Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)

Thread referred to: Devaluation, new tiers, oneworld Explorer award gone, etc. 8 April 2014

Without any prior notification, American Airlines announced on 8 April 2014 some significant AAdvantage program rescissions and devaluations, effective immediately:

• oneworld Explorer awards can no longer be claimed; (pre-existing awards will be honored)

• Stopovers at North American gateways for international partner award tickets were eliminated

• AAnytime awards now reflect variable, demand-based pricing

• US Dividend Miles North Asia premium awards have repriced

Important Information

AAnytime Awards: Effective April 8, 2014, for tickets issued for travel starting June 1, 2014, we have updated award levels. We will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014. For award bookings after April 8 for travel between April 8 and June 1, 2014, these award mileage levels will apply.

oneworld Explorer Awards are no longer available for award booking. We will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014.
This thread is specifically to vent and offer ways for readers to protest or complain.

Possibilities for action / communication:

Originally Posted by hillrider
Here's what you can do, as stated by the U.S. Supreme Court in its recent case (Source: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...2-462_p8k0.pdf page 13)

Congress has given the Department of Transportation (DOT) the general authority to prohibit and punish unfair and deceptive practices in air transportation and in the sale of air transportation, 49 U.S.C. §41712(a) , and Congress has specifically authorized the DOT to investigate complaints relating to frequent flyer programs. See FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, §408(6), 126 Stat. 87. Pursuant to these provisions, the DOT regularly entertains and acts on such complaints.
It is your duty to enter a complaint with the DOT at http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/CP_AirlineService.htm. You can even quote this passage from the U.S. Supreme Court.
Sample communication to USDOT here.

Originally Posted by ooshawn
Just wrote an unhappy letter to AA/USAir execs (all email addresses I could find), if you want to feel free to use/build off of the following:
douglas.parker<at>usairways.com,
sean.bentel<at>aa.com,
tom.horton<at>aa.com ?
Customer.Relations<at>aa.com,
ken.fischer<at>usairways.com,
robert.isom<at>usairways.com,
suzanne.rubin<at>aa.com
Corporate structure: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/corporateInformation/facts/structure.jsp

Originally Posted by MyTravels
USPS:
<Executive Name>
P.O. Box 619616
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, UA Gold, HH Lifetime DIA, WoH Globalist
IMHO, impacting inventory should be the least of AA's worries.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I think AA has a decent partner booking engine. I am comparing it DL and US of course. I also think AA has an interest in making more partners available for online booking so as to reduce the need of call center employees.
Yes, better than DL and US but not UA which I've used several times to book partner awards, several with free international stovers.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:56 pm

Just saw the link the previous poster's DOT letter. Thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by povertyjetset
Yes, better than DL and US but not UA which I've used several times to book partner awards, several with free international stovers.
Then it won't be abysmal right?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Given the nature of the changes it is hard to imagine how they could have given notice without triggering a huge number of redemptions that could have had a significant impact on inventory ...
It's their problem to figure their way around that while still not treating people poorly.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:04 pm

Then it won't be abysmal right?
OK let's call DL and US abysmal and AA's marginally better... lousy.

For me personally, however, it was abysmal because I needed several award flights on each of those airlines that have never been bookable online.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by jasondc
You guys need to get over this. Frequent flyer program terms and conditions all say that airlines can unilaterally make changes or even shut a program down. At their will. You are paying for air transportation. That's what you get when you buy a plane ticket. Nowhere in your contract does it say benefits will always be the same. Deal with it and move on
Bait and switch.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:09 pm

You must be kidding if you think the next set of "enhancements (Orwellian double-speak if there ever were)" won't happen til the end of this year.
This is why I'm burning all my miles now. I'm free! Thanks AA for some great years of awesome travel experiences. During the past year or so, I've felt like you've bent me over and shoved it in. There's no loyalty left.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shoodawg
This is why I'm burning all my miles now. I'm free! Thanks AA for some great years of awesome travel experiences. During the past year or so, I've felt like you've bent me over and shoved it in. There's no loyalty left.
Where will you go to?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:14 pm

This is why I'm burning all my miles now.
Me too and I just got a 60k Explorer award before the deadline. Problem is I've only got 23k left and I had been planning to come back from Europe on a separate off peak saver award. AS IF!

I saw the writing on the wall for all programs a few years ago. I had Delta silver for several years in a row and it was great the first year or two then started to lose benefits very rapidly. I just extrapolated that experience to all remaining legacy carries. Lo and behold...

I'm free! Thanks AA for some great years of awesome travel experiences. During the past year or so, I've felt like you've bent me over and shoved it in. There's no loyalty left.
Didn't you see the optional K-Y next to the checked baggage option?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:15 pm

Where will you go to?
First off, I'll be burning all air miles. Then, I'll be flying much less. Then when I fly it will be all about the best schedule at the lowest cost. No more loyalty. That game is over.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:17 pm

Me too and I just got a 60k Explorer award before the deadline. Problem is I've only got 23k left and I had been planning to come back from Europe on a separate off peak saver award. AS IF!

I saw the writing on the wall for all programs a few years ago. I had Delta silver for several years in a row and it was great the first year or two then started to lose benefits very rapidly. I just extrapolated that experience to all remaining legacy carries. Lo and behold...

Didn't you see the optional K-Y next to the checked baggage option?
KY might just be a nice little option they should start offering!!!
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Perche
Bait and switch.
Exactly - right after the bonus promotion to buy miles. And wasn't there a recent new Citi card promotion?

Sure the airlines have the prerogative to change their programs at will. In practice, however, this is just simply not done except in extenuating circumstances, i.e., Malev's rather rapid dissolution a couple years back.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First off, I'll be burning all air miles. Then, I'll be flying much less. Then when I fly it will be all about the best schedule at the lowest cost. No more loyalty. That game is over.
Fair enough, I hope you will consider LCC's just to spite the biggies. I plan on doing that.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:24 pm

Where will you go to?
That's the $64k question at the moment for probably 75% of the people who post to this website.

Some, myself included, say AS as you can earn with Skyteam and OW partners. However, as DL unfortunately makes aggressive moves into SEA I foresee another one biting the dust in the not too distant future. Had been hoping it would have been AA/AS merger if there had to be one but alas...

Big problem with AS is that it appears that for redeeming on partners they only offer awards between the US and other regions and also the lack of one ways on Skyteam airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.