Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)

Thread referred to: Devaluation, new tiers, oneworld Explorer award gone, etc. 8 April 2014

Without any prior notification, American Airlines announced on 8 April 2014 some significant AAdvantage program rescissions and devaluations, effective immediately:

• oneworld Explorer awards can no longer be claimed; (pre-existing awards will be honored)

• Stopovers at North American gateways for international partner award tickets were eliminated

• AAnytime awards now reflect variable, demand-based pricing

• US Dividend Miles North Asia premium awards have repriced

Important Information

AAnytime Awards: Effective April 8, 2014, for tickets issued for travel starting June 1, 2014, we have updated award levels. We will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014. For award bookings after April 8 for travel between April 8 and June 1, 2014, these award mileage levels will apply.

oneworld Explorer Awards are no longer available for award booking. We will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014.
This thread is specifically to vent and offer ways for readers to protest or complain.

Possibilities for action / communication:

Originally Posted by hillrider
Here's what you can do, as stated by the U.S. Supreme Court in its recent case (Source: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...2-462_p8k0.pdf page 13)

Congress has given the Department of Transportation (DOT) the general authority to prohibit and punish unfair and deceptive practices in air transportation and in the sale of air transportation, 49 U.S.C. §41712(a) , and Congress has specifically authorized the DOT to investigate complaints relating to frequent flyer programs. See FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, §408(6), 126 Stat. 87. Pursuant to these provisions, the DOT regularly entertains and acts on such complaints.
It is your duty to enter a complaint with the DOT at http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/CP_AirlineService.htm. You can even quote this passage from the U.S. Supreme Court.
Sample communication to USDOT here.

Originally Posted by ooshawn
Just wrote an unhappy letter to AA/USAir execs (all email addresses I could find), if you want to feel free to use/build off of the following:
douglas.parker<at>usairways.com,
sean.bentel<at>aa.com,
tom.horton<at>aa.com ?
Customer.Relations<at>aa.com,
ken.fischer<at>usairways.com,
robert.isom<at>usairways.com,
suzanne.rubin<at>aa.com
Corporate structure: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/corporateInformation/facts/structure.jsp

Originally Posted by MyTravels
USPS:
<Executive Name>
P.O. Box 619616
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:12 pm

Protect the public? Are you joking?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sinanju
Considering the volume they have to deal with, I'm not sure any other method would work.
This is one of the pitfalls of social media. There's only so much you can say within 200 characters or less. Do something more concrete like writing a letter or cancelling your AA cards.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

I think that was a typo. I fixed it for you:

"To the Wall St. banks that they were "entrusted" to protect.."
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Or... "We apologize for the short notice, this was last minute for us, too."

A bit more genuine, don't you think?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
I think that was a typo. I fixed it for you:

"To the Wall St. banks that they were "entrusted" to protect.."
This is really the source of all the problems. Major digression but I watched a Bill Moyers special on the health insurance industry a few years ago and one of the topics was something called "medical loss ratio." It is how much the insurance companies spend on care (i.e., ins. payouts, essentially) vs. their income (i.e., premiums). Wall St. wants to see this ratio decrease year after year. How does that happen? The industry can decrease the numerator (top # in the fraction = costs), increase the denominator (bottom # in the fraction = income), OR DO BOTH. If this ratio does not decrease then Wall St. dumps the stocks. And how are the health care executives paying themselves? Could it be... stock options???

Cut benefits and insurance payouts while raising premiums. Isn't this is in fact what has been happening in the health insurance industry for the last couple decades as the companies turned away from the non-profit model?

Why bring this up? Well the same model can be applied to virtually any large, publicly traded corporation like for example, I don't know, THE AIRLINE INDUSTRY. Cut costs (i.e., frequent flier benefits, in flight meals, labor contracts, give less or no miles for cheap economy tix [already in Europe and, guess what, it's coming to the U.S. of A. at a legacy carrier near you]) and raise revenue (i.e., fuel surcharges, baggage fees, more fees for redeeming miles, etc.).

The airline executives, I assume, are also significantly paid in stock options so they want their "airline cost ratio" or whatever double-speak they use to decrease much in the same way that the health care execs do solely to appease Wall St.

The future is upon us and it is bleak.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:01 pm

If I can't use my FF miles to go to destinations I want, in the classes I want, at rates that I want, then I no longer have a reason to pay ANY premium to an airline to amass those miles.

It is now schedule and timing for me.

Ironically, the more reasonable First Class domestic pricing has given me LESS reason to stay with AA. Knowing that for about the same price, I can get an almost guaranteed PDB on Delta and potential widebody service on UA, this may be the beginning of the end AA exclusivity for me. Who needs status if you can simply buy the class of service you want?

The result? I am now willing to cross shop those $2000 MIA-GRU fares and will now consider the $900 COPA fare with an hour layover in PTY. Once I get a status match, could conceivably have "free" upgrades the whole way as well.

Tell me about RPSM (apologies if I have the acronym wrong) if the more price insensitive business traveler is no longer interested in your program....

I'm not rash enough to say I will never set foot on an AA plane again, but a significant amount of loyalty and good will left today....

Best wishes in your travels,
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Or... "We apologize for the short notice, this was last minute for us, too."

A bit more genuine, don't you think?
I got a callback from AAdv CS this afternoon on an unrelated matter, but since I'd fired off an email to them, too, about this she brought it up and was very much along these lines in both tone and content. On a public forum? No chance. It just isn't the way it's done these days, for better or worse. Lots of studies suggesting you don't apologize for your business strategy, or be coy about it. If it gets really bad for them, noise-wise, maybe, but there's no way they come right out and say this.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Don't know what else we should have expected with the bottom feeders from US Air taking over a once good airline.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by MIAFlyer
If I can't use my FF miles to go to destinations I want, in the classes I want, at rates that I want, then I no longer have a reason to pay ANY premium to an airline to amass those miles.

Which is true for 90+% of the traveling public (along with pricing). Most people consider the FT crowd to be slightly loony: "you voluntarily spend MORE time on airplanes than you have to?"

Right now all the airlines are pushing the aspirational incentives out of reach as they churn out miles Zimbabwe-style on credit card bonuses, as well as removing F seats out of their cabins (BA, AA, LH, UA, and so on), trying to match benefits to revenue, and managing capacity in such a way that there is less award inventory. If "how much free stuff I get through the loyalty program" is your motivation for loyalty, I think it's quite correct to be more loyal to your pocketbook going forward, because the industry headwinds are against you.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Exactly. The legacies rely on blind loyalty. Each year they cut some more and then people are excited to get their little card which gives them a free bag or a decent seat. You can do that without any status at all on jetBlue/Virgin/Southwest--with free bags on B6/WN and Virgin having a good overall product. Plus more and more jetblue planes have free, fast wifi, and in a few months with Mint you can even get a good price for a private suite from LAX/SFO to JFK.

Support the businesses which bring you a product that serves your needs at a price you want to pay. FF programs are moving into becoming more of a rebate scheme, so it is best to prepare for further devaluations. There are only three legacies left and they are all doing the same thing regarding FF programs. One may end up the best of the worst--but not by much.
You realize WN has devalued their program twice in the past few years, right? VX changed their award chart with no notice as well.

Originally Posted by miamigrad
From my perspective, unfortunately, it would appear so. I was hopeful that the merger would allow AA to set itself apart from the other US carriers in all aspects of the airline. Instead, I personally think that this doesn't bode well for AAdvantage members.

True AA frequent flyers, and premium cabin customers, might be pleased with forthcoming changes (cabin upgrades, new planes, new services offered at the airport, etc.) But, for those that are simply chasing miles without giving substantial amount of revenue to the airline, well... I suspect that the loyalty/frequent flyer world as we knew it is over. IMHO, airlines will cater to premium customers and high revenue/profitable customers. For everyone else, AA will look and be like all other airlines.

This is just my uneducated, devalued $0.02
QFT.

I think premium customers may do quite well when it's all said and done on AA. It's the "I want caviar and Krug from flying $99 MRs" crowd that's going to hate the Brave New World.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL PM
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Since AA, pre-PAArker or current, doesn't seem to give much credence to FT..., the AA of today DOES LOVE F******K & T******R.
Are Facebook and Twitter dirty words on FlyerTalk?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I think you're fooling yourself if you think (insert random corporate C-level suit here) would have done much differently than the current CEO.
I don't think the generic airline CEO would do things all that differently in the long-run. I do think that a good exec team would give some amount of notice prior to implementing major devaluations.

Mostly I just thought that it would be entertaining to see Doug the Drunk get a fourth DUI and likely fired by the Board.

Although who knows... A certain former high ranking AMR exec was able to avoid getting fired after stripping down to his skivvies and going swimming in a hotel fountain on company time!

Take WN: they've devalued TWICE, going to RR 2.0 and then making the redemption rate worse. This is an airline with a pretty good customer service reputation- so, is their CEO driving drunk? How about UA's? How about DL's? How about LH's?
No idea. But Drinkin' Doug sure seems to enjoy it!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:37 pm

Just wrote an unhappy letter to AA/USAir execs (all email addresses I could find), if you want to feel free to use/build off of the following:
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected]
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat., HH Gold
Originally Posted by MIAFlyer

Ironically, the more reasonable First Class domestic pricing has given me LESS reason to stay with AA. Knowing that for about the same price, I can get an almost guaranteed PDB on Delta and potential widebody service on UA, this may be the beginning of the end AA exclusivity for me. Who needs status if you can simply buy the class of service you want?

The result? I am now willing to cross shop those $2000 MIA-GRU fares and will now consider the $900 COPA fare with an hour layover in PTY. Once I get a status match, could conceivably have "free" upgrades the whole way as well.

Tell me about RPSM (apologies if I have the acronym wrong) if the more price insensitive business traveler is no longer interested in your program....

I'm not rash enough to say I will never set foot on an AA plane again, but a significant amount of loyalty and good will left today....

Best wishes in your travels,
Well said! However, I think that loyalty will remain for those who do most of their travel on somebody's else dime and can get away with buying more expensive tickets.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:46 pm
Suspended

I'm not loyal. Which program should I switch to? Happy to leave more space for everyone else -- just let me know which exit to take. @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.