Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)

Thread referred to: Devaluation, new tiers, oneworld Explorer award gone, etc. 8 April 2014

Without any prior notification, American Airlines announced on 8 April 2014 some significant AAdvantage program rescissions and devaluations, effective immediately:

• oneworld Explorer awards can no longer be claimed; (pre-existing awards will be honored)

• Stopovers at North American gateways for international partner award tickets were eliminated

• AAnytime awards now reflect variable, demand-based pricing

• US Dividend Miles North Asia premium awards have repriced

Important Information

AAnytime Awards: Effective April 8, 2014, for tickets issued for travel starting June 1, 2014, we have updated award levels. We will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014. For award bookings after April 8 for travel between April 8 and June 1, 2014, these award mileage levels will apply.

oneworld Explorer Awards are no longer available for award booking. We will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014.
This thread is specifically to vent and offer ways for readers to protest or complain.

Possibilities for action / communication:

Originally Posted by hillrider
Here's what you can do, as stated by the U.S. Supreme Court in its recent case (Source: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...2-462_p8k0.pdf page 13)

Congress has given the Department of Transportation (DOT) the general authority to prohibit and punish unfair and deceptive practices in air transportation and in the sale of air transportation, 49 U.S.C. §41712(a) , and Congress has specifically authorized the DOT to investigate complaints relating to frequent flyer programs. See FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, §408(6), 126 Stat. 87. Pursuant to these provisions, the DOT regularly entertains and acts on such complaints.
It is your duty to enter a complaint with the DOT at http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/CP_AirlineService.htm. You can even quote this passage from the U.S. Supreme Court.
Sample communication to USDOT here.

Originally Posted by ooshawn
Just wrote an unhappy letter to AA/USAir execs (all email addresses I could find), if you want to feel free to use/build off of the following:
douglas.parker<at>usairways.com,
sean.bentel<at>aa.com,
tom.horton<at>aa.com ?
Customer.Relations<at>aa.com,
ken.fischer<at>usairways.com,
robert.isom<at>usairways.com,
suzanne.rubin<at>aa.com
Corporate structure: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/corporateInformation/facts/structure.jsp

Originally Posted by MyTravels
USPS:
<Executive Name>
P.O. Box 619616
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jasondc
You guys need to get over this. Frequent flyer program terms and conditions all say that airlines can unilaterally make changes or even shut a program down. At their will. You are paying for air transportation. That's what you get when you buy a plane ticket. Nowhere in your contract does it say benefits will always be the same. Deal with it and move on
We have seen one or more version of this exact post THOUSANDS of times on FT.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by skunker
He was the CEO two CEOs ago.
Yeah... realized what was there after it bounced. I lazily copied the batch and pasted it into my To: list. Should have looked at it more closely.

Perhaps [email protected] is a good replacement?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
Perhaps letting Citibank know of your displeasure on their bait and switch credit card programs would be helpful. They've been pushing the Citi Exec with the 100,000 mile sign up incredibly hard for the last three months, and now that will now get you nearly nothing in return. Seems dishonest.
Are you kidding me? I'm pretty sure it gets you the same exact 100,000 mile business class tickets to Europe, Japan or South America it go you on Monday.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by rrgg
Time for a new hashtag, #AAHate
The tag that seems to be gaining momentum is #AAdvantageMAAsacre
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Are you kidding me? I'm pretty sure it gets you the same exact 100,000 mile business class tickets to Europe, Japan or South America it go you on Monday.
Many members have been noticing that there is much less availability recently. I think that's what the complaints have been about regarding uselessness of miles.

And while your point is well taken at present, there is every reason to believe that a much more serious devaluation is on the horizon hence the 100k will very soon be worth less.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by povertyjetset
...hence the 100k will very soon be worth less.
No they won't. <redacted>

Last edited by Microwave; Apr 10, 2014 at 2:38 am
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Let's see, the list of airlines that I can think of that have devalued miles and/or benefits in the past few years, many with little or no notice:

AA
AC
AF
AS
AV
B6
BA
DL
KL
LH
VX
WN
UA
US

Note that this is off the top of my head. I bet I could find SQ/CX/NH devaluations, too...

So as long as you stay out of those loyalty plans, you should be OK. That should be easy to do for someone based in the US, right?

In a competitive environment where all the other airlines are devaluing their miles and, over time, explicitly linking benefits to revenue as best they can, not doing so is leaving money on the table, sad to say.
You can add QF to the list - they're basically becoming a shopping discount program loosely attached to an airline.

For me, the best thing you can do if you are angry about all the devaluations is to:

- realise that 'loyalty' in these Pavlovian programs is one-way from you to the airline. They can and will continue to change the terms on which you give them that loyalty
- cancel any credit cards which go directly into a specific airline's program. That's just monthly revenue that program can count on for your misguided loyalty
- book all flights based on routing, service and price.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
<redacted>

Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
You can add QF to the list - they're basically becoming a shopping discount program loosely attached to an airline.
lol, good one.

Last edited by Microwave; Apr 10, 2014 at 2:38 am Reason: Removed quote of and reply to deleted content
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Ugh. I voted for AAdvantage as the Best FF Program for the Freddie 2014. I wish there were some way to get my vote back. Maybe, we should try to convince the Freddie Awards that they should be re-done in light of this action by AA. But, in any case, there is NEXT year and AAdvantage surely won't get my vote (although all FF programs are now pretty bad, making the competition very hard to decide). I jumped ship from MANY years at UA/CO (well over MM) because AA SEEMED more concerned about frequent travellers. I guess it's now whichever airline has the best price/schedule. I can understand devaluations, etc., but NO ADVANCED NOTICE is rude and insulting. Ms. Rubin: you should be ashamed of yourself for lacking the guts to at least get management to give a little notice.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
My revenge? Extra credit card churn...not that I need the miles.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Interesting to see that this AA YouTube video featuring Suzanne Rubin, President of the AAdvantage Loyalty Program, has comments disabled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsg6gODxQMY

I wonder why.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by diver858
My revenge? Extra credit card churn...not that I need the miles.
I'm honestly confused as to how this exacts any revenge against AA. Aren't most posts regarding credit cards focusing on canceling Citi AA cards as way to deal AA a financial blow?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
I already made PLT, will re-qualify as EXP by July.. looking back I've spent well over $350,000 on American in 3 decades. I've sat on planes often thinking why am I doing this, missing flights, hour delays, being stuck here and there, rude gate agents, service is never consistent and the food in the F cabin is pretty close to junk food. On my last flight on the A321 JFK - SFO the entertainment system did not work for the majority of the flight... and now this...

After I reach 100,000 miles for 2014 in July I'm looking for my own change... there will be a lost less American Airlines in my future plans... a lost less flying and more WEBEX.

The New American... "We cAAre less".
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
There will probably be much uglier devaluations to come, such as MileSAAver and partner airline awards. Drink up to remember the glory days, and pull the trigger now for award reservations on Oneworld partner airlines such as Cathay Pacific and Japan Airlines.

For 110000 AA miles, one can fly business class roundtrip on Cathay Pacific or Japan Airlines to Southeast Asia. For 135000 miles one can fly first class roundtrip on those airlines from the US to Southeast Asia.

Those are still pretty darn good redemption options, with decent availability (at least from LA)! .. no better time than now to burn miles on good deals like these before they are gone. AA is not shy about making changes without advance notice.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Advanatge
Let me be one of the guys who books J and F 90% of the time, and 90% of that time its to destinations outside this country, and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that services are being destroyed for us up front too independent of the devaluation of the FF Program. Its little things at first, like removal of salad cart on Flagship Service First----yes, first world problems, but when you are paying 10k+ for a seat, First World problems are real problems. Parker thinks he should charge me that price and then I should thank him for anything, even if its no better service than Y on Southwest.

Not surprised, Parker has lied to FF. You know, its possible to be honest with your customers and run a profitable company, I know...... Don't tell me one month that services will be improved, and things will be a service oriented airline, and then reduce soft product offerings and tell employees you will NOT be including entertainment options on new orders and you do not plan on "homogenizing" the fleet, meaning all of the Horton efforts to make the product consistent from plane to plane is thrown out the window.

At this point, I cannot for the life of me figure out why any international traveler booking J or F would go with any U.S. airline at this point. Can't believe I am leaving AA, but my partners and I are 100% shifting 100% of our international travel to foreign airlines, while shifting 75% of our domestic flying to B6.

Cheers,
AA777

Originally Posted by miamigrad
From my perspective, unfortunately, it would appear so. I was hopeful that the merger would allow AA to set itself apart from the other US carriers in all aspects of the airline. Instead, I personally think that this doesn't bode well for AAdvantage members.

True AA frequent flyers, and premium cabin customers, might be pleased with forthcoming changes (cabin upgrades, new planes, new services offered at the airport, etc.) But, for those that are simply chasing miles without giving substantial amount of revenue to the airline, well... I suspect that the loyalty/frequent flyer world as we knew it is over. IMHO, airlines will cater to premium customers and high revenue/profitable customers. For everyone else, AA will look and be like all other airlines.

This is just my uneducated, devalued $0.02

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.