Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Long call wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA operates non-status, Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro combined call center as well as Executive Platinum, Concierge Key dedicated call centers.

Read on for alternatives

There can be several causes of lengthy call answering, among them irregular or off schedule operations (OSO / IROPS) caused by weather.

● Call wait times extend as OSO develop - storms, etc. particularly affecting hubs, which produce knock-on effects that may persist a day or two.

● You can see current AA travel policies: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...avelAlerts.jsp

● You can always check FlightStats current North America airport delays, for example, to see how things are - here.

● For other useful links, tools etc. see the wiki for AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources (master thread).

● Try using the AA Twitter team: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.) This can be useful and rapid.

● At times like these AA may open their OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) desk to help inconvenienced travelers. 800-446-7834 is the number, and the desk is only staffed during severe OSO. (Please call only if your travel is disrupted, of course.)

● Others have called 1.800.222.2377 (web services) and had shorter response times.

● If you speak Castilian Spanish, Chinese Mandarin, Japanese or use a TDD, you may get faster attention; see numbers below.

● You can try calling non-USA numbers, listed here:

● bchandler42 reports "During weather events, the elite line will have the option to press 1 for the callback. I use that, longest I've ever waited was about 40 minutes which was accurate with the expected time it gave me."

● giblet called Thailand using Skype (2.3 cents a minute).

● There is one call-handling nexus, with prioritized lines for Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro status holders, and separate Executive Platinum and Concierge Key "desks". Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro callers are prioritized to be answered by the same agents that respond to non-status customers.

Code:
Telephone numbers for speakers of Castilian Spanish, Chinese Mandarin, Japanese:

English (Inglés)
1-800-433-7300
7 days a week

Japanese 1-800-237-0027
6:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m. CT 7 days a week

Mandarin Chinese 1-800-492-8095
8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. CT Mon - Fri
8:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. CT Sat and Sun

Spanish 1-800-633-3711 7 días a la semana

TDD 1-800-543-1586
(for hearing impaired or deaf people /
para personas con discapacidad auditiva o del habla)
Link to archived previous posts in ARCHIVE: Long wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines (2014) [/FONT]

"Transplanted from another post, for those affected overseas.

So many ways of calling AA directly; I'd try:

AT&T.
Smartphones that will automatically switch to using Internet for calls.
Skype 2 cents per minute), Google Hangouts or other VOIP services, including WiFi or Internet.

English 800-433-7300 24 hours, Daily

Japan +81 03-4333-7675

If you are calling from outside the U.S. or Canada, you may reach U.S. Reservations by using the following procedures. (Please note that the call is not toll free.)
  • Access the website http://www.business.att.com/bt/access.jsp. The site lists eligible countries and phone numbers.
  • Dial the AT&T access number provided on the website (it is different for each country).
  • An AT&T operator or English language voice prompt will ask for the telephone number you are calling. Dial 800-433-7300 for all American Airlines departments (except AAdvantage) or dial 800-882-8880 for the AAdvantage department.
  • After the tone, enter your regular AT&T Calling Card number (not the international number). You may also use the AT&T Corporate Calling card and many other U.S. local phone company cards. MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover/Novus or Diners Club cards can be used from many countries to place calls back to the U.S.
  • For assistance, press zero or stay on the line for an AT&T operator.
Also:

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'm currently in BKK, and needed to talk to AA about my rezzy. I didn't want the local number which would be answered in who-knows-where, I wanted a direct US number. Looked around both AA.com and FT (which is how I found this thread). Found nothing particularly helpful or which worked. The back of my EXP card has only an 800 number for the U.S., no local DFW area number.

Eventually, I just dialed +1-800-xxx-xxxx, the regular 800 number on the back of my EXP card, the same way I dial regular, non-800 numbers from abroad. Voila!!! I was connected with the EXP desk, just as if I were in the U.S.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

There are several ways to contact AA's U.S. numbers by telephone from outside the U.S. & Canada:

1) Those with Skype, Google Hangouts or other VOIP internet phone providers may be able to dial various AA 800 numbers directly toll free. Direct dialing an 800 number from a landline or mobile phone overseas may or may not work, and will not be toll free.

2) Use AT&T World Traveler Service to access AA 800 numbers from overseas. Long distance charges will apply and can be paid using an AT&T Calling Card, AT&T Prepaid Phone Card, credit card, or via collect call. AAdvantage elite customers (GLD, PLT, EXP) can dial their elite 800 number using this service and AT&T's systems will recognize these numbers and put the call through without asking for a payment method.

3) Call the AMR Headquarters number at 1-817-963-1234 from any telephone. Either an operator or the IVR system can then connect you with the appropriate department.

In addition, AA provides local numbers in many countries here: Worldwide Reservations Phone Numbers

See also the AA Wiki for additional information: Contacting American Airlines

This thread was extracted from an outdated 2002 thread, and merged with recent posts on this topic.

