Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2022, 3:12 pm

Tracker

Sweet - 90k rollover is amazing. I have only around 12k but it’s showing as counting toward the $20,40,50k 5k loyalty point bonuses… Also effective 7th
Old Sep 10, 2022, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Dynastar
If there's any question about spend carry-over, I got the upgrade offer and a few days after the upgrade took place (September 7th) my spend tracker changed to the following.

Interesting.... the LP bonus is based on the status year rather than the anniversary year.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by TRAVEL4SCUBA
There are going to be so many EXP with this new loyalty scheme , not sure it will even be worth much. Can essentially hit EXP with just booking some stays on AA Hotels and doing some shopping. There will be a flood of new EXP this coming year
This has been said before, but flyertalkers are not a good measurement of the general public. Most people don’t fly enough to care to even put in the effort to rack up this many loyalty points, others will prefer delta or United because they’re not located in an AA hub, I bet the number of EXPs doesn’t change more than 20% at the most.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by donotblink
This has been said before, but flyertalkers are not a good measurement of the general public. Most people don’t fly enough to care to even put in the effort to rack up this many loyalty points, others will prefer delta or United because they’re not located in an AA hub, I bet the number of EXPs doesn’t change more than 20% at the most.
And if it does increase .... so what? I'm not worried about people racking up LPs using credit cards/hotels/etc. because they aren't flying and hence not competing with me for the benefits I care about.
dw, DaveH, Juanefny and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 7:54 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by dc10forlife
And if it does increase .... so what? I'm not worried about people racking up LPs using credit cards/hotels/etc. because they aren't flying and hence not competing with me for the benefits I care about.
Don't disagree, but while that may be the case 95% of the time, the one time it counts (let’s say trying to grab the last seat of the night during IROPS) and one of those typical non-flyer EXPs is on the flight, it could definitely matter.

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Barclays appears to make the upgrade when your statement closes. They told me my account will be upgraded to silver today (9/7) which is also when my statement closes for the month.
Same on my end. The app is telling me that the card is in the mail.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by yoyo
quick question: for one who doesn't see hitting 30 segments there is no benefit of getting the the silver card, right?
3x miles for AA purchases (vs. 2x on Red)
$25/day for inflight food and beverage purchases (vs. 25% off on Red)
$50 annual credit for Wi-Fi ($25 on Red)

The annual fee is an extra $100. Since the benefits are mostly for those who actually travel on AA, you'll have to calculate if Silver is worth it. If you book $5k worth of AA travel, then it's an extra 5k miles. If you value them at 1.5 cents, that's $75, plus the extra $25 in Wi-Fi that pays for the annual fee. The inflight food/beverage is not worth much if you're EXP and regularly get upgraded or sit in MCE. If you're PlatPro and get upgraded less, that will be worth it once BoB comes back with more substantial offerings.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by upinsmoke
$25/day for inflight food and beverage purchases (vs. 25% off on Red)
$50 annual credit for Wi-Fi ($25 on Red)

The annual fee is an extra $100. Since the benefits are mostly for those who actually travel on AA, you'll have to calculate if Silver is worth it. If you book $5k worth of AA travel, then it's an extra 5k miles. If you value them at 1.5 cents, that's $75, plus the extra $25 in Wi-Fi that pays for the annual fee. The inflight food/beverage is not worth much if you're EXP and regularly get upgraded or sit in MCE. If you're PlatPro and get upgraded less, that will be worth it once BoB comes back with more substantial offerings.
Also the companion pass is good for two companions instead of one. That could cover the annual fee by itself
Old Sep 11, 2022, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by jsimon926
Interesting.... the LP bonus is based on the status year rather than the anniversary year.
It was this way too even for the EQM/EQD Bonus. (And my pre-existing spend also counted the year I upgraded.)

Originally Posted by dc10forlife
I don't think these people aren't flying, I think they're occasional flyers who earn tons of LPs. Maybe not that many, I don't know. But upgrades etc are sorted by LP, so yes, it could definitely matter.

Given the loss of travel protections from Mastercard, I would not advise putting trips on your Aviator. There are some people who only have one or two cards, of course, but I doubt that's true of most of the folks reading this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nall
Given the loss of travel protections from Mastercard, I would not advise putting trips on your Aviator. There are some people who only have one or two cards, of course, but I doubt that's true of most of the folks reading this.
What's the loss? My understanding is the Aviator Silver has trip interruption and cancelation insurance up to $5k per trip plus baggage delay insurance.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
What's the loss? My understanding is the Aviator Silver has trip interruption and cancelation insurance up to $5k per trip plus baggage delay insurance.
Where can I find the info?
Old Sep 11, 2022, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by MrJBoy

Here!
MrJBoy and 355F1 like this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVEL4SCUBA
There are going to be so many EXP with this new loyalty scheme , not sure it will even be worth much. Can essentially hit EXP with just booking some stays on AA Hotels and doing some shopping. There will be a flood of new EXP this coming year
You're assuming the flying public is going to spend money in specific ways on specific items just to be an AA elite. They're not going to. In fact, most current AA elites likely don't even understand how the new program works, if they're even aware of it.
dw likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
Here's one of the articles about it:

https://frequentmiler.com/barclays-i...on-many-cards/

Citi did it too (see https://frequentmiler.com/citi-destr...-in-september/), apparently it came from Mastercard.

Visa protections are AFAIK all still intact, and Amex has actually improved some of theirs.
MrJBoy likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 12:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
I believe it was mentioned a few posts above but like to add the data point that my account has changed to silver (even though my card tracker still says my card is NOT shipped yet). Looks like the spend transferred over correctly as well. I wonder how they will do the additional annual fee since i've only had red aviator for ~4months
Old Sep 13, 2022, 7:26 am

Interesting moment on my flight this AM

During the usual in flight spiel the FA said - “and because of our new loyalty points, all of those 50k bonus miles are also loyalty points.”

I confirmed when he was walking around “well all miles are loyalist points so it should count”

I had thought only base spend counted as LP - am I wrong? Or is the FA wrong or misleading people for more referral $s?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.