Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2022, 7:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by lipoff
I have a couple questions about the AAdvantage Aviator Silver Mastercard; I've tried searching the forum and wiki and I can't seem to find the answers, so thought I'd ask them here:
As we have a master thread for this card, I'll go ahead and merge your question in.

~Moderator
Old May 24, 2022, 8:01 am

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
I've gone back a number of pages on this thread and am still a bit unclear as I seem to see conflicting information from different people.

I have the red card. According to the spend counter, I am at $14k spend until October 31 (??) for my companion cert. I now have the offer to upgrade to the silver card. The main question I have is whether my $14k spend so far will still be there towards the companion cert and towards the bonus LPs? And is the bonus LP counter separate from the companion counter?
Companion Cert qualification earning period is based on your anniversary year timing. Silver card spend bonuses will be based on Status qualification year (Mar-Feb). In this transition year to the LP program, we are getting the most recent Jan and Feb included as well, so 14 months. So your 2022 YTD spend should carry over if you upgrade to Silver for LP bonus purposes. It will likely be less than $14K as I am assuming that some of that spend took place Oct-Dec 2021.
Old May 24, 2022, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by ramcm7
Companion Cert qualification earning period is based on your anniversary year timing. Silver card spend bonuses will be based on Status qualification year (Mar-Feb). In this transition year to the LP program, we are getting the most recent Jan and Feb included as well, so 14 months. So your 2022 YTD spend should carry over if you upgrade to Silver for LP bonus purposes. It will likely be less than $14K as I am assuming that some of that spend took place Oct-Dec 2021.
Thanks. I called also and they confirmed the spend will carry forward for both purposes.
DaveH and 355F1 like this.
Old May 30, 2022, 7:47 pm

I'm coming up on my 1 year anniversary with the Red card. I hardly ever use the card and would like to product change to the no annual fee card, has anyone had any luck doing this recently. Also when will the annual fee on my Red card start? I was on the offer with the first year annual fee waived.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 9:15 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Reward Miles and LPs are 2 different things

I had a trip cancelled and after a $740 refund my miles earned took a -2178 hit. I only spent $1,352 dollars this month so my statement closed .
Miles earned for this period zero so Barclays didn’t report any miles to American Airlines.

my statement reads miles earned with American -2178.
other non American purchases 1337

while I didn’t earn miles due to the refunded ticket my argument is that I should still earn 1,352 LPs for the $1,352 I spent this month. And Barclays should report 0 miles earned and 1,352 LPs earned instead of nothing at all . Am I right ? Should I still earn the LPs as Miles are not LPs ?
or even the -740 LPs from the ticket refund would still be 612. Is it right ? Any advice ? Not even worth arguing ?
Old Jun 6, 2022, 12:27 am

Programs: American Airlines - Executive Platinum / Marriott - Ambassador
Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican
I had a trip cancelled and after a $740 refund my miles earned took a -2178 hit. I only spent $1,352 dollars this month so my statement closed .
Miles earned for this period zero so Barclays didn’t report any miles to American Airlines.

while I didn’t earn miles due to the refunded ticket my argument is that I should still earn 1,352 LPs for the $1,352 I spent this month. And Barclays should report 0 miles earned and 1,352 LPs earned instead of nothing at all . Am I right ? Should I still earn the LPs as Miles are not LPs ?
or even the -740 LPs from the ticket refund would still be 612. Is it right ? Any advice ? Not even worth arguing ?
My Barclay's miles always post Separately... Purchases, AA Purchases, aa bonus and hotel/car bonus. The breakdown is also listed on the statement, so the negative should only be in AA Purchases and bonus. I would reach out to Barclay's on that or if the breakout on your statement is correct reach out to AA and show them your statement.
D3Kingg likes this.

Last edited by pwendell; Jun 6, 2022 at 12:32 am
Old Jun 6, 2022, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican

I have a similar situation. Agents can see there's a discrepancy when I walk through it with them, however it still isn't reconciled properly, after two months of an open case file. Have spent easily 20-30 hours on it, including multiple calls.

I'll probably give up at this point because it's only ~ 300 LP hit for me. But it's still annoying. And always in the back of mind it's going to be a continuous problem when I have a negative AA balance for the month.
D3Kingg likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
I have a similar situation. Agents can see there's a discrepancy when I walk through it with them, however it still isn't reconciled properly, after two months of an open case file. Have spent easily 20-30 hours on it, including multiple calls.

I'll probably give up at this point because it's only ~ 300 LP hit for me. But it's still annoying. And always in the back of mind it's going to be a continuous problem when I have a negative AA balance for the month.
Thanks for the reply. Not worth the time. In the meantime I’m using citi Aadvantage this month as well to keep some LPs coming in.
cmtlatitudes likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 9:42 am

Time to get AA miles from paying annual fee - Aviator Red

Hi All!

Approximately how long does it take for the 60k bonus to post to my AA account after I pay off the first purchase + annual fee? Thanks!
Old Jun 8, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage EP, Bonvoy Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Fertmd
Hi All!

Approximately how long does it take for the 60k bonus to post to my AA account after I pay off the first purchase + annual fee? Thanks!
First, you have up to 90 days (but sometimes it's 120 days with some offers) on the fee, AND THEN "Please allow 4-6 weeks for bonus AAdvantage® miles to be deposited into your AAdvantage® Account after the qualifying purchase(s) have posted to your Card Account and your annual fee has been paid in full. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice."

Mine was much faster - it really depends on timing.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 11:24 am

Ok! I plan on purchasing something on the day I get the card and paying it all same day. So hopefully I don't have to wait too long!
Old Jun 9, 2022, 4:17 pm

I called Barclays and they got me in touch with American. It was good customer service. I refunded a $750 ticket last month and Barclays didn’t report anything because I earned 0 rewards miles but I told them since I still spent $1,300 dollars last month i should have still received 1,300 LPs as miles and LPs are 2 different things. A small amount of LPs but you never know down the road at the end of Feb next year if you’re going to be just shy of the next status. They are looking into it. Whatever.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
As a datapoint: my $20k spend threshold was achieved on 05/03 and the 5k LPs posted to my account today (6/10). So just over 5 weeks (and under the 6-8 weeks published timeline).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 17, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
I got an offer of 1000 LP after any purchase on my (basically unused) aviator red. The fine print says the account has to remain open to get the points. I guess this is a preemptive retention offer?

I also have the offer to upgrade to silver. I’m planning to cancel it anyway I think. I have the citi exec, and can’t think of any reason to keep an aviator open.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 10:39 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Bonus for upgrading to red?

Is there ever a bonus from Barclays for upgrading an Aviator Blue card to Red? I plan to do this for the checked bag, but the first flight where I need that isn't imminent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.