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator
and

Link to USA airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to FlightAware “Misery Map” (graphic representation of troubles on a USA map)

Link to AA cancelled flights today (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread in cases of involuntary reroute

Link to archive of this thread, posts 2015-2019

Print Wikipost

Long call wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've called twice in the last week and both times got through after a single ring. Each time it's shocked me.
lbbzman and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by CMK10
I've called twice in the last week and both times got through after a single ring. Each time it's shocked me.
same here
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by allset2travel
I must have not been keeping up to date. Has AA cancelled flights out to August already?

LAX-HKG is nixed all the way through Sept or Oct I believe... I think I could have changed via DFW as that was supposed to return as 3x a week, or like previous poster mentioned, switch to CX. I didn't ask. Under the circumstances, I'm happy to just get a refund and reevaluate the situation in a few months. My final destination was going to be BKK with a few day stopover in HKG, but trying to predict how this is going to shake out and deal with separate PNR's is just too much to deal with.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:14 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Have the hours changed for the phone service? I called the EXP line around 5AM, In several tries, the phone did not even ring; just a couple of beeps and then disconnected.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 6:17 am

I've called several times this week trying to resolve a credit. Getting through has been fast and seamless each time. This morning there was a was a recording stating approximate wait time was 3 minutes. It wasn't more than 30 seconds though.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 8:13 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by aktchi
Have the hours changed for the phone service? I called the EXP line around 5AM, In several tries, the phone did not even ring; just a couple of beeps and then disconnected.
800-843-6200? That is 24/7/365. Sounds like a telco problem, or if you are using a VoIP app, perhaps the VoIP system is having trouble.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:41 pm

I called AA earlier today and got through in under 2 min. It seemed though that I knew more than the agent on the other hand but was eventually able to answer my query.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 5:07 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
3-6-21 Reservations Overwhelmed

I tried all afternoon and into the night to try to call the reservation number and the wait time ranged from 30-60 minutes, for hours on end. I don't think there was bad weather in the country, was it just due to AA saving money and not putting agents on for the weekend? I never got through
Old Mar 7, 2021, 6:56 am

I had the same problem on the evening of March 4th. Although I'm a Platinum member, I waited 1 hour 17 minutes for a callback. The agent couldn't explain the reason for the delay, nor could I.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Something I am noticing constantly is that AA is asking for VDB on the app yet ultimately clears two pages of stand bys. This tells me the number of late shows/no shows for flights is soaring. Lots of people I'm assuming are calling AA realizing they're not going to make their flight. I'd tag this to the "stupification" of society and leave it there.

If AA didn't have a flat tire rule and forced paxs to buy new tickets (probably something the ULCCs do) instead of putting them on standby might cure some of this practice. I know people that fly AA and think nothing of waking up late figuring at worst they will be put on standby for a later flight.
GunsOfNavarone likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 11:08 am
Suspended

I noticed AA's IT was acting up yesterday, tried changing flights and it kept coming up with errors. Finally cancelled one and rebooked it and the other one I went to Twitter and tried to have the agents change it on there and that worked out so it saved me a call.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's an existing thread started yesterday on the same topic -- Impossible to get through to ticket (can't be done online)
Old Mar 7, 2021, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Something I am noticing constantly is that AA is asking for VDB on the app yet ultimately clears two pages of stand bys. This tells me the number of late shows/no shows for flights is soaring. Lots of people I'm assuming are calling AA realizing they're not going to make their flight. I'd tag this to the "stupification" of society and leave it there.
Or they're collecting data on what people would want for VDB. Getting a lot of these offers as well even when they have multiple tickets for sale and semi-open seat maps (obviously not 100%). But I think it's less likely 1/4 of the plane is no showing to clear 2 page of standbys as it is AA is doing some data collection (which is actually smart to do because all their old data on people's travel/VDB/flexibility habits has probably gone out the window in the past year).
Old Mar 7, 2021, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Or they're collecting data on what people would want for VDB. Getting a lot of these offers as well even when they have multiple tickets for sale and semi-open seat maps (obviously not 100%). But I think it's less likely 1/4 of the plane is no showing to clear 2 page of standbys as it is AA is doing some data collection (which is actually smart to do because all their old data on people's travel/VDB/flexibility habits has probably gone out the window in the past year).
If they really are requesting far more volunteers than would be likely to be needed, it could be a result of their low capacity currently, in the case of IROPS. I doubt it's purely for internal research purposes.

I have noticed flights that were wide open suddenly become zeroed out if even just one other flight is delayed. AA's capacity has been so restricted due to COVID-19 (just like other airlines) that, when cancellations/delays happen, it's harder to find other flights to re-accommodate those passengers. Perhaps they're just trying to get a better idea in advance of which passengers have flexible schedules.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 11:35 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
For what it's worth, the wait time to get through on ALASKA Airlines (for comparison) today has been 90-150 minutes, at various times throughout the day that I've called.
They, too, give an option to call back, but I've got better things to do. I'll see how it looks Monday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.