Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)

Thread referred to: Devaluation, new tiers, oneworld Explorer award gone, etc. 8 April 2014

Without any prior notification, American Airlines announced on 8 April 2014 some significant AAdvantage program rescissions and devaluations, effective immediately:

• oneworld Explorer awards can no longer be claimed; (pre-existing awards will be honored)

• Stopovers at North American gateways for international partner award tickets were eliminated

• AAnytime awards now reflect variable, demand-based pricing

• US Dividend Miles North Asia premium awards have repriced

Important Information

AAnytime Awards: Effective April 8, 2014, for tickets issued for travel starting June 1, 2014, we have updated award levels. We will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014. For award bookings after April 8 for travel between April 8 and June 1, 2014, these award mileage levels will apply.

oneworld Explorer Awards are no longer available for award booking. We will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014.
This thread is specifically to vent and offer ways for readers to protest or complain.

Possibilities for action / communication:

Originally Posted by hillrider
Here's what you can do, as stated by the U.S. Supreme Court in its recent case (Source: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...2-462_p8k0.pdf page 13)

Congress has given the Department of Transportation (DOT) the general authority to prohibit and punish unfair and deceptive practices in air transportation and in the sale of air transportation, 49 U.S.C. §41712(a) , and Congress has specifically authorized the DOT to investigate complaints relating to frequent flyer programs. See FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, §408(6), 126 Stat. 87. Pursuant to these provisions, the DOT regularly entertains and acts on such complaints.
It is your duty to enter a complaint with the DOT at http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/CP_AirlineService.htm. You can even quote this passage from the U.S. Supreme Court.
Sample communication to USDOT here.

Originally Posted by ooshawn
Just wrote an unhappy letter to AA/USAir execs (all email addresses I could find), if you want to feel free to use/build off of the following:
douglas.parker<at>usairways.com,
sean.bentel<at>aa.com,
tom.horton<at>aa.com ?
Customer.Relations<at>aa.com,
ken.fischer<at>usairways.com,
robert.isom<at>usairways.com,
suzanne.rubin<at>aa.com
Corporate structure: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/corporateInformation/facts/structure.jsp

Originally Posted by MyTravels
USPS:
<Executive Name>
P.O. Box 619616
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
I think I'm in the same boat. I'm not sure the USDOT really cares unless it impacts passenger safety etc. and I may choose to keep my powder dry for a future occasion. OTOH, some volume of communication from members - particularly valued members - may help the new AA improve their communication process, anyway.

The changes are basically coming: the justification of current AA and US FFPs and creation of unitary policies prior to the full FFP et al merger apparently will be incremental instead of coming at us in one mass. But come they will; it's inevitable.

Some will actually like some of the changes (because some are likely to reward their particular kind of flying, meaning high revenue / high value, most likely), others will hate them, and most of us will generally repudiate change that feels imposed on with no participation or ownership - that's nothing new.
This I agree with. The more elites make it clear that this is not acceptable, the better we may be off in the future when AA decides to make changes.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Andaz5
I just booked a business saver award for winter break DEC - JAN to Miami... The only flights that showed up were US.:td
Yep. Domestically they push you on to US garbage flights through CLT and PHL. Forget about anything direct. Screw up routing to south and central America as well because you can't get anything direct to MIA to connect out on.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:02 pm

I had a great 20 year run with AAdvantage but it looks like it's over. I usually travel peak dates. In the early years I was able to get to the Caribbean for Christmas or Presidents week for 30,000 miles by planning 330 days out. Then over the years it became 60,000 then 70,000 for an AAnytime ticket. Today I looked and NYC-SXM for Christmas is now 130,000 miles for coach!! That's an 85% increase. I have lifetime plat from 4M miles but I have no loyalty to AA after this.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Schutzee
Today I looked and NYC-SXM for Christmas is now 130,000 miles for coach!! That's an 85% increase. I have lifetime plat from 4M miles but I have no loyalty to AA after this.
Your example is particularly egregious given that the actual revenue ticket prices aren't even comparably high. I just searched some dates for fun such as departing 12/22 and returning 12/30 direct, JFK to SXM and revenue tickets are $630 on AA. If AA is valuing their own miles at 0.5 CPM then we are in trouble!
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
DOT complaint sent and receipt acknowledged.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by sinanju
DOT complaint sent and receipt acknowledged.
I'm usually very much in favor of grass roots activism but I think in this instance complaints to any government entity are utterly fruitless.

This is the same government that approved the merger (despite overwhelming consumer opposition) partially on the case made by AA that they could not survive as a stand alone airline which was completely discredited when AA posted their highest quarterly profit ever.

The only way to get AA to listen is to hit them in the wallet and at this moment the easiest and fastest way of achieving this is to cancel any Citibank credit card linked to AAdvantage. Not traveling on AA is obviously also a good idea but the effects of that will not be as immediate as canceling the credit cards.

Individual citizens in this country have no political power.

THE ONLY POWER YOU HAVE IS AS A CONSUMER - WHERE AND HOW YOU SPEND YOUR MONEY. USE THAT POWER BEFORE IT IS SOON TAKEN AWAY.

Taken away in the form of the vast majority of air travel dominated by the remaining 3 legacy carriers leaving the citizen without even the economic clout to spend their money, among other industries.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
Before taking your business away use all public forums to let AA know this kind of behavior won't fly - tweet about, facebook, etc... they have to know they are in danger of losing loyal customers and they may act differently going forward.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by avm2806
Before taking your business away use all public forums to let AA know this kind of behavior won't fly - tweet about, facebook, etc... they have to know they are in danger of losing loyal customers and they may act differently going forward.
To whom are AA going to lose loyal customers? All the major players (DL, UA, now AA) are all devaluing their FF programs and they know that we as consumers have very little to no choice.

They have us all by the short and curlies and there's nothing that can be done short of NOT GIVING THEM YOUR MONEY!
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:40 pm

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if there has been major collusion on the part of the airline executives to implement their FF changes around the same time.

If that were the case, then could there be an anti-competitive case brought against the airlines through the Justice Dept?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by povertyjetset
To whom are AA going to lose loyal customers? All the major players (DL, UA, now AA) are all devaluing their FF programs and they know that we as consumers have very little to no choice.

They have us all by the short and curlies and there's nothing that can be done short of NOT GIVING THEM YOUR MONEY!
Umm, take me for instance. I live 3 miles from DAL and 20 miles from DFW. Wright Amendment is gone this October which makes me more likely to fly WN to LAX/LGA/MDW than AA.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by avm2806
I have written to customer service to express my disappointment with the degradation of the loyalty program and indicated that I am no longer loyal to AA as a result.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
Umm, take me for instance. I live 3 miles from DAL and 20 miles from DFW. Wright Amendment is gone this October which makes me more likely to fly WN to LAX/LGA/MDW than AA.
Then I applaud you, sir or madame, for voting with your wallet or pocketbook.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyerhog
This is one of the pitfalls of social media. There's only so much you can say within 200 characters or less. Do something more concrete like writing a letter or cancelling your AA cards.
Perhaps letting Citibank know of your displeasure on their bait and switch credit card programs would be helpful. They've been pushing the Citi Exec with the 100,000 mile sign up incredibly hard for the last three months, and now that will now get you nearly nothing in return. Seems dishonest.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
The [email protected] email address bounces.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by sinanju
The [email protected] email address bounces.
He was the CEO two CEOs ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.