Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)

Thread referred to: Devaluation, new tiers, oneworld Explorer award gone, etc. 8 April 2014

Without any prior notification, American Airlines announced on 8 April 2014 some significant AAdvantage program rescissions and devaluations, effective immediately:

• oneworld Explorer awards can no longer be claimed; (pre-existing awards will be honored)

• Stopovers at North American gateways for international partner award tickets were eliminated

• AAnytime awards now reflect variable, demand-based pricing

• US Dividend Miles North Asia premium awards have repriced

Important Information

AAnytime Awards: Effective April 8, 2014, for tickets issued for travel starting June 1, 2014, we have updated award levels. We will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014. For award bookings after April 8 for travel between April 8 and June 1, 2014, these award mileage levels will apply.

oneworld Explorer Awards are no longer available for award booking. We will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014.
This thread is specifically to vent and offer ways for readers to protest or complain.

Possibilities for action / communication:

Originally Posted by hillrider
Here's what you can do, as stated by the U.S. Supreme Court in its recent case (Source: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...2-462_p8k0.pdf page 13)

Congress has given the Department of Transportation (DOT) the general authority to prohibit and punish unfair and deceptive practices in air transportation and in the sale of air transportation, 49 U.S.C. §41712(a) , and Congress has specifically authorized the DOT to investigate complaints relating to frequent flyer programs. See FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, §408(6), 126 Stat. 87. Pursuant to these provisions, the DOT regularly entertains and acts on such complaints.
It is your duty to enter a complaint with the DOT at http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/CP_AirlineService.htm. You can even quote this passage from the U.S. Supreme Court.
Sample communication to USDOT here.

Originally Posted by ooshawn
Just wrote an unhappy letter to AA/USAir execs (all email addresses I could find), if you want to feel free to use/build off of the following:
douglas.parker<at>usairways.com,
sean.bentel<at>aa.com,
tom.horton<at>aa.com ?
Customer.Relations<at>aa.com,
ken.fischer<at>usairways.com,
robert.isom<at>usairways.com,
suzanne.rubin<at>aa.com
Corporate structure: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/corporateInformation/facts/structure.jsp

Originally Posted by MyTravels
USPS:
<Executive Name>
P.O. Box 619616
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:59 am
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Not the devaluations...the NO-NOTICE strategy

The lack of notice is heinous. By undermining confidence in the stability of value - even in the very short term - this undermines consumer confidence in everything AA does.

It contradicts what I had previously understood about AA program handling and MO.

I didn't think AAdvantage could plumb the depths of these other programs but now...

This is actually WORSE than Jeff Robbo...he even gave several hours of notice of recent DL SM deval, or for the award chart change, several months of notice.

The lack of notice can only be described one way.

Suzy and co. IT IS:

:-: MEJOR EN SU CLASE :-:

Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nkrijeka
I'm not too upset about the changes tbh. They were obviously coming (yes, the no notice things sucks) and AA still, generally, has a better program than its main competitors. I think the DOT complains are a waste of time--AA can do pretty much whatever it wants with its program.
I think I'm in the same boat. I'm not sure the USDOT really cares unless it impacts passenger safety etc. and I may choose to keep my powder dry for a future occasion. OTOH, some volume of communication from members - particularly valued members - may help the new AA improve their communication process, anyway.

The changes are basically coming: the justification of current AA and US FFPs and creation of unitary policies prior to the full FFP et al merger apparently will be incremental instead of coming at us in one mass. But come they will; it's inevitable.

Some will actually like some of the changes (because some are likely to reward their particular kind of flying, meaning high revenue / high value, most likely), others will hate them, and most of us will generally repudiate change that feels imposed on with no participation or ownership - that's nothing new.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For perspective, when I joined AAdvantage in 1984, I was promised that

for 35,000 accumulated miles (that would never expire) and no cash (“award”, in english, means “free”) I would:

• fly roundrip to any US/CA destination, one stopover included, as long as a single economy-class seat was available for free (they picked up all taxes/fees);
    • flights included free meals, alcohol, and two checked bags
    • no black outs
  • sleep one night for free at a Marriott or similar;
  • and drive a midsize car for free for 2 weekend days (IIRC).
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
^^^^

Originally Posted by rrgg
Time for a new hashtag, #AAHate
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:55 pm

Anyone have any copies of their letters they'd like to share?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
I'm not leaving anytime soon. I'll give them 2-3 years and how things pan out. Otherwise, I'll either turn to Alaska Airlines or stop being loyal and buy tickets based on schedules and fares, like most people.
That was my plan too as I was previously living in SEA and will hopefully move back. But don´t you think that Alaska will soon be gone if DL has their way?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by povertyjetset
"First they came for the economy passengers but I did not speak up because I was not an economy passenger.

