts to buttress one's beliefs. I personally don't have a horse in this race; if they're gutting awards, shame on them, but if they're not, let's give them a chance. I'm not defending AA or angry at them, I am simply saying that a preponderance of the facts doesn't fall on the side of intentionally gutting all awards overnight.

There definitely are a lot of things going on behind the scenes. They may well have been working on updates to the way RM/YM systems release award seats. Those updates may have gone exactly as expected, but I doubt it; rest assured that a senior leadership decision to drop to zero the number of awards overnight could be implemented on both sides of the business. Every day that passes where US doesn't gut their inventory in kind is further empirical evidence that this isn't an intentional gutting. It seems far more likely to me that AA was updating a system, changing some settings, altering a process flow, or doing some other such thing, and things went bonkers. The slow trickle of reappearing seats we're seeing could be an attempt to appease angry members after an intentional gutting of the programme, or it could be the result of a manual fix because the automated system isn't working.

In the end, it's all sheer speculation as JonNYC points out. I'm just willing to give the company in the middle of an airline merger a bit of time to sort things –one thing I do believe is that this won't be the worst integration mess to hit us when it's all said and done.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 9:12 am
Suspended

One of the things that's being ignored was the flurry of posts in the middle of the thread from several members reporting that availability that they had seen before this glitch had most definitely completely disappeared (thus the impetus for the starting of this separate thread) and had then reappeared.

A good half-dozen of so members reported (obviously paraphrasing here) "back to normal for the awards I was looking at" With the "normal" still, in some/many/most cases being anything between "dismal" and "almost adequate"

Then there are those who are reporting lack of availability not related to any of this.

And, for sure, a few members saying "hey, the availability that most definitely -was- there on [the 20th or so] has most definitely -not- returned"

But that first group is certainly the majority.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:54 am

yes, i can explain.

the most severe devaluations in other programs have been to premium intl awards. seems no small coincidence that is where we can't find any availability.

i was searching for flights to asia today. i was so confused by the lack of saver availability that i stopped for a couple minutes to try to figure out what i was doing wrong. then i googled and found this thread along with others.

i haven't really looked at awards on AA metal for about a year and expected to see a plethora of options. instead, it was like a worse version of delta.bomb- something i didn't think was possible.

i am no fan of UA. in fact, the treatment i got checking into my last UA flight was so bad it was illegal (seriously)! along with the horrific cs, they eviscerated their F/J award chart.

all that said, if you want to fly their metal intl, generally, you can- and at the saver level. with AA, their CX and JAL availability, even close in, is nothing relative to what it was a year ago. so now, AA metal is AWOL and partner inventory is a fraction of what it was.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
One of the things that's being ignored was the flurry of posts in the middle of the thread from several members reporting that availability that they had seen before this glitch had most definitely completely disappeared (thus the impetus for the starting of this separate thread) and had then reappeared.

A good half-dozen of so members reported (obviously paraphrasing here) "back to normal for the awards I was looking at" With the "normal" still, in some/many/most cases being anything between "dismal" and "almost adequate"

Then there are those who are reporting lack of availability not related to any of this.

And, for sure, a few members saying "hey, the availability that most definitely -was- there on [the 20th or so] has most definitely -not- returned"

But that first group is certainly the majority.
I do see that in some markets people are still seeing wholesale "blank (calendar) pages" of milesaavers that -do- seem to have not returned to old (a month ago) levels-- still a little fuzzy there.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:12 pm

I realised one thing while searching for award seats - for example, if I check Sept 12 for CDG-JFK on AA45, the booking system will tell me that there is no J award space. However, if I search for CDG-YYZ or CDG-SJU (via JFK), system will show that there is J award space on AA45. Perhaps if one starts a booking ex-Mexico, Canada or the Caribbean to Europe or vice-versa, those seats will appear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.