Then they came for the F passengers but I did not speak up because I was not an F passenger.

Then they came for the Emerald status members but I did not speak up because I was not an Emerald status member.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak up for me."

Pardon the paraphrasing as it's obviously not on the same level but if you don't act now then your precious saver awards will be the next to be axed.
I don't disagree with this at all, and I think it's absolutely worth speaking out. I just feel stuck, so in trying to make the best of it. Living in PHX and traveling a fair amount for work and pleasure, the easiest and cheapest routes for me are on US/AA. I should hit Plat this year (50k), and I've got my AA Exec for lounge access (just one 100k bonus for me).

If sAAver awards go way up, I may reevaluate. If people want to take to twitter, FB etc. and write formal complaints I say go for it. I hope the action prompts AA to take better care of their FFs, but I don't hold out hope that it will actually go that way.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:07 pm

for 35,000 accumulated miles (that would never expire) and no cash (“award”, in english, means “free”) I would:

• fly roundrip to any US/CA destination, one stopover included, as long as a single economy-class seat was available for free (they picked up all taxes/fees);
    • no black outs
Wow...How times have changed.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M

• no black outs
Those good ole days.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
Or you can petition the White House for comment. You'd actually get some Press for going the WH route rather than DOT route (there were petitions to deport Piers Morgan and Justin Bieber). It takes a lot of signatures, but it'd be interesting.
Sure. The more coverage complaints get, the better it is for consumers.

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Is it possible to undo mergers?
Yes, breaking up monopolies, oligopolies and cartels is possible, just highly improbable to be pursued by DOJ when it comes to this industry's players here.

Originally Posted by Mark_T
Given the nature of the changes it is hard to imagine how they could have given notice without triggering a huge number of redemptions that could have had a significant impact on inventory ...
Airline face a financially-destabilizing run on the mileage bank? No. The vast majority of customers don't have enough miles to redeem the most valuable OW Explorer awards; and if the awards weren't popular before they wouldn't all of a sudden become generally popular and way more of a cash drain on AA because of an announcement eliminating them x days/weeks/months/years from now. If anything, advance notice of elimination of awards or of price changes entices customers to expedite mileage purchases/earning activity and add revenue for the airline.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Bigserver1
Wow...How times have changed.
The bulk of that disappeared within a couple of years after the launch of FT in 1998.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Bigserver1
It sucks, but I'm not affected until they mess with sAAver awards
Has anyone actually tried to SEARCH for SAAver awards lately? I was trying to console myself and convince myself that this devaluation wouldn't affect me because I was like the poster I've quoted above, and am flexible on travel dates and locations. So I started searching weeks and months. The main thing is this - there is a lot of ECONOMY SAAver space. It's all over the place. But J/F? Forget about it. Domestic? Forget it. South America or Europe? No way. Month ending in -er? Not happening. Using these miles is going to be harder than I'd hoped unless I want to do a lot of Y class travel.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Using these miles is going to be harder than I'd hoped unless I want to do a lot of Y class travel.
...and unlike DL and UA, AA does not give elites complimentary upgrades on domestic coach mileage awards . Justifying taking away the AA program's superior mileage redemption options with specious comparisons to DL and UA without addressing the more generous elite benefits the other programs offer...
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
I just booked a business saver award for winter break DEC - JAN to Miami... The only flights that showed up were US.:td

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Has anyone actually tried to SEARCH for SAAver awards lately? I was trying to console myself and convince myself that this devaluation wouldn't affect me because I was like the poster I've quoted above, and am flexible on travel dates and locations. So I started searching weeks and months. The main thing is this - there is a lot of ECONOMY SAAver space. It's all over the place. But J/F? Forget about it. Domestic? Forget it. South America or Europe? No way. Month ending in -er? Not happening. Using these miles is going to be harder than I'd hoped unless I want to do a lot of Y class travel.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA lt gold, HH Diamond, marriott pl
Would be nice if they decided that apologies should be followed by a "kiss and make-up" giving the notice back, even 30 days worth...the immediate taking away of the Explorer seems to be a major issue as it was an award people saved for , some for years!
This would go a long way for